Tring upper school audition question

Flexible Fred

I know that some 6th form dancers do no A levels but take all the dance classes on offer. It is very much up to each student how many, if any they do. Of course, at the end of the course, the students get the Trinity Diploma which can be converted into a BA so it is not necessary to take A levels. 

If the head of dance has to report on each solo and they are only one minute long, then she has to write sometime.  I think that the solo is important for those who are they are not sure about. If it is an easy 'yes' or 'no' then the decision is probably already made. 

• Like 2

I'm not the first to mention this, my dd put a lot of hard work into this 1 min and felt fully aware of who was watching her whilst she was able to dance and perform, she personally felt the dance teacher was just writing, maybe she did look up but certainly the Jazz teacher was the one fully focussed.

For some children let's appreciate a 1 minute solo is a big thing, they may not perform regularly or dance by themselves.

Edited by balletqueen
  • Like 4

The jazz teacher is an important member of the panel and her opinion is greatly valued, it could be that she has been tasked with assessing the solos,looking for performance quality and versatility. The panel will have already assessed actual technique.

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 2

I might be going off topic a little but my dh runs mock audition sessions for students so they know what to expect when they leave school/college.

He does things like look very bored, text on his mobile phone & once answered a call to prepare the students for what might happen. But he can still give detailed feedback & know whether they are suitable.

Writing & not looking up sounds quite tame in comparison.

• Like 3

A lot of schools do film the auditions. It would be good if Tring did this too. This would then allow the director time to observe each student whilst they were dancing, and then reflect back with her colleague later whilst watching the film. I'm sure these students have spent a lot of time and hard work preparing these solos. Even professional dancers glance up at the audition panel whilst auditioning, they want to know if the panel are interested in them.

I heard that they are auditioning all last week, this week and next week and each day is a double audition day. About 30 students each day, for lots and lots of days. That puts the number of auditionees at around 300+.

That is a lot of forms to fill in. I am sure that everyone gets looked at properly as these people are very experienced in doing this and are able to make the appropriate decisions.   

• Like 2

Interesting points of view here to read. I feel that yes I am sure they have a very good idea of the technical excellence from the ballet and jazz classes. My DC did enjoy the teachers of these classes and the actual class. However if 1 person is going to judge a 1 minute solo they should have the decency to watch it. As mentioned previously this is a solo that has had lots of thought and time put into it (maybe money also) and children of 15/16 are keen to show themselves off to their best ability and this solo is their chance to shine in a sea of faces. When they don't get that opportunity this can lead to an obvious negative feeling. If you don't get a place then c'est la vie but at least you would feel you've been given a fair and valued audition otherwise don't get them to do a solo in the first place. If the Head of Dance must write during, then a scribe would be a good idea like at dance festivals. My dc didn't feel the other teachers had much influence really as they weren't taking notes, often teaching the class or playing the music- the children didn't have numbers so in terms of reporting back after the class this would have been incredibly difficult....but that maybe just my dc's impression. It's very sad as my dc has done quite a few auditions recently but regretfully came out of Tring incredibly deflated and a little frustrated. She has had really positive experiences in all her others and actually enjoyed the experience and learnt something each time. I agree most of my dc auditions have been filmed! Great idea especially with so many!

I believe this isn't how it should be (or is) at dance auditions/high profile dance establishments for children (remembering they are children and are looking for training not a job) as Dc has been to some of the best in the country and felt completely differently. I'm sure it's not going to change but what a pity because everything else is just sublime.

• Like 3

I think you will find the other teachers on the panel are hugely influential and their memories for faces and bodies is outstanding. They will know very quickly who they are interested in and who they are not. A very quick succinct communication between them is all that is necessary at that stage.

The upper school auditions are tough and not for the feint hearted these young people must be resilient. Talent is only one element of making it as a professional dancer and let's face it, at this level, the main thought has to be, will this person stand a chance of making it as a professional. The head of dance, not watching the solo is really no big deal at all.

However, your dd feelings are absolutely the most important thing. Clearly, this would not be the correct school for her.

• Like 4

My friend said that her daughter had a 1:1 chat with the director and that all the students were spoken to individually before they did their actual solo who watched the whole thing and complimented her afterwards. The girl was thrilled. Dont think many schools take the time to speak with them one by one in the first audition. I think that this is a really good way to get to know each one personally. My friend also said that the head of the school mentioned over 500 auditioning this year.....

• Like 1

I think you will find the other teachers on the panel are hugely influential and their memories for faces and bodies is outstanding. They will know very quickly who they are interested in and who they are not. A very quick succinct communication between them is all that is necessary at that stage.

The upper school auditions are tough and not for the feint hearted these young people must be resilient. Talent is only one element of making it as a professional dancer and let's face it, at this level, the main thought has to be, will this person stand a chance of making it as a professional. The head of dance, not watching the solo is really no big deal at all.

However, your dd feelings are absolutely the most important thing. Clearly, this would not be the correct school for her.

I thank you for your opinion Harwel. You clearly speak with a lot of knowledge and conviction about the teachers, how they communicate and whether the solo has any impact, so I gather from this you know the institution and the teachers very well! However what you do not know is my dc and whether this would or would not be the right school. I value your opinion but I don't agree with it.

Thankfully my dc has not experienced this at any other audition so this behaviour is clearly in the minority at dance institutions - phew!. What I would say to all the other parents going through this my dc has now received 4 offers so far, so if your dc does have a negative feeling in an audition hopefully there is something that will lift their spirits just around the corner. My dc's first choice at this minute is Rambert but who knows what tomorrow's post will bring. Exciting times for all and I wish everyone good luck!

• Like 4

My friend said that her daughter had a 1:1 chat with the director and that all the students were spoken to individually before they did their actual solo who watched the whole thing and complimented her afterwards. The girl was thrilled. Dont think many schools take the time to speak with them one by one in the first audition. I think that this is a really good way to get to know each one personally. My friend also said that the head of the school mentioned over 500 auditioning this year.....

That's great to hear! Unfortunately this definitely didn't happen with any of the children on my DC's audition (or both of my friend's children) as there just wasn't any time but that's good to hear this happened for your friend as a personal touch does make the children feel valued. :D

• Like 1

My daughter had her audition at Tring on Tuesday and I must comment that it was the most caring school we have visited. The staff show complete understanding as to how the auditionees are feeling and do their utmost to help them feel at ease. My daughter said both the panel watched her during the audition and they did centre exercises in twos which is so much better than the other auditions attended. Both the panel watched her entire solo and the director asked her questions about it. In all she came away from the whole experience very excited and I felt her confidence had been boosted greatly.

• Like 3

However what you do not know is my dc and whether this would or would not be the right school. I value your opinion but I don't agree with it

What a very interesting viewpoint. The fact that you and your dd have been so negatively impacted by the audition process at Tring, I'm surprised that you could consider it the correct school for her.

Many congratulations to your dd for her audition successes. The right school will become apparent in the fullness of time.

My daughter had her audition at Tring on Tuesday and I must comment that it was the most caring school we have visited. The staff show complete understanding as to how the auditionees are feeling and do their utmost to help them feel at ease. My daughter said both the panel watched her during the audition and they did centre exercises in twos which is so much better than the other auditions attended. Both the panel watched her entire solo and the director asked her questions about it. In all she came away from the whole experience very excited and I felt her confidence had been boosted greatly.

That's really great news dancing10 - good luck to her. :)

• 1 month later...