Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to discuss this so please feel free to move it if not. I am going to Paris on 21/12, and they are performing La Bayadère that evening. I haven't been able to find much of a clear answer, but it seems that they do offer day tickets for performances. Can anyone provide more specific details about how to obtain them? Is it similar to the ROH day tickets? Any advice would be so much appreciated. Many thanks in advance. 

As there are still tickets available, I suggest you book online now if you are sure to go.

There are only 32 day tickets, they are only standing ones at the back of the stalls for five euros (payment by card only), are sold from 90 minutes before curtain up but anything popular will require you to start queuing much earlier than that (especially since it's possible to buy two per person, or at least it used to).

They don't accept returns but have a ticket exchange website, http://boursechange.operadeparis.fr/ if you go that route you should make sure to set up email alerts to an account that connects directly to your phone as anything that is offered for sale will usually go extremely quickly.

Edited by A frog

Maybe it is not the answer for day tickets but there are always return tickets that could be able to purchase a couple of days before the performance or the day of the performance. They seem to release some category 1 and Optima tickets a few days before the performance.

As A frog suggests, if there are tickets still available it would be better to book online now. 

Thank you both for the info. I have signed up to the ticket exchange and put e-mail alerts on. I haven't been able to book tickets online as all that's available is above 90 euros, which is price is out of my budget for the moment I'm afraid. Thank you both again so much! 

Don Q is right that some tickets are sold outside- but a warning! outside the Garnier black market dealers operate. I've never noticed them at the Bastille (the venue for Bayadere) but they are probably there, too. At the Garnier they charge a lot for poor tickets.

It was very common before the opera house set up their exchange site, I haven't particularly noticed people selling tickets at the doors since, and I would assume that now anyone who does is a tout rather than someone with a spare.

Yes, and obviously it's important to be cautious and take precautions. But please also spare for a thought for the non-touts. Last year, I was trying to sell a ticket to the Ballet School Demonstrations (at face value, of course) for someone who could not make it at the last minute, and a man came up to me and launched into a tirade about how evil I was, ripping people off, I should be ashamed of myself,  blah, blah, blah. He said I should be grateful that he was willing to give me half of what I was 'demanding.' And then someone else came up to me and said almost the same....

At the Vienna State Opera once I was selling off an expensive ticket, and someone tried to persuade me I should sell it for half its value. His argument was that his friend had got a FREE ticket, so he himself didn't want to have to pay full price to go with her. I held my ground and said if one of them had got a free ticket he should be willing to pay full price, because that way they would each be paying half price and it was still a good deal! I had the advantage in that I was quite ready to go and see the performance myself rather than lose a lot of money on the ticket. About 5 mins before curtain someone very wealthy looking swept in and bought my ticket for face value or almost face value.

Last year, I was trying to sell a ticket to the Ballet School Demonstrations (at face value, of course) for someone who could not make it at the last minute, and a man came up to me and launched into a tirade about how evil I was, ripping people off, I should be ashamed of myself,  blah, blah, blah. He said I should be grateful that he was willing to give me half of what I was 'demanding.'

What's the French for "face value", just in case any of us ever need it? :)