Ricardo Cervera last performance at RB

It has been stated publicly that he has been preparing to coach the Ashton rep. so it seems quite likely that he will remain with the RB.

Ricardo's dancing has given me a lot of pleasure over the years and I am so pleased that I shall see him one last time on 9th Dec.

I do hope that he gets a rousing reception then and (especially) on the 12th.

• Like 4

And probably won't be announced officially until the end of the season.

So its a big thank you  to Mr and Mrs BBB (I think?) to let those know, who can attend the performance and give him a big farewell.

Is there a reason he doesn't get an announced farewell from the crowd or management? 

It's such a pity the RB doesn't give advance notice for retirement of First Soloists, especially when they are loved as much as Ric. I'm gutted I won't be there to acknowledge his retirement from the stage & to express thanks for pleasure his performances have given over the years. I hope someone will report.

• Like 6

It struck me tonight that there are two places where it would be nice to welcome Ricardo on stage with clapping in his last show: either when he jumps up out of the bed or (perhaps even better) when he rises from the floor after the battle to that wonderful music.

Unfortunately, I haven't got tickets but I do hope that something like this might happen - as well as extra cheers at the end (which he got tonight, I'm pleased to say).

• Like 1

And the press release has just come in:

News Announcement

Thursday 10 December 2015

First Soloist Ricardo Cervera will make his last appearance as a dancer with The Royal Ballet on 12 December after 22 years with the Company. His final performance will be as Hans-Peter in The Nutcracker, he will continue in his role as Assistant Ballet Master.

Cervera has performed a broad range of repertory since joining The Royal Ballet in 1993, from the 19th-century classics and 20th-century heritage ballets by Frederick Ashton and Kenneth MacMillan to contemporary works by the Company’s associated choreographers Wayne McGregor, Christopher Wheeldon and Liam Scarlett.

Born in Malaga, Cervera grew up in Torremolinos and trained at The Royal Ballet Upper School before joining the Company in 1993. He was promoted to First Artist in 1996, Soloist in 1999 and First Soloist in 2002. He was appointed Assistant Ballet Master in 2014 and trained as a répétiteur on the Frederick Ashton Foundation’s mentoring scheme.

Director Kevin O’Hare says, ‘Ricardo has been a wonderful member of the Company for more than two decades and has given outstanding performances in a variety of roles from the drama of Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet and Lescaut in Manon to the exuberance of Colas in La Fille mal gardée and Hans-Peter in The Nutcracker. He featured memorably as Hans-Peter in our Nutcracker DVD so it seems fitting that we should see him in this signature role at his final performance. We look forward to him continuing to work closely with us on the artistic faculty.’

• Like 1