The Bolshoi Ballet School

primrose

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Primrose, your daughter is a couple of years younger than Joy and a huge amount can be achieved in two years. It may not be quite the same thing, but my son changed violin teachers after making very little progress for two years and after less than six months with the new teacher his playing was transformed. Although it is important to clock up enough hours "practising" it is equally important to have excellent teaching. I'm confident that with the demanding training which your DD is receiving in Russia and her strength of character she has as good a chance of succeeding as anyone else.

• Like 2

Good luck to your daughter Primrose and thank you for posting the video link :)

The twinkle in the eye of the young ballerina and wonderful smile, as she came on stage, 3 minutes in, has made my evening - to have that feeling is why we dance!

• Like 1

Very sad when funding is preventing someone from top level training. Just wondering why it is a 4 year course and not 3 like in the UK? Also, if she has been offered a place at the Bolshoi academy, would she not also have received offers from top schools in the UK which usually come with funding?

• Like 1

Just to follow up on Ian's post, here is a radio clip on You Tube where Tala Lee-Turton is interviewed as well as commentary from Luke Jenkins, ex dancer and dance critic with the Observe who shares his perspective of training at the Bolshoi. A good listen. Good luck to Tala.

http://soapweek.co.u...fmhF4/offset/22

typo edited

Edited by Nana Lily
  • Like 1

The reason it is four years is that International students are placed on like a prep course so that they can learn and understand the Russian language and Russian tecnique. The student is then monitored over the year for their suitability to Russian training and obviously the students ability is looked at closley. I think this works really well as it would be a massive shock to a young person to enter into the first year course and try and keep up with those students without understanding a word the teacher is saying. There are some Japanese girls in Heathers class who are simply outstanding. When we went at Easter we were invited to watch a class. There was one young lady who did 32 turns ( Fouettes, cant spell it) her face seemed to disappear as she turned that fast and she did not move off the spot.

• Like 2

Good luck to Tala, and it is not IF she has a place at the Bolshoi, she HAS got a place. Also it is neigh on imposible to secure a 6th form place at the Royal so that could be a reason why Tala is wanting to go to Russia. I know of another child who has an offer of one of our top ballet schools but she is also going to choose the Bolshoi. Why are the choosing to go abroad, I guess that is a very personal decision for them to make, but all the best of luck to them.

Sometimes what we want and what we can afford are two different things and we end up not having the choice we would like. My point was that if she is struggling to secure funds (and I know I would never be able to afford £15,000 a year either), she may have to settle for a school where there is funding on offer even if not her first choice. The other point was that finding funding for 4 years is harder than for the usual 3 it would be here.

Very sad when funding is preventing someone from top level training. Just wondering why it is a 4 year course and not 3 like in the UK? Also, if she has been offered a place at the Bolshoi academy, would she not also have received offers from top schools in the UK which usually come with funding?

Not necessarily , different schools look for different things - although I am sure she would be snapped up here too! Lil
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am hearing that there are five Brits about to go to the Bolshoi school this september. I know that three have given up funded places in this country. I know of another girl giving up her funded place to go to the Joffrey school in the States. It seems that training abroad is indeed becoming more attratctive. So many young students from abroad have been doing this for years and I think us Brits are starting to catch on to what the outside world has to offer. Going abroad is not for everyone. Vocational schools in this country are also fantastic but dont always suit every student, especially for those who like my daughter wanted to be trained in the Russian methods.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to add that Joy Womack has been given a contract with the Bolshoi Ballet Company. This is so amazing as I thought that the company only invited Russian nationals contracts. At only 18 years of age she has done so well.

• Like 5

How exciting to get the opportunity to go to Moscow to train! However I must admit being a bit confused about the course that is being offered by the Bolshoi. From reading bits and pieces online I understand that the foreign girls were doing a special course for foreign students, and that only Joy Womack was doing the same course as the Russian girls.

No, there are plenty of international students mixed in with the Russian classes. Everybody at the school is following the same course including International students however, different classes can reflect different abilities. The Russian students are at an inbelievably high standard which is to be expected given the very long audition process these students have to go through at a young age. These youngsters then face a very structured and precise training programme. International students entering the school at pre 6th form will study alongside the Russian students and will also follow the same academics. Older International students also face the same structured training programme. On the full three year course they also have to study academics. Heather will have to study Russian Language, History, Music Litrature and there is something else that I cant remember. All these classes are examined and must be passed before the student can progress into the next year. Just like the Royal Ballet School, all students are assessed and appraised each year and all must reach the required standards.

I understand a bit better now. Do you think the Russian girls do more (time-wise) at a younger age than girls in vocational school here? At what age do they actually begin full time training?

Sorry I wouldnt know and wouldnt like to compare vocational schools. I think they start full time vocational training at a simular age to the UK students but I could be wrong. What I did notice was that due to the structured training there are very few dance injuries. I am also aware that the audition process is very long indeed for the young Russian students with very few being assesed out. The Russians seem to know what and who they want for the school. They do also expect the International students to look as much like the Russian students physiques as much as possible.

• Like 2

How exciting to get the opportunity to go to Moscow to train! However I must admit being a bit confused about the course that is being offered by the Bolshoi. From reading bits and pieces online I understand that the foreign girls were doing a special course for foreign students, and that only Joy Womack was doing the same course as the Russian girls.

I have also been confused by what I have read. I think that I have concluded that there is what may be called something like a foundation year here, that is open to pretty much anyone that is prepared to pay and then, depending on how well you do in this, you may or may not be invited to do the full three year training course. I think the first year is referred to as the academy and then, if you are lucky, you become part of the actual school for the next three years.

• Like 1

Sorry Jellybeans you are wrong. Not every student who applies to the traineeship (foundation) programme is granted a place. It is rather nieve of you to think so. I do wonder where you got this information from. I personally know of five students who applied this year and was turned down for various reasons. There were very few students from the foundation course this year who were selected to enter the three year full time programme and the year before only three students were selected, so very tough indeed.

I am told tutoo2much that the audition process is up to a year long. I dont know how true that is, but I definately would not be suprised given how thorough the Russians are.

• Like 1

I am afraid that I do not think that I am remotely naive as I know that many, many institutions rely on foreign income to survive. I have read much about the scheme in many places and this is the impression that I have but I am more than happy to be corrected. I did not imply in my post that it was easy to progress into the three year programme, which I know your daughter has done, but I understood that it was different to the first year. I think the fact the the audition for Russian students is "up to a year long" whereas UK students are selected for the foundation course on the basis of a DVD speaks volumes!!

• Like 1