The BBC is publicly funded and so ratings are not the be all and end all. The amount of arts coverage on the BBC (and I don't include Strictly in this) is pathetically small. As for football, there seems to be a match or round-up / review type programme on almost every day, which did not used to be the case.

Think that's because the football now spread over Sat to Mon, rather than just Saturday afternoon, as in the good old days. Not that the BBC shows as much sport as it used to - no horse racing, only 6Nations rugby, only FA cup football (and a highlights program for the league), no cricket and so on

Agree with the rest though - once they hit on a winning formula, they do tend to flog it to death to the detriment of all else (e.g reality TV, 'lifestyle' progs, the phone in vote style prog, etc.) I enjoy science documetaries, so BBC4 is a godsend! As for ratings - they are caught in a trap with that - too popular and they are denying commercial rivals an opportunity to fleece the public (sorry, make a profit), or if too small they are not relevant and so wasting license payers cash. (Neither of which I agree with by the way)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you could knock me down with a feather.

A prime-time slot at 8.50pm on BBC2, sandwiched between The Two Ronnies and QI is Darcey's Ballet Heroes.

On Christmas Day - I wasn't expecting that!

That puts it up against the last-ever "Downton Abbey" on ITV and the traditional "Eastenders" Christmas Day Fight Special on BBC1 (with comedian Alan Carr on Channel 4 and "Chas'n'Dave's Christmas Knees-up" on Channel Five as the "niche" offerings), which I suspect will make it one for recording in most households.

That puts it up against the last-ever "Downton Abbey" on ITV and the traditional "Eastenders" Christmas Day Fight Special on BBC1 (with comedian Alan Carr on Channel 4 and "Chas'n'Dave's Christmas Knees-up" on Channel Five as the "niche" offerings), which I suspect will make it one for recording in most households.

Yes, but crikey, prime time on Christmas Day, that's quite something actually when you think about it, for something usually considered a 'niche' arts subject. 

A prime-time slot at 8.50pm on BBC2, 

To be fair, a lot of the offerings are actually on the main channels this year, rather than ghettoised on BBC4.  What time's the Acosta Carmen on?  I thought that was Christmas Day, but on BBC4?

Two which appear to have escaped our notice, both on BBC4 this Sunday (13th):

8 pm: Ballrooms and Ballerinas: Dance at the BBC  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06sg7zj  Doesn't actually sound hugely exciting, but might have some nice snippets.

9 pm: Dance Rebels: A Story of Modern Dance  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06spm22  I've totally changed my mind on what to record for posterity on reading the "blurb".

Ballrooms and Ballerinas is repeated at 1.30 am on Friday morning, the 18th (so showing in the schedules as Thursday night) - I can't see any signs of a repeat for Dance Rebels as yet.

And ... it's not dance, but since there are a number of opera lovers (and Jonas Kaufmann lovers) on these boards I'll also mention the Royal Opera broadcast of Andrea Chenier on next Friday (18th) from 7.30 - 9.35  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06sg8s6

Edit: I've started a new thread about Andrea Chenier in the Opera forum, so if you want to discuss that in more detail it's here: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/11287-ro-andrea-chenier-on-bbc4/

• Like 1

(Don't know if this has already been flagged somewhere else - apologies if so!)

This morning's Times has a large picture of James Forbat (worth a look if your'e a fan) captioned:

Pop culture: James Forbat, of the English National Ballet, rehearses a routine for the Queen song Bohemian Rhapsody. It will be broadcast on BBC4 tomorrow.

(The Times is having a very balletic week - we've already had 3 RB photos in the main news section.)

Clearly the BBC thinks that the audiences for Strictly and ballet are completely separate... (or it doesn't care/doesn't programme across its channels). Will have to record Nureyev and watch it later.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 3

It probably will be. Beeb 4 often repeats its programmes. Otherwise there is always iPlayer.

It is well worth watching, not least for the fabulous dancing! I thought it was very well done, with just the right balance between the 'docu' and the 'drama'.

• Like 1

It probably will be. Beeb 4 often repeats its programmes. Otherwise there is always iPlayer.

It is well worth watching, not least for the fabulous dancing! I thought it was very well done, with just the right balance between the 'docu' and the 'drama'.

Thank you, Sim. I had completely forgotten i-Player.

• 3 weeks later...

Not the sort of dancing we tend to cover much on this site, but still, this is on tonight, BBC2, 9 pm:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06vkdcj

"Jack Murphy is choreographer to the stars. Now he is swapping movie sets for Bolton, home to the once glorious dance hall, the Palais De Danse. From 1928 to the 1960s, ballroom was a national pastime, but can it be again? Jack tracks down the original Palais patrons, now in their 70s, and his dream to reopen the Bolton Palais for one night only is met with scepticism and lashings of Lancashire wit. His big idea to get a new generation to dance cheek to cheek involves getting his Bolton pensioners to dance in front of 20,000 footie fans... But can a group who haven't danced in half a century impress the Bolton home crowd?"

Part two is on Thursday at the same time.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...