• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from the Bolshoi Babylon website: http://www.bolshoibabylon.com/

SCREENINGS

In cinemas from Friday 8th January

Special event screenings Sunday 10th January, with live broadcast Q&A featuring very special guests

JW3, Finchley Road

Eden Court INVERNESS

Vue Carlisle

Vue Cheshire Oaks

Vue Finchley Rd

Vue Harrow

Vue Islington

Vue Leeds Kirkstall

Vue Newcastle under Lyme

Vue Plymouth

Vue Portsmouth

Vue Reading

Vue Shepherds Bush

Vue Southport

Vue Staines

Vue Stroud

Vue Thanet/Westwood Cross

Vue WorcesteR

DCA DUNDEE

Wotton Electric Picture House WOTTON-UNDER-EGDE

Marina LOWESTOFT

Glasgow Film Theatre

Errol Flynn Filmhouse NORTHAMPTON

Kino HAWKHURST

Kino Rye

Odeon Beckenham

Odeon Blackpool

Odeon Dunfermline

Odeon Epsom

Odeon Guildford

Odeon Harrogate

Odeon Lincoln

Odeon Salisbury

Odeon Taunton

Odeon Tunbridge Wells

Odeon South Woodford

Odeon Southend

Odeon Maidenhead

Odeon Wimbledon

• Like 2

What a great source of Information BalletCoForum is !!! I was trying to find out the screenings in Germany unsuccesfully so far and am more than delighted to find here that I will be able to get it via ITunes or Amazon :-) 

As much as I want to see the documentary I'm having very mixed emotions about what we are going to be seeing.

Bolshoi Babylon is now also to be shown - certainly in London - in Picturehouse Cinemas on 10h January.  They also note Screen Arts programme additions of presentations of AMP's The Car Man and the Alvin Ailey and Ballet Hispanico companies.  I just got this newsletter from the Brixton Ritzy Cinema where I am a member.  (It also identifies the participants in the Q&A for the Bolshoi programme).

Join us at selected cinemas for Bolshoi Babylon, a documentary that gives a candid and often irreverent glimpse into life behind the scenes at Russia's most prestigious institution. 

On Sunday 10 January at 3.00, live via satellite, Bolshoi principal dancer Anastasia Meskova will be joining the filmmakers and historian Simon Sebag Montefiore for a Q&A after the film.

Tickets are on sale now to Picturehouse Members, and go on sale to non-Members on Monday 21 December.

Full price £10.50 / retired and students £9.50
Members £8.50 / Retired and Student Members £7.50
children £6

Tickets can be booked online, by telephone on 0871 902 5747, or in person at the Box Office. Calls cost 13p a minute plus your telephone company's access charge.       Love dance? Tickets are also now on sale at selected cinemas for Matthew Bourne's The Car Man(Monday 9 May), plus two special shows from the Great American Dance Series: Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater Mixed Programme(Monday 23 May) and Ballet Hispanico Double Bill (Monday 13 June).  

Edited by Bruce Wall

I've just looked up where it is on locally to me (Vue Southport is my closest) and it looks as though it is only on there on 10th.  That may not be the case elsewhere, especially in London.

There is some good background reading in the links today:

Q&A - Maria Alexandrova of the Bolshoi:  Gia Kourlas, NY Times

Q&A Anastasia Meskova on the Bolshoi:  Gia Kourlas, NY Times

Feature - Bolshoi Babylon documentary:  

Gia Kourlas, NY Times

Tim Teeman, Daily Beast

You can watch it online here. [Link removed]

There may be one or 2 questionable adverts, keep pressing the play button. The links and watching are fine and legal etc here in Switzerland. I have no idea about your countries, but for your information it is provided.

Edited by John Mallinson
Link removed - see my posting #17 below.

The Facebook Page "The Bolshoi Ballet School" refers to Tsiskaridze's participation in the documentary:

"The interesting fact about the film - Tsiskaridze refused to take the part of the film, refused to give the interview, so producers rip of old interviews from 2013 without asking Tsiskaridze's permission."

According to the info on that FB page this page is not the official Bolshoi Ballet School itself, but it states  there about this page like this:

"This page is not official Bolshoi Ballet Academy page. Worked there 11 years, but not anymore. (Ilya Kuznetsov)"

I hope it's ok to refer to the FB page here - if not and the Moderators of BalletcoForum disagree I will remove my post.

Just thought this is interesting to know - wonder how the producers of the documentary view that and would respond to that.

Alison,

there are TWO Ilya Kuznetsovs in Russia.

One from the Mariinsky in St. Petersburg is well known here:  http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/archive/kuznetsov/

About another one, in Moscow, you can read here: http://ilyaballet.tumblr.com/aboutme

He was a soloist with the Bolshoi and with some smaller companies and from 2002 was teaching at the Bolshoi Ballet Academy. An excellent teacher. Lantratov was among his pupils. In June 2015 on Tsiskaridze’s invitation he moved to Vaganova Academy, St.Petersburg, as a teacher and Head of Department.

• Like 1

You can watch it online here.

There may be one or 2 questionable adverts, keep pressing the play button. The links and watching are fine and legal etc here in Switzerland. I have no idea about your countries, but for your information it is provided.

I have removed the link to the Bolshoi Babylon video. 

