Roberta Marquez to leave the Royal Ballet

Well, I don't think anyone's going to be surprised given the company's scheduling this season and how underused she's been - although the lateness of the announcement is perhaps a bit surprising.  Was she not down to do Sugar Plum Fairy?  I can't say I'd looked that closely.  I wish her all the best, whatever she's going to do.

• Like 1

I am glad she will get a decent send-off in 2016/17 and I hope I'll be there. I treasure the memory of her as Lise and in "Onegin" with Thiago Soares a few years ago.

She and Soares were in the Brazilian section of the London 2012 Paralympics Closing Ceremony:perhaps she is involved in the Rio Olympics next year?

• Like 2

She wasn't always one of my favourite dancers but I thought her Lise was outstanding and, perhaps unexpectedly, her Manon. I also think it's a great pity that her partnership with Alexander Campbell, which was so delightful in Don Q and Fille, wasn't extended into Two Pigeons.

Looking at the 15/16 casting this news is scarcely a surprise though and I too am surprised that the ROH has left it so late officially to confirm what so many of us were, perhaps improperly, speculating on several months ago...

• Like 2

Everyone I've passed this news on to has been dismayed. I wish her well in the future.

I think the dismay is occasioned, quite as much as anything else, by the way n which she has, seemingly, been side lined.... Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 4

Well, I don't think anyone's going to be surprised given the company's scheduling this season and how underused she's been - although the lateness of the announcement is perhaps a bit surprising. Was she not down to do Sugar Plum Fairy? I can't say I'd looked that closely. I wish her all the best, whatever she's going to do.

No, she wasn't cast in Nutcracker (nor n Pigeons or Giselle) so the situation seemed very clear from management perspective; I just wonder why it has taken so long to become official. One could speculate but one has learned not to do so ....

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 1

That's a shame but, as already mentioned a few times, not really surprising. When a dancer is continually not cast in the repertoire, it must be disheartening.

What's the difference between leaving (without somewhere else to go to immediately) and retiring for a dancer already in his/her 30s like Marquez or Rupert Pennefather, who also left the company this year? It seems that dancers who retire from one company still turn up dancing with other companies, so it isn't as though they're necessarily giving up dancing altogether.

I note Ms Marquez deservedly gets a farewell performance, am I right in thinking that accolade was not given to Rupert Pennefather?

Wouldn't a 'farewell performance' be something discussed/agreed between the Director and the dancer concerned as part of their leaving 'arrangements'?

• Like 1

Wouldn't a 'farewell performance' be something discussed/agreed between the Director and the dancer concerned as part of their leaving 'arrangements'?

I'm sure it must be.  I remember when Tamara Rojo returned as a guest for a final run of performances as a Royal Ballet farewell she danced on those occasions with a performer who had himself very rudely abandoned the Company (not that I'm in any way suggesting that is the case with Pennefather - not at all) and yet was still allowed the privilege of a public farewell by the RB's powers that be.  Perhaps Ms. Marquez might dance with Mr. Pennefather during her farewell 'guest' appearances should such happen to be within his current personal sights.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

I'm sure it must be.  I remember when Tamara Rojo returned as a guest for a final run of performances as a Royal Ballet farewell she danced on those occasions with a performer who had himself very rudely abandoned the Company (not that I'm in any way suggesting that is the case with Pennefather - not at all) and yet was still allowed the privilege of a public farewell by the RB's powers that be.  Perhaps Ms. Marquez might dance with Mr. Pennefather during her farewell 'guest' appearances should such happen to be within his current personal sights.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who hopes she will be dancing with Alexander Campbell....

• Like 5

I doubt that a female principal will be appointed for as long as Salenko is a guest principal. It's a question of money. Having said that, the top of the RB is looking pretty thin with Pennefather and Marquez gone, Acosta pretty much gone. Yanowsky dancing a restricted repertoire and Osipova only scheduled to dance in a limited number of performances this season after her unfortunate injury absence. On the female side Lamb, Nunez and Cuthbertson are keeping the show on the road. Let's hope that none of them gets injured.

• Like 2

Does this mean there will be a promotion?  

It would be pretty crass to promote someone to principal simply because there's a "vacancy", wouldn't it?  Dead men's (women's?) shoes, and all that.  I hope that any promotions to such an exalted position would only be made once a dancer has proved him/herself worthy of it.

• Like 2

Was anybody at last night's performance? I do hope Roberta had a good send off - it seems to me that there's something very unpleasantly disrespectful about the way this situation has evolved and the ROH's confirmation of what many of us has suspected late on a Friday afternoon less than a week before her final performance seems only to emphasise that.

• Like 6

I was at that performance. She danced one of the best Juliets I have seen for a long time and at the end received some huge bouquets, applause from her fellow dancers and a flower-throw. So I think it's fair to say that she received a good send-off even though there may be a more formal one later on.

• Like 14

I doubt that a female principal will be appointed for as long as Salenko is a guest principal. It's a question of money. Having said that, the top of the RB is looking pretty thin with Pennefather and Marquez gone, Acosta pretty much gone. Yanowsky dancing a restricted repertoire and Osipova only scheduled to dance in a limited number of performances this season after her unfortunate injury absence. On the female side Lamb, Nunez and Cuthbertson are keeping the show on the road. Let's hope that none of them gets injured.

Don't forget Morera. Apart from R & J she seems to have principal roles in everything, including Giselle and Nutcracker, as well as the new Carnen (admittedly by default) and Frankenstein....

• Like 1