Tring upper school audition question

Flexible Fred

Hi all

My Dd has her tring upper school in a few weeks and wondered if anyone can help me with putting her mind at rest about the academic test.

Is it just general maths and English questions ?

Also I've been on line looking for jazz pants

Ok I have found various styles and wondered which ones would I get

Short type, long with a flare bottom, stirrups or footless ones all seemed to be classed as jazz pants

What are your opinions ?

There is no academic test for upper school- well there was nt last year.

My dd didnt have Jazz pants for audition just wore black leggings and bare feet. I would say any style is fine as long as your dd happy in them.

Would it be worth double checking though dancing10 as on the website it says academic tests are only for under 16? Either way i am sure there is nothing to worry about! And good luck to your dd.

Edited for spelli g

Edited by chaperone

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

My dc has had a few auditions recently, so I'm happy to give any advice as I know it is such an unpredictable time for all.

Sadly she really didn't have a very nice experience at her Tring audition which we were really upset about - such as shame as this was her favourite but we're not very hopeful for the result. :(  :(  :(  :(  

However I am very happy to give balanced advice on what the audition entails....On the plus side she has had an offer from Rambert.  :D

• Like 1

Well this year you either had morning or afternoon slot. It was the shortest of dc auditions. It began with a talk from the Head, Deputy, Head of Dance and Head of Academic studies, this lasted about 10/15mins. Then 2 students talk us on a 45min tour - the students were lovely! Then the parents left so from this point it is from the perspective of my her dc and her other dancing friends. The first thing was about an hour long ballet lesson, followed by the jazz/commercial class (which was half the time of the ballet lesson). Then they went in 1 at a time to do their solo. After that the academic test on computers. However we were all assured that this wouldn't effect the result of the audition. My dc said it was quite a 'common sense' test, when she described it it sounded like a cognitive test... but I'm not sure.... and that's it. Quite short. I think if your dc wants to they have the opportunity to play an instrument or sing. Ask if you need to know anything else. Hope that helps. x

My daughter said are they using the new studios for auditions and have they said how long results take .....sorry to be a pain x

No problem dancing10, yes that's right the auditions were held in the new studios. They said about 3 weeks..... a long time in comparison to her other auditions. x

Tell her not to worry at all about her solo! My dc did a lyrical contemporary solo but anything goes. I would advise her to do a genre she feels the most confident doing. The Head of Dance sees a lot of ballet so if she feels confident with contemporary go for it. They don't do any pointe work in the audition so if she's strong and confident, go for that. Tbh my dc and friends were very disappointed with this part of the audition as the Head of dance did't even watch them, she wrote the whole time and looked up at the end. Hopefully that won't happen for you but my dc and friends felt the Head of Dance had made her mind up in the initial lessons prior to the solo and the solos weren't really valued. However hopefully your dd may have a different experience.  :D

My Dd is auditioning for tring this month and is also worried about her solo, two of her friends are doing their ballet dance on pointe and she is not, , will this go against her ?

Hate these auditions I can feel her nerves building already, she seems to fall apart with the pressure of them

Apparently not filmed, my ds also said she was writing but that she was glancing up as she wrote, he said he was too busy concentrating to really see what she was doing!! He also described the academic test to me and it definitely sounded like more of a common sense/finishing sentences thing.

I can't imagine a 1 minute dance solo will make or break the audition. The class is by far the most important element IMO, this shows physique, technique and dance quality. Also, am pretty sure the other panellist is perfectly highly qualified to judge the quality of the solo

• Like 4