RIP Yolanda Sonnabend....

Sim

Oh dear, I owe Yolanda a great deal. A thousand years ago, when I was just starting out in the creative world, she tutored me for a while. I will never forget her generous inspiration and guidance - and the visual overload of her home. RIP

• Like 4

I'm confused - I thought Yolande Sonnabend had died some years ago,  Certainly a very highly-regarded female theatre designer had died, and I think she too had designed some of MacMillan's ballets.  The only thing I can remember from the various obituaries at the time was that she had apparently died 'at a time of great personal happiness in her life', which struck me as very sad.  Can anyone remember who this other designer was, or am  simply going a bit ga-ga ('twouldn't surprise me,,,).?

I'm confused - I thought Yolande Sonnabend had died some years ago,  Certainly a very highly-regarded female theatre designer had died, and I think she too had designed some of MacMillan's ballets.  The only thing I can remember from the various obituaries at the time was that she had apparently died 'at a time of great personal happiness in her life', which struck me as very sad.  Can anyone remember who this other designer was, or am  simply going a bit ga-ga ('twouldn't surprise me,,,).?

Are you perhaps thinking of Maria Bjornson who designed the 'off-kilter' "Sleeping Beauty" for the Royal Ballet and died aged 53 in 2002?

Yes, Irmgard, I think I must be thinking 0f Maria Bjornson - how silly of me.  Did you also privately email me with this clarification?  I received an emai confirming this information late last night with a name I didn't recognise - if that was from you, thank you doubly!

I'd  like to add that Yolanda Sonnabend's death deprives us of an extraordinarily gifted designer - my favourite design in all theatre - drama, opera, musicals and ballet - is Sonnabend's designs for 'Bayadere'.  Once the curtain goes up on her imaginary old India, I'm lost in a  dreamworld of  exotica and almost resent waking up in the here and now.  Perhaps that's  what great design is all about.