English National Ballet mash-up with Flawless

The two companies collaborated to create 'Against Time'. A fun piece, and an entertaining evening now on tour... (see ENB website)

7161199197_9f5b2153ac_z.jpg

Alison McWhinney and Leroy Dias dos Santos (of ENB and Flawless)

© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

7346396800_1f1ac6def9_z.jpg

Gem Choi as Pierrot Doll

7161214369_eaca738a2f_z.jpg

Detention!

See more...

Set on Flickr of Flawless/ENB's Against Time

Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 2

This performance was such a lot of fun and we all left on a real high. I can only imagine the work that must have gone in to putting the two very different styles of dance together to create what I felt was such a natural result. My favourite pieces were the pas de deux which was quite simply beautiful and the masquerade ball; gripping and dramatic! I would definitely recommend it. The final highlight for my youngest daughter was having her program signed and getting a cuddle from 'Bounce'!

• 3 weeks later...

A fun piece, and an entertaining evening now on tour

This is how DaveM describes it and I agree having seen it in Aylesbury yesterday afternoon. JohnRoss in his posting above says *I thought the two groups were great, wonderful energy"

And he ts right which leaves me to say that you really are watching two groups with the emphasis heavily on the excellent and fun to watch Flawless. The ENB dancers were beautiful and clearly enjoyed themselves but I didn't feel that they were given equal credit, especially at the end in which each member of Flawless did their own little routine bow whereas the girls took their reverence en masse. Couldn't have they each have have performed some breathtaking Ballet?

The storyline is easy to follow, just as well because the sound was so loud that the narration was distorted- also the heavy beat of much of the music was all pervasive. Take earplugs if you've got sensitive ears. Although obviously it doesn't follow that all performances will suffer from this as all Theatres are different.

I loved all the dancers and there were some very clever and entertaining scenes played out on a very simply dressed stage, with heavy reliance on the use of projection to move the story along. The routines were all well put together although at times Flawness were not as "tight" as they can be, equally so the ENB dancers were not always together. But everyone performed with enthusiasm.

However there was one serious error in my view. There was not one male ballet dancer. I longed for someone like Acosta or McRae to sail over the top of Flawless and show that its not just girls who perform Ballet and that male ballet dancers are pretty impressive too. The only time Ballet was performed by Flawless was to send it up- although they were funny it was sending a message to a young audience that only girls do Ballet ,boys do street. Although I am sure that it was not the shows intention to stereotype Ballet and street in this way, that is how it came across to me and the people who I was with.

If a similar "fusion" is ever tried again (and parts of it worked very well), I do hope that greater care is given to the way Ballet in particular is presented so that audiences not familiar with this wonderful art form are not given the impression that it is all pretty girls in pointe shoes and tutus!

Edited by hfbrew

However there was one serious error in my view. There was not one male ballet dancer. I longed for someone like Acosta or McRae to sail over the top of Flawless and show that its not just girls who perform Ballet and that male ballet dancers are pretty impressive too. The only time Ballet was performed by Flawless was to send it up- although they were funny it was sending a message to a young audience that only girls do Ballet ,boys do street.

Good point, and one I hope they do take on board.

The storyline is easy to follow, just as well because the sound was so loud that the narration was distorted- also the heavy beat of much of the music was all pervasive. Take earplugs if you've got sensitive ears. Although obviously it doesn't follow that all performances will suffer from this as all Theatres are different.

Interesting you should mention this as it's such a new theatre - the acoustics should be top notch. Was it just that somebody had turned the volume up to No 11?

Interesting you should mention this as it's such a new theatre - the acoustics should be top notch. Was it just that somebody had turned the volume up to No 11?

Very possibly. It is a new theatre with excellent acoustics but it was definately as if someone had just cranked up the volume without any thought for clarity!