Tutu Taming. Sit tutu sit.

Petalviolet

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you ladies! In cold light of day tried tutu on before school, didn't bother to look just measured snorts of laughter from upstairs - it's going back.

Now that decision is made.....and it has been rather a sad week what with Bowie and Rickman...

...would anyone like cheering up by playing a game with me?

Guess PV's girth.

I've never measured this. I have no idea. Not even a ball park. Could run into the hundreds....? Thousands? I am very curious to know though... Just need to find that measuring tape....

Any chance of a recording of you measuring your poor Dd? ✂↕

Now that was a relatively smooth procedure. Straight down, betwixt legs and up again.

Gets more complicated on me. There's....things to manoeuvre around...peaks and troughs...I could take a shortcut here or there but risk doing self a mischief.

I could only get the ends of the tape to touch.

Maybe it was snagged on something around the back...?

???? ' girth' is a measurement only used in leotards & dancewear. 'Short' girth is the measurement from the centre front waist through the legs and up to the centre back waist- kind of like the crotch seam on a pair of leggings.

'Long' girth is from the top of the shoulder down the front through the legs and back up to the shoulder.

So an average short girth may be 24-28inches (ish) and long girth might be 56-60 (again, ish)

????

• Like 1

I don’t know if this helps but when I have been buying tutus, which I have many, I have supplied this measurement guide and the resulting fit has been absolutely fine. I have had only one exception and that was due the top 2 or 3 layers not being correctly aligned when stitched through on about a quarter of the top surface, undoing a re-stitching was simple to do and fixed the problem.

bth_Tutu%20Requirements_zpsrsz62cg8.jpg

Sorry if the fitting guide cant be read, as its was ok before adding it to the posting.

Edited by Michelle_Richer
  • Like 2

A lady from my ballet class has a lot of experience with tutus, she's made a lot of them herself. I have a Revolution practise tutu from Dance Direct that sticks up just a bit too much, she recommended wearing it around the house with a heavy skirt on top to push it down. She also suggested putting a towel over it and ironing it. I haven't tried either yet since I don't actually need a tutu, I just bought it on a whim, because I wanted a tutu! Just thought I'd pass on her advice in case it helps

Thank you for the advice tabbycool! Update- ordered bigger size which now presents different problems in that is sits better but it's too wide. Now I'm tasked with 'putting a dart' in the back of it. Luckily I have a fairy godmother ballet friend who will (eye rolling, tutting, sighing) do this for me before grand festival debut in a fortnight.

On another note. Your jaunty hat reminds me have discovered not only do I have unmeasurable girth BUT my head circumference is LARGE. Trying on hats not of the beanie variety is now very depressing. I'm basically the elephant man.

• Like 4

Knew there was a reason why we bought tutu skirts without the bodice for our students! So glad you sorted it out!

I have a funny story to add to this wonderful thread -  We ordered new romantic tutu skirts in pale blue net from a dressmaker - 20 of them.  My class put them on and tried out the dance.  It turned out that the tulle was so stiff, that when they lifted their legs the skirt stayed up even after the legs were lowered! Not enough time to make new ones and we couldn't use them like that, so I volunteered to soak a couple of skirts in my bath tub and see if that helped.  Unfortunately not - even after leaving them soaking overnight!  So I stuck them in the washing machine  {normally guaranteed to totally ruin tulle and turn it into a limp rag} and lo and behold they came out perfectly. Am happy to say that coupled with blue leotards the skirts looked lovely on stage!

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 4