Pointe shoes HELP

charlie4dancin

This is my first post having lurked for some time.

Wondered if anyone in the know could give advice on my DD pointe shoes. After lots of trial and error her shoe of choice is Bloch synergy (S0100), she has both a strong foot and good arch. They have been lasting roughly a term, if she swaps between two pairs, before becoming too soft to wear. One of her current pairs, after just a few weeks wear, has come apart. The insole and the 'bit' underneath are loose and flappy at the heel end - now only glued at the toe end! Have got another pair in reserve which will hopefully see her through until the end of term.

Is it safe for her to carry on using this pair? Would she be better in a 3/4 shank? The bloch site says the 3/4 allows more flexibility - is this a good idea for a 13 yr old?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Jane, I don't know know whether they are truly unsafe, but I would certainly advise caution as loose pieces will cause chafing or blisters, if nothing else. We listened to Anjuli when we bought DD's shoes and went for a 3/4 with her very first pair. They did not fit properly and she was refitted with possibly disastrous effect as I have said, but the fitter said she did not need a 3/4 shank. It is however, normal for dancers just beginning pointe.

This is my first post having lurked for some time.

Wondered if anyone in the know could give advice on my DD pointe shoes. After lots of trial and error her shoe of choice is Bloch synergy (S0100), she has both a strong foot and good arch. They have been lasting roughly a term, if she swaps between two pairs, before becoming too soft to wear. One of her current pairs, after just a few weeks wear, has come apart. The insole and the 'bit' underneath are loose and flappy at the heel end - now only glued at the toe end! Have got another pair in reserve which will hopefully see her through until the end of term.

Is it safe for her to carry on using this pair? Would she be better in a 3/4 shank? The bloch site says the 3/4 allows more flexibility - is this a good idea for a 13 yr old?

If the shoes are broken I would not advise that she use them. Even if she has a strong foot, it still needs support and a broken shoe is not providing that.

Ask the teacher whether a 3/4 shank is correct for her.

I would be interested to know the type of foot a 3/4 shank is suitable for.

Well, that's a good question, but with any attempted description there will be exceptions. There are many variables. It's definitely a strong foot with an arch that proceeds from the ankle joint. There is an excellent picture of it in Celia Sparger's "Anatomy and Ballet" on page 44 - both as a regular photo and as an X-ray.

But it also has to do with the shape and length of the toes, how the body is otherwise constructed (tightly/loosely), and how the student has learned to work with and engaged both core strength and center of balance.

This is really something that the teacher has to decide.

Hi Jane, we had a problem earlier this year with a Freed shoe where the back separated in a strange way. I just thought my DD needed a new pair of shoes, but took the old pair with me,. The fitter looked at them and decided they were possibly faulty. She spoke to Freed and sent back the shoes. I had a phone call a few weeks later to say they had been replaced, so our next pair of shoes would be free of charge. Guess the message is, ask and question, shoes aren't always perfect.

NL

• Like 4

"shoes aren't always perfect."

The shoes are never perfect....you just need to find the best of the lot. Once you've selected the make, style and size - have the fitter bring out every pair and try them all on.

Thank you for all replies. I will take the shoes with us when I take DD for another fitting. I think she has used this style for over a year and although they seem to get too soft after a term and need replacing, this is the first pair that have separated like this after just a few weeks wear. Hoping the replacement pair we had in reserve last her through until the end of term and then I think she may have to consider a different style or make. She won't be happy about it but isn't doing that much pointe work yet and as the quantity increases the shoes are going to need to last more than a week or two!

Jane

• Like 1

Interestingly, one or two Bloch models are actually designed so that the innersole/shank is not glued to the satin at the heel; I remember Tiffany showing us a pair. She did explain why but I can't remember!

DD had a pair and it didn't affect her pointework, but it certainly made the shoes easier to de-shank afterwards! :-)

• Like 1

Having said what I said, my DD is back in her pointe shoes again and persevering!!! She says Christine in " The Phantom of Opera" has to do pointe and wants the part so she is prepared to suffer!

• Like 1

Fiz, My dd had Aspirations after a couple of pairs of Gaynor Minden. Her teacher hated them, from what I can remember I think it was the length of the vamp and how hard they were. Dd was determined to prove her wrong and spent every spare moment in them until they worked for her. Teacher had to admit after a couple of lessons that they were suitable for her foot but I can remember the tears and traumas over those shoes as well as blisters. She went onto have several pairs of Aspirations before moving onto Synergy and they did become easier to break in. Good luck to your determined dd with them.

