I fear you're probably clutching at straws, Joan :(  I'm not sure I can imagine anyone at the Beeb thinking people might want to watch Viscera, and I'd guess that the Balanchine and Robbins trusts would probably have veto rights on the two short pieces.

Still, there were those documentaries on Nureyev and Pina Bausch that I mentioned earlier.

I agree, I'd expected more on the arts side from Tony Hall.  Perhaps these things take time, but how long has he been in charge now?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the story of men in ballet told first hand by the best male dancers in the world.

The best male dancers in the world?  Now there's a very interesting statement.  Possibly a highly subjective list.  If Vladimir Vasilev doesn't feature strongly, I'll be demanding to know why.

Kaufmann got an award for Andrea Chenier?  Unbelievable, totally mis-cast and everyone I spoke to said the same. you need an Italianate voice for that role, something Kaufmann doesn't have.

Just musing here about the choice of male dancers.  Would you say that Anthony Dowell "transformed male ballet"?  He was a fabulous dancer, for sure, but isn't he mainly known for his wonderful partnership with Sibley?  And the same for Mukhamedov and Ascosta. Fantastic dancers, but did they actually transform anything?  Do we know the full list of names?  Someone mentioned Nureyev, who is an obvious choice, and also Nijinsky.

Or is it is simply a case that Darcey talks to male ballet dancers who are still alive.  :)

Edited by Fonty

Just musing here about the choice of male dancers.  Would you say that Anthony Dowell "transformed male ballet"?  He was a fabulous dancer, for sure, but isn't he mainly known for his wonderful partnership with Sibley?  And the same for Mukhamedov and Ascosta. Fantastic dancers, but did they actually transform anything?  Do we know the full list of names?  Someone mentioned Nureyev, who is an obvious choice, and also Nijinsky.

Or is it is simply a case that Darcey talks to male ballet dancers who are still alive.  :)

I was thinking along these lines. But I suppose you could argue that even where they weren't obviously transformative, these dancers (and others, obviously) meant that ballet could no longer be thought of as only the preserve of ballerinas simply by being so brilliant, by setting the bar for male dancers so high in their various different ways. Anyway I will look forward to seeing the programme.

• Like 2

It would be nice to feature men who are dancing now. Their technique and abilities have progressed at an amazing speed so that now they really do compare with the women. If you speak to the person in the street, I'm sure the only male ballet dancer they can name would be Nureyev. While undoubtably wonderful and transformed male ballet here in the UK, I find it unbelievable that the fabulous male dancers of today should still be overshadowed by him. No wonder so many non ballet fans believe ballet belongs in the dark ages.

• Like 1

Perhaps Baryshnikov? Although no longer dancing classical I believe he still does contemporary pieces? And quite a few non ballet fans I know recognise his name (although not sure it's because of ballet)... But it'll be good to see present day dancers as well. I'm sure I'll watch it either way :D

I enjoyed those ENB documentaries actually. Would love to see something similar done with another company. Mainly because I'm nosy...

Will sky arts be showing anything interesting ballet wise? I have to say though, since sky arts merged into 1 channel I've barely been able to see any ballet on it :/

It's a dis-ahhhs-ter for ballet this christmas then better get my DVDs out.

The programme title says Darcey's Ballet Heroes so they're HER choices not necessarily the best dancers.....and it's her again :-( I've still not quite forgiven her for the ridiculous way she "signed" her book for me (and everyone else) it was so large in thick black pen as to be tantamount to graffiti what was she thinking?

still not quite forgiven her for the ridiculous way she "signed" her book for me (and everyone else) it was so large in thick black pen as to be tantamount to graffiti what was she thinking?

Just to say, I know something about arranging book signings and also a bit about dyslexia, and although no doubt pretty ugly/sloppy this may have been a tactful solution to an awkward situation. I am not this dancer's greatest fan but on this point, maybe we should give her a break?

The ROH website confirms the above programme, also that Carmen will be shown on Christmas Day on BBC4 at 7.30pm.

The accent is on Carmen but I suppose the whole triple bill could be shown, certainly hope so!

If they don't show the other pieces I will know for sure that the BBC hates ballet-lovers.

Linda

BBC One December 8 10:35 - 11.45pm

Imagine: A Profile of Carlos Acosta

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/dv7fc7/imagine--series-28---7-imagine-carlos-acosta---cuba-calls

I have just seen on the BBC News website an announcement that 'Alan Yentob steps down as BBC creative director' (I don't know how to do a link, sorry!) although he will continue to make and present programmes for the BBC including Imagine.

Edited for spelling

Edited by taxi4ballet

Do you not got the Mezzo channel on your cables in the UK?  That offers wonderful ballets and dance programmes all year round. 

Personally I think John Gilpin rather transformed the way audiences in the UK looked at male ballet dancers!  I remember that my sister who was definitely not a ballet fan would come with us if Gilpin was dancing!  He was a "dish" and a beautiful dancer.

I am surprised that so much is pinned on a dancer's looks though.  What I love about British films and TV drama productions is the fact that the actors look like regular people and it's their acting that's important. 

• Like 1

John Gilpin had been a child actor before becoming a professional dancer and shone as much as a dancer-actor as a pure classicist.  In my opinion he was the greatest British male dancer of them all.  Interestingly he was the only ballet prince to actually marry a real live princess.

• Like 1

I fear you're probably clutching at straws, Joan :(  I'm not sure I can imagine anyone at the Beeb thinking people might want to watch Viscera, and I'd guess that the Balanchine and Robbins trusts would probably have veto rights on the two short pieces.

As I suspected: it's Carmen only.

I think that if presented as the cinema live relay was presented, all four would have been fine for a general audience. But I suspect that would just be 'too much ballet'. Unless it's Nutcracker or similar, the focus of TV coverage of ballet seems usually to be one famous/well-known person (e.g. Acosta, or Bussell, or Nureyev) rather than the art itself. There are (very good) exceptions occasionally, but in general they want an obvious peg to hang a programme on, and a triple/quadruple bill is therefore difficult to 'sell'. (Rather as the companies themselves find these bills more difficult to sell.) Which is a big shame. (Presumably 'An Evening with The Royal Ballet' would no longer work - also a big shame.)

Can you imagine the reactions of football aficionados if football on TV was treated like ballet/dance on TV is treated? ;)  :o  :angry:

I agree, on BBC2 yesterday we were treated to no less than nine hours of snooker, with an hour's-worth of Match of the Day sandwiched in the middle (with a note in the Radio Times that subsequent programmes may run late or change). Lovely. 

• Like 2

The BBC is publicly funded and so ratings are not the be all and end all. The amount of arts coverage on the BBC (and I don't include Strictly in this) is pathetically small. As for football, there seems to be a match or round-up / review type programme on almost every day, which did not used to be the case.

• Like 2