Question re leotard for lower school auditions - belt or no belt?

amos73

Just wanted to canvas opinion from those who have been through audition process, DD wants a special leotard for audition, but I did notice on the audition form for RBS it said to wear leotard with belt - is it important to wear a belt with a cotton leotard like they wear for grade lessons or does it not matter and she can choose something 'special' (her word!)

Thanks

It's important to wear it if the school have specifically asked for it, not necessary for the schools that haven't but make sure the leotard is well fitting on the waist.

There have been a few threads about what leotard to wear for auditions but the general consensus seems to be that a plain, unfussy style is best. No fancy straps or flashy colours.

• Like 1

Thanks, will definitely make sure she wears a belt then, but it doesn't just have to be a 'uniform' leotard with belt.

She is a total 'strap fidgeter' too so I want something that will stay put and not cause her to wriggle and fidget. Any suggestions shape wise?

The advice we had for first auditions was plain and simple. We were also recommended pale. The opinion being that it flatters a classical physique. Also for y7 or similar for them to look their age - ie no exposed backs etc. Your standard syllabus leotard would be fine. I ended up making a belt as the standard ones were too big.....

Having said that I often saw kids in dark leotards. I would say generally people wore non strappy at that age - very plain camisole like capezio princess leotard although I was told by one teacher that panels made them look too old....!!!

Prrsonally I would go with what your dd feels comfortable in and you certainly can spend nothing and wear standard uniform. My gut feeling is that if they want you they want you........

• Like 3

I've taken quite a few students to royal mid associate auditions and it seems most of the existing JAs applying where their royal uniform. Maybe wearing an associate uniform is a good call particularly if you are auditioning for their lower school?

In my opinion DDs should wear a leotard they like as long as it fits them well. If your DD thinks this leotard is "special" she will feel "special" on the day which will make her feel happier and more confident so she will perform as best as she can.

When my DD auditioned her teacher (Ex RBS) advise a tight fit, definitely the belt, colour which suites. My DD never wore her JA uniform leotard, it wasn't the best cut or colour and I thought it would be a bit of "showing off" amongst others auditioning who might not be at any associate programmes. Auditions are stressful enough without thoughts "they will all do better then me because they are JAs or PVPs". My DDs teacher also thought its "bad ballet manners", especially coming to auditions at one school wearing the leotard of the other school associates.

I do apologise in advance - I didn't want to upset anybody who's children auditioned in associate leotards - just sharing opinions/ideas. The main thing is for children to feel comfortable.

• Like 7

I totally agree with you happy mum re associate leotards being worn in auditions for other school, having recently done the elmhurst audition and many children being in there white ja leotard it can make your child feel quite negative and low at the beginning of the audition! Xx

• Like 1

Just warning re low-backed leotards – at Dd's first audition we didn't realise they had to pin numbers on the back and she was embarrassed that hers had to go on her bottom as the cross-straps across her back weren't wide enough. Second time, she wore a plainer cut with more back to it  :D

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for advice - after ordering approximately 15 leotards from various online dance suppliers we have gone with a simple, yet elegant marine blue Degas Leotard which fits her like a glove (she actually said it feels like I'm not wearing anything Mummy)  - so hopefully no strap fidgeting will ensue. Also found a belt from katz online that matches perfectly.

First audition a week on Wednesday. Fingers crossed it will be a lucky leotard for her.

• Like 10

• 2 months later...