• Like 1

I cannot recomment Freed in Covent Garden highly enough...particularly a fitter named Sophie who spent an hour with my DD and highlighted whatt could well be causing an ongoing problem with her. She asked to see her again in the summer and made some excellent suggestions. We were only in to check if her current shoes were right so didn't buy anything. Fantastic service for anyone who favours Freed shoes.

• Like 2

Thanks Kiwimum, that's great to know. On the basis of that - and because the fabulous Tiffany has left Bloch - dd is definitely going to try to see Sophie at Freed next time she needs new shoes. She's never tried Freed pointes before so it will be an interesting exercise.

• Like 1

Glad to say my dd finally got a new pair of pointe shoes yesterday :) and after months of struggling with aspirations she is delighted with her new Grishkos... She is more comfortable in her new shoes and her feet look more flattering too ;)

Thanks for all the super advise

Cx

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried Suffolk Pointe shoes? Dd advised to go there though its a trek so I'd be interested to hear if anyone else tried them and they have n't been mentioned in pointe related discussions from what I can tell.

A friend used to swear by Suffolk pointe, though personally I've never experienced them, her shoes were allways beautifully fitted! But pointe shoes are such personel things I think the best thing to do is try as many as you can throughout your ballet journey until you find a pair your happy with and a fitter you trust, this will take a while whilst you're feet change shape/get stronger/grow!

The best advice I was ever given regards to pointe shoes was that once you have a pair you love, wear them in class until there at that "perfect" stage of broken-in-ness (new word?) then put them away and save them for shows/exams/festivals, and get a new pair on the go for class to start the process again, if I'm making sense? This way you allways have a shoe on the go and a pair perfectly broken in ready for an important date! Perfect for a busy dancer, and that way you never get caught out with a pair of rock hard shoes the day before an exam!

• Like 4

My DD is in suffolks at the moment and likes them very much. We buy from Capezio in London which is not the best because they don't always have all sizes. We would love to get to the factory for a fitting have heard many good things about the fittings there but it is to far. X

My dd is currently on her second pair of Suffolk pointe shoes and absolutely loves them. Over the last few years she has had Capezios, Bloch, Griscko and several different styles of Freeds. She has tried on Gaynor's a couple of times and whilst they felt great, she never liked the look of them. She really does love her Suffolks and gets on with them really well.

Over the years I think my dd has tried just about every make of pointe shoes! She often finds a style she likes but will still shop around and try other styles/makes rather than just buying the same shoe. Not sure if she is unusual but she doesn't wear only one style/make at a time. I know she has different shoes for pas de deux and for normal classwork and yet another type for performances. I think for performances its Bloch balance european as they are quieter but they don't last long so she has both bloch b morphs and some grishko 2007s for everyday class. Not sure about pas de deux but know she does have a type just for these classes! Certainly now she has to buy her own shoes how long they last is an important factor!

• Like 2

Thanks for advice re: suffolk pointe. Sounds like its worth the trek from quality point of view though maybe not a sustainable approach to pointe shoe buying when 50 mile car journey involved but as teacher is saying its the best option for dd bendy feet Its probably worth the effort...

• Like 1

charlie4dancin,

I live in the north and have tried a variety of pointe shoe fitters countrywide as my eldest was at White Lodge. Best pointe shoe fitter is Dorothy who owns Barnums in Warrington. You have to make an appointment. If its first time you have to leave 1hr free. Otherwise at least 30mins.

• Like 2

We had an appointment for a pointe shoe fitting this coming Thursday, the last chance we have before summer school. Unfortunately the lady left a message today cancelling the appointment due to illness. We have already spent money (alot of money) on the train fare to London and can't afford to waste it. We need to ring round tomorrow to try and get an appointment somewhere else. Her current (first pair) of pointes are Freed vcuts but they are not only too small now but broken. However, she has been really happy with them and has had no problems, not even a blister. Do you think I should just try and make an appointment at Freed's? Will Covent Garden shops be able to fit us in at such short notice? We are feeling a bit desperate :(. Thanks in advance.