Jobs for 15 year olds....

Nutcracker-x

There are restrictions on how many hours your friend can work and where because of her age.  Government website for 'child employment' gives details of hours and her local council should be able to tell her which employers in her area have a licence to employ children.  Without a licence there is no insurance for if she had an accident a work.  Many large and national companies will not employ under 16s for that reason - insurance and limit on how many hours and when.  Work can sometimes be found in independent cafes and shops and the obvious paper rounds. Or market stalls.  I'm not completely sure but I don't think her situation changes much until the end of the school year in which she turns 16.

• 1 month later...

My son and his friend, both nearly 15 are volunteers in a local charity shop. Obviously there's no money in it for him, but the terms and conditions are ones I have read and signed for and I think it's a perfect introduction to the working world for him. I'm sure it's going to be an advantage for him if he wants to look for a saturday job when he's 16...

• Like 2

Restaurants often take on additional staff for kitchen work at this time of year.  Washing up might not be the best job in the world but it pays!  Waitressing in a restaurant that serves alcohol is out until you are 16, but starting in the kitchen might lead to a more glamorous position in the future.  Other than that it's paper rounds or babysitting.  Babysitting might be ideal at this time of year, lots of Xmas parties,  but I wouldn't want my daughter undertaking a paper round in the dark either morning or evening.

I babysat on my 14th birthday... It was only over the road and we did know the neighbours but I know I wouldn't want to leave any of my future children with a 14 year old! I have had people be a bit funny with me even at 19 years old because when I turned up I looked so much younger.

If you have a local pub or cafe/restaurant you could ask in there and see if they need a pot washer, not a glamorous job but it's better than nothing and could lead to an upgrade when she's old enough to waitress (then you get tips too!)

Yes I think it's mostly okay if you know the people and perhaps in the same road as you live etc.....can always get mum over if some unforeseen emergency arises!! I suppose I was 16 when I did my first baby sitting job but it was directly across the road from my parents and I knew most of the other neighbours really well too. The problem is especially babies under 12 months can suddenly develop really high temperatures and scream the place down when they sense mum is not there!! Very unnerving! And unless in unusual circumstances as described above is to much responsibility to put on a 15 year old I think!!

Of course having said that mostly they do stay asleep most of the time. The 7 and 8 year old more likely to give you a problem.

I once took two hours to get an 8 year old and 10 year old to bed to sleep. They insisted on trying to persuade me by playing alternate records which group was the best Abba or The Clash!! Nearly drove me mad especially as mum wanted them definitely in bed by 9pm!

Definitely earned my money that night!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...