Summer School New York

Aklf

We are planning a trip to New York during summer and wondering if anyone cAn recommend a good classical summer school suitable for an 11yr old? I fear I may be quite late in applying?! Thanks.

You could look at the main dance studios in NYC (google these names & you'll get their websites)

Steps on Broadway

Broadway Dance Centre

Peridance

Ballet Arts East

Alvin Ailey

Joffrey

to see what they offer for children. Open classes at those studios won't be suitable until a child is 16 or so.

The US "sister" site to this one, Ballet Talk for Dancers, has lots of information about summer intensives. Most seem to be around 5-6 weeks long however, as US summer holidays are much longer, and there's a tradition of going away to camp in north America.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I live in the US and my DD has attended the Gelsey Kirkland Summer Intensive and Ellison Ballet.  Both are very good programs.  The ABT Summer Intensive is also considered a very good program.  We have known many friends to attend that program as well.  My DD will be attending Ellison Ballet's programs again this summer.

• Like 1

There is the American Academy of Ballet Summer Intensive in Purchase College, State University of New York, Purchase, NY. You can attend that for one to four weeks, I believe.  They have a page on Facebook.  It's a very good summer school. I've had several students go there over the years, with partial scholarships luckily for them - two going this year, but they're 14 going on 15.  They do have younger students though as well.  They will accept individual applications - probably with a video or something.

I am in the US. This was our first summer intensive "season" here as my daughter will be turning 10. The season seems to start early January, and is ending now with audition tours almost over and deadlines looming.

I let my daughter audition for a few programs and she had a ball:) She was accepted to the programs, so I am now facing deadlines and trying to decide. It was a surprise for me that we have these choices! I'm glad to hear of a positive experience at Gelsey Kirkland...we have to choose between Gelsey Kirkland, Joffrey Academy (Chicago), and Bolshoi. My daughter loved the Gelsey Kirkland audition and wants to go. So I think that's what we'll do. We gave it a try at RBS and were waitlisted. And waiting on Paris Opera, but that, like RBS, is a long shot! It's been fun, eye opening, and I think will result in a great three weeks at intensive in NYC!

The site mentioned is wonderful...full of lots of reviews that have been very informative.