Tai chi

taxi4ballet

Does anyone know anything about tai chi? 

I've been thinking that perhaps it's time that I started doing some exercise(!), there's a new beginners drop-in class in a nearby village and I was wondering whether this might fit the bill. What's it like? If anyone has done it before, any information would be really appreciated.

I did Tai Chi a number of years ago.

It is a martial art but if it is being taught for health and recreation it is relaxing and de-stressing as well as helping with suppleness.  It was recommended by the Walton Hospital Chronic Pain Relief Unit at the time I was doing classes.

Our classes started with Qi Gong breathing exercises and moved on to Tai Chi.  There is a sequence of moves that you learn.  

I'd definitely give it a go.  I am thinking of going back, although the class I went to stopped many years ago.

• Like 2

It's like anything else: if you find a good teacher it's great, if not it's not much use.

I like tai chi and have been doing it for about ten years now. I feel that even if you're not really doing it as a martial art - and most people aren't - the teacher needs to understand the martial applications to teach it properly.

It's really good for core strength and vote flexibility, getting into feeling your body and improving balance. I use it as a base practice for ballet, karate, swordsmanship and horse riding.

Memorably Glen Tetley choreographed a contemporary ballet in 1968 based on Tai Chi moves titled Embrace Tiger and Return to Mountain.  It was in Rambert's repertory as a newly formed Contemporary dance company, (after being forced to make the change from being a Classical ballet company by the Arts Council).

• Like 1

I did Tai Chi about ten years ago and absolutely loved it. It reminded me a little bit of classical ballet,in that one movement should flow seamlessly into another. My instructor told me I did it "beautifully",because of my ballet training. 

I did Tai Chi about ten years ago and absolutely loved it. It reminded me a little bit of classical ballet,in that one movement should flow seamlessly into another. My instructor told me I did it "beautifully",because of my ballet training.

I think ballet training is a really good starting point for any martial art. It teaches you awareness of your body and how it works. In doing Taekwondo patterns I find then really easy to pick up and remember (through learning multiple dances and sequences), plus the need for correct technique and perfection in every move is very similar to ballet. I guess that's why I enjoy it!

• Like 1

I think ballet training is a really good starting point for any martial art. It teaches you awareness of your body and how it works. In doing Taekwondo patterns I find then really easy to pick up and remember (through learning multiple dances and sequences), plus the need for correct technique and perfection in every move is very similar to ballet. I guess that's why I enjoy it!

Interestingly we have converse journeys - I got into ballet from karate...  and having no dance background I found the hardest part of the latter was memorizing the kata.  I also recognize that same focus on perfect technique, and the first time I saw 'class' relayed from the ROH, it reminded me of the structure of a karate class, progressing from individual techniques repeated for muscle memory through to combinations/sequences.  Not sure what the ballet equivalent of semi contact sparring is though!

• Like 3

My mother started learning about 10 years ago - it's good for her aging body but the meditative nature of it is wonderful for her mind and has transformed her life. She's also uses the sword, fan and I forget what else, and is able to teach her friends too. I agree a good teacher is important, but lacking that you learn a lot from the people around you as well. I'd recommend trying :-)

• Like 2