York scholars - audition

smallbythesea

DD is auditioning. She tried last year and to be honest I felt there was very much a clique thing going on. (Lots of parents from a couple of dance schools in particular seemed to be competing with each other - lots of boasting about exam marks & festival results & the administrators seemed to be on first name terms with some parents & auditionees, which was quite intimidating to novices like us.) I don't know whether that's the norm with these things, because for many reasons DD has never wanted to go down the vocational route, so maybe I'm just a bit naive about all of this, having such limited experience. DD is the only one from her dance school trying out. She just wants to prove a point to herself to see if she can feel she does better than last year - she's hoping the panel remember her, because last year she fell over doing a double pirouette! I'm sure that made her memorable, but clearly not for the right reasons! What I will say is that they certainly don't keep you waiting for results. I think the yes letters come within a week & the no letter which in our case was very nicely worded (although probably a standard letter) was very encouraging - made DD feel she'd missed out through lack of space on the scheme rather than lack of talent. Am aware this has all probably sounded a bit negative & cynical, which is not the case - I wouldn't have let DD go for it again otherwise. So good luck everyone - your talent will shine through!

• Like 3

Good luck to your DD too Ellington and congrats to her on her determination!!

Lets hope you both find the audition experience more positive this year.

My DD didn't take up the place in the end, despite successfully auditioning for 2 ballet associate schemes last year she decided to take a place on a Contemporary CAT scheme! :)

Edited by Kitschqueen_1
  • Like 1

My dd was the only one from her 'core' dance school auditioning. But there were 2 from the dance school where she goes for extra lessons.

I agree that there did seem to be a lot of people from the same dance schools sat in groups with just the odd one or two of us sat alone. But possibly some dance schools promote associate classes more than others.

I know from previous posts people have said to concentrate on yourself as others might put you off - I warned dd of this beforehand & it did provide some entertainment & distracted my dd from her nerves rather than intimidating her ;)

My dd really enjoyed the experience which is the main thing & actually said she didn't know what she was nervous about. She was absolutely buzzing when she came out.

Now we just have to wait..... I hope the letter is addressed to me - I've already been told that if it's addressed to her I have to wait until she comes home from school :wacko: The suspense will kill me - something I will have to learn!!!!

• Like 1

Pleased to say DD also came out happy! She didn't fall over, which was a bonus! I think she felt more comfortable this year because she knew what to expect. Asked DD how she felt it went & she said "I did everything right & it was 100% better than last year". That's good enough for me, regardless of the result. She's happy with herself = I'm happy!

Smallbythesea - what time were you there? Think your DD might be younger than mine, so in different class.

Think you've made a valid point about some schools maybe not promoting things as my DD's dance school has an associate scheme (Smallbythesea will pm you as it's something you've mentioned in an earlier posting).

Last year letter came addressed to DD , but might be different for younger ones.

• Like 5

I think it's worth noting that the teaching at York is incredible and Shannon Parker who led the class is lovely. For the amount that you pay York Scholars is a very valuable learning experience and the teachers are very much working off their own backs.

• Like 2

It was my DD first audition for York Scholars yesterday too and have to say she loved it and said it was "awesome!" Whether she gets a yes or a no she had a great time and it was a great boost to her confidence. Good luck everyone x

smallbythesea it was great to speak to you in person at last x

• Like 2

a friend of my DS got a scholarship to York last year and knew no-one (and is the first person her teacher has sent there- DS was thinking of going but got an early offer from somewhere he preferred). so you don't necessarily have to be in the 'in' crowd!

Its a yes for my DD shes delighted, sorry your DD had a no smallbythesea but dont give up....my DD had lots of nos until this year (shes now 12) i would have given up trying a long time ago but she is determined that this is what she wants to do......i'm just the taxi driver lol xxx

• Like 3