The reason for doing so is that when I clicked the Play button I received a popup message saying that my Mac had been infected with a virus and wanting to take me to a site promoting the MacKeeper application to scan my system. As far as I know there are no Mac viruses in the wild and a virus scanner (not MacKeeper) shows no problem on my system. A MacKeeper license is sold for between £72 and £142 per year.

If you google MacKeeper you will find very worrying opinions of their marketing practices. It is not entirely clear to me what is going on here but better safe than sorry.
  • Like 5

Let me reinforce John's warning concerning MacKeeper, above.  Some years ago, I foolishly allowed myself to be taken in by the sudden and dramatically choreographed appearance of a 'virus' on my Mac, followed almost immediately by the appearance of a message saying that purchase of MacKeeper would put things right.  I foolishly went ahead and, after further investigation, discovered that this was a fraudulent operation.  As I recall, it all occurred as I was coming out of looking at Google Images associated with some aviation-related topic and happily that's never been repeated.

Wait and see the movie in a cinema!

Dear all, 

Apologies for the confusion, and I thought that saying ' there will be a couple of dubious advertisements would cover the 'mackeeper' and 'virus' issues. I should have acted more carefully or explained more thoroughly.

However for those who want to watch the movie, I will not repost the link, but I will say that it is good practice to download a 'pop up blocker' to save yourself from dubious advertisements from other sites if possible.

I can assure that the link works, on my Forum reputation, and that if you click it 3 times ignoring and closing any silly advertisements you can watch it in very good quality.

I leave it up to you, i do apologise for any worries caused.

Merry christmas

SBF

Dear all, 

Apologies for the confusion, and I thought that saying ' there will be a couple of dubious advertisements would cover the 'mackeeper' and 'virus' issues. I should have acted more carefully or explained more thoroughly.

However for those who want to watch the movie, I will not repost the link, but I will say that it is good practice to download a 'pop up blocker' to save yourself from dubious advertisements from other sites if possible.

I can assure that the link works, on my Forum reputation, and that if you click it 3 times ignoring and closing any silly advertisements you can watch it in very good quality.

I leave it up to you, i do apologise for any worries caused.

Merry christmas

SBF

Thanks for your recommendation, SBF.  Just wanted to say that I had no problem watching the documentary online with the necessary ad blockers such as you suggested.  Indeed I had no ads come up at any time whatsoever so was entirely spared and was able to watch this in sections around doing work I was required to finish ... which I certainly couldn't have done at the cinema.  Again, thank you.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Thanks for your recommendation, SBF.  Just wanted to say that I had no problem watching the documentary online with the necessary ad blockers such as you suggested.  Indeed I had no ads come up at any time whatsoever so was entirely spared and was able to watch this in sections around doing work I was required to finish ... which I certainly couldn't have done at the cinema.  Again, thank you.  

You are very welcome bruce.

Maybe you would like to repost the link with maybe the adblocker you used and some tips? I feel it maybe more useful coming from you :)

I am glad you enjoyed it, and also, the reason you say the benefits of watching from home is why I often search for and post performances that are being streamed online from Bolshoi, La Scala etc. 

For anyone interested to watch "The Bolshoi Babylon"

The film is on youtube

Am I allowed to post the link?

Just in case, type in youtube's search "Bolshoi Ballet Documentary Filin Urin Tsiskaridze Alexandrova"

and ... enjoy!

• Like 1

For anyone interested to watch "The Bolshoi Babylon"

The film is on youtube

Am I allowed to post the link?

Just in case, type in youtube's search "Bolshoi Ballet Documentary Filin Urin Tsiskaridze Alexandrova"

and ... enjoy!

Sound isn't great, but its a nice link, and without any complications from advertisements.

Please don't.

OK, well, then search for 'watch bolshoi babylon online' if you fancy. Don't believe you have a virus, don't give anyone any private information or pay for anything. Just watch and google an adblocker or 'pop up blocker' and post any questions if you like.

Edited by SwissBalletFan

Watched the film tonight and feeling a bit indecisive - did we learn anything new ? I didn't know that Sergei Filin had left the Stanislawsky Theater on bad terms when accepting the job at the Bolshoi - putting the boot in came to my mind when watching the scenes of the assembly. Interesting though to get first hand impressions of the weeks and months right after the attack.

• Like 1

I watched the film today all I can say is that I am very glad I didn't pay however much to see it at the cinema as it contains little ballet and really just a rather sad tale of the woe at the Bolshoi. If anything I am glad Filin went for his sake and the for the company and Mr Urin has a steep hill to climb but I think he'll do it.

I watched the film on the web browser on my tv so it looked good and was so much more comfy than on a PC. Sadly I seem to have missed the time slot for La Dame aux Camellias, bother.

• Like 1

I thought it was pretty sad that several dancers from the Vaganova Academy went to the Bolshoi rather than the Mariinsky company because the Mariinsky apparently had problems (at least that's why I thought the likes of Evgenia Obraztsova and Olga Smirnova went to Moscow). If the goings on at the Bolshoi really are less bad than the state at the Mariinsky, the latter must really be in trouble.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 1

I had started watching BB on Youtube and saved it to my Favourites, but when I went back to it today, there is a notice saying it has been taken down for copyright infringement.

and rightly so. it's pretty flagrant when someone calls themselves "BBC Documentary" and then posts whole BBC documentaries to youtube within days of their public release.

• Like 2