Royal Ballet: The Two Pigeons, Monotones I & II, November 2015 & Rhapsody January 2016

Thank you, Anne, for leaving that comment until the run had finished :)

But it hasn't really, has it?  We've still got more to come in the Rhapsody double bill only next month (so cheers for that image which I now doubt I will be able to un-see ;) )

I was there on opening night and had planned to return for closing night of the recent run (as you know, having ended up with my unwanted ticket!) but as much as I did enjoy it, I reviewed my bookings for the after-Christmas run, realised I had exact repeats of the recent opening-night and closing-night cast still to come, remembered I like Rhapsody a lot more than I like Monotones, and decided that Half a Dozen Pigeons would be more than enough in total!  I really am looking forward to seeing the Yuhui/Alex cast when I eventually do so - I enjoyed their World Ballet Day rehearsal footage enormously.

• Like 1

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And on a more serious note - Lindsay I agree with what you say. And if people are starting to think there's a "gay Mafia" take over - please join the conceptual and life-style choice dots between MacGregor, Wheeldon, Corder, Page, Ashton and (please forgive Lady M!) "elements" of the same sensibility chez MacMillan. Then think about what remains of the RB rep...

life-style choice? that all chose dance as a profession in some way?

• Like 1

I'm still in two minds about it myself - think I enjoyed it more with BRB.  It may have something to do with stage size.

I agree that BRB was more enjoyable, and it could be stage size.  In my case, I also preferred watching it from the stalls, rather than up above in the amphi, but that could be simply that I could see the expressions more clearly.

Personally I thought that Salenko and McRae were least successful in getting to its heart their performance was very efficient but general rather than specific. I did not expect Salenko to be miraculously transformed into an Ashton dancer but her  portrayal of the Girl  was a generic balletic young girl and would have served equally well  for Swanhilda.The best balanced and most effective cast was the youngest one of Takada, Hay and Magri.Morera was one of the finest Gypsy Girls that I have seen but Cuthbertson was not right as the Young Girl too sophisticated perhaps?

I think this was really the heart of the problem.  I didn't like Cutherbertson either.  It could have been that she was too sophisticated.  I think my own thought was that she was too balletic, and not enough like the boisterous young girl she was supposed to be.  Consequently, all the bits of choreography that should have been amusing or charming just seemed almost embarrassing

• Like 2

I also think that BRB have a special feeling for the ballet. I have heard David Bintley refer to it as 'our' ballet. He also tells this story about seeing Bejart watching SWRB performing it from the wings with tears in his eyes. Apparently he thought it was a near perfect ballet.

It is interesting that such a simple ballet gives rise to such a wide range of extreme views. People tend to love it or hate it. I love it and have very happy memories of the piece. I have seen some great casts with people who worked with Ashton and /or a real understanding of his style. One cast I remember causing a mega load of tissues was Marion Tait, Roland Price with Karen Donovan as the gypsy. It must have been a couple of decades ago but I still remember it very clearly. My last cast was the great Robert Parker with Nao Sakuma. They also had a real feeling for the work.

To use a cliché, I think BRB have the ballet in their DNA. If you consider that their teaching staff includes Marion Tait and Michael O'Hare, himself a favourite Young Man, you can see why. If the RB haven't quite got the same degree of heritage. However, now they have introduced it to a new generation it may yet happen.

Edited by Two Pigeons
  • Like 5

The ballet was made for the company that eventually became BRB and although it is not performed every year it is performed with sufficient frequency to be in the BRB's DNA and part of the company's identity.

It will be interesting to see how it settles in at Covent Garden this time.I am not sure who started the idea that it was not successful at Covent Garden in the past. Perhaps those who think that ballet should be addressing challenging subject matter and can only be considered serious if it addresses social issues. Of course if you apply those criteria to determine the quality of a ballet then not only do you knock Ashton off his perch but you do the same to Balanchine as well.

I must say that I am looking forward to seeing how the performances of the casts who have just made their debuts develop and mature and to the new cast.I hope that we get to see it in future seasons with dancers like Hayward, Naghdi and O'Sullivan cast as the Young Girl

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 4

As Pigeons or Piegons as it said on a friends ticket still seems to be selling very badly and the ROH marketing department does not seem to have any idea how to sell anything I am sorely tempted to write in and suggest  that they try describing the work as " A narrative ballet by a master storyteller" and "An ideal ballet for those who love classical ballet and don't regard writhing movements as ballet vocabulary or knickers and vests as ballet costume". I think that these words have the virtue of being short sharp and to the point. The material on the web site suggests that the work is being resurrected for no good reason.Comments welcomed..

Edited by FLOSS

It was advertised heavily at the live screening of Nutcracker so perhaps that will help live sales as well.

They stressed that it was ideal for families ( not sure why) and for first-timers ( perhaps that is fair enough.)

I felt it was a real shame that the "trailer" showed the ending as this is meant to be a lovely surprise....otherwise it was a good trailer that certainly made me want  to see it again.

• Like 1

Maybe it will pick up; with Xmas before I must admit 26th January feels like a long way off yet. People have closer priorities.

I haven't booked yet myself, but our cinema looks to be about a third booked so far - all in a big block, so possibly a coach party. So far, the Nutcracker is the only cinema performance I've attended where it has been really busy and almost fully booked.

Well, I imagine there will be various 2-for-1 offers available: I know I've seen them advertised on the front of the Daily Telegraph before now, and there are others ...  Not necessarily useful if you live in the suburbs and don't know anyone sufficiently local who might be interested.

Maybe it will pick up; with Xmas before I must admit 26th January feels like a long way off yet. People have closer priorities.

I haven't booked yet myself, but our cinema looks to be about a third booked so far - all in a big block, so possibly a coach party. So far, the Nutcracker is the only cinema performance I've attended where it has been really busy and almost fully booked.

they may be the VIP seats...

I booked my 2 for 1 with the Telegraph yesterday (2 coupons so 4 of us). That was the last day for the offer but there still weren't many seats taken at the Preston Odeon. However, I think I talked the male receptionist into going with his mother!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry slightly off topic but blubbing in the car is interesting!!

I have a yoga class in Lewes on Friday morning and on the way there Desert Islands Discs is on and every so often some track is played which really sets me off and I have to pull over into a lay by or bus stop!

I'm sure I would still feel emotional at home but somehow being in the car alone seems to heighten emotions for me!!

Sorry will miss you Janet on the 16th as am going to a matinee but on the 30th

Hope you enjoy it ......I don't think somehow you will survive that last pas de deux without a tissue or two at the ready!!

• Like 1

I've modified the title so we can use this thread to record thoughts on the January performances with Rhapsody too.

On 16th matinee I know a few people (lurkers) who are going but if anyone wants to say hello let me know!

I will be there at the matinee on Saturday Janet.

Just one more contribution to the use of the Two Pigeons music:  I went to the Ordination Ceremony for Cormac Rigby (formerly a Radio 3 announcer) many years ago in Westminser Cathedral.  He was a ballet lover, and chose it to be played at one point in his ceremony.  It sounded wonderful in that rather unusual context.

• Like 3

As Pigeons or Piegons as it said on a friends ticket still seems to be selling very badly and the ROH marketing department does not seem to have any idea how to sell anything

I think an ad in Pigeon Fanciers Monthly would reach another overlooked market..

• Like 4