Natalia Osipova to return to the Bolshoi as guest artist

Something really going on behind "the doors"

The main Russian news agency today announced the news - Osipova returning to the Bolshoi as a guest artist,

contract has been signed for (enormous) amount of performances, starting with December's Giselles, then - Don Quixote (renewal on the main stage), then La Sylphide, then La Bayadere, then Le Corsaire and Onegin. Impressive?

That is not all, Mr Urin announced that Natalia Osipova will participate in the Bolshoi tour to London in summer 2016

The ROH will remain silent?

Link to the big news, in Russian (translator could be helpful)

http://tass.ru/kultura/2403155

I see no indication of an "enormous" number of performances from the Tass report?

Yes, the choice of the word was mine, sorry about that

May I explain my point?

Even if Osipova will do just one performance of each title, however we know for sure that there are 2 Giselles, for me it looks like too many of the titles (performances) for the dancer who has to go to another stage, hasn’t she?

Let’s skip Giselles and December, what do we see?

5 big and serious roles in a short period of time, isn’t that

Rehearsal time plus travelling, so will be there the time to rest and dance (in London?)? As we know that Osipova has a problem with her feet and after such a quick return to the stage in Milan, Moscow then Novosibirsk allows (me) to think that she did not have any operation, so the workload should be, shall I say, “more safe”?

Shall I mention that Giselles are “back to back” - 1 and 2 December.

Maybe I am wrong but can not get rid of the thought that just after the recovering the workload looks a bit... let’s say - strange

The Bolshoi has a year’s book, according to that

Don Quixote (Premiere, renewal & transfer to the main stage) - February 2016 (7 performances) then April 2016 (4)

La Baydere April 2016 (5)

Le Corsaire April 2016 (4)

Onegin April 2016 (3)

La Sylphide March (3) and June (4) 2016

According to the above - it is why I wrote “enormous”

How many times will people see Osipova on stage in London?

• Like 1

I guess the good news is that we can be sure she will be fulfilling her Giselle obligations here in London as she is obviously completely recovered from her complicated foot operation...being able to dance all these ballets starting with Manon at the end of November means that the recovery is already complete.

Whatever has happened/is happening, I can't wait to see her Giselle again.

I would agree.  I feel that inasmuch as this is big news, there is nothing remotely "strange" about it.  Bolshoi has been long trying to get Natalia to guest there so this is a logical conclusion for both parties.  Good for Natalia to be able to return to the stage that must mean so much to her.  I've missed seeing her on stage.  January couldn't come soon enough.   

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think it has something to do with her boyfriend as well. He seems to only want to dance primarily in Russia. ( although this Sadlers Wells thing is interesting)

How long is she under contract with RB?

Also, does anyone really think they are being kept from dancing with each other?

Hello Daisypop84 and welcome to the Forum.

No-one knows the answer to your questions except for Ms Osipova and her employers with whom she has a permanent or guest contract.

There's already been much speculation and I don't think it has got us any further forward.

• Like 3

See Links, 27 October - Mr Vaziev due to take over from Mr Filin at the Bolshoi next March.  I assume that's the reference.

Thank you Ian. I was aware of Vaziev going to the Bolshoi, but I was asking the effect that MAB thought this has on Osipova or the scheduling. I am surprised if MAB would think that there is a huge connection and/or 'no one had worked it out'. (No offence meant at all MAB)

I thought that maybe there was some second-order of connection to it, so I asked.

Vaziev is going to the Bolshoi, so Osipova is now appearing there as a guest, and in London.

She will also be taking over Zakharova's Don Q in March at La Scala. However Vaziev denied Osipova's wish of dancing with Polunin for Manon, neither is she dancing with him for Don Q, even though it would of course be a delightful event for (Polipova/ Ospinunin) There must be some Brangelina shortening now for this amazinginspirational, notorious partnership.

It seems a bit of give and take, in terms of scheduling rather than special treatment for her, to me at least. Unless I am missing something, which is very much usually the case.

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 1

Thank you Ian. I was aware of Vaziev going to the Bolshoi, but I was asking the effect that MAB thought this has on Osipova or the scheduling. I am surprised if MAB would think that there is a huge connection and/or 'no one had worked it out'. (No offence meant at all MAB)

I thought that maybe there was some second-order of connection to it, so I asked.

Vaziev is going to the Bolshoi, so Osipova is now appearing there as a guest, and in London.

She will also be taking over Zakharova's Don Q in March at La Scala. However Vaziev denied Osipova's wish of dancing with Polunin for Manon, neither is she dancing with him for Don Q, even though it would of course be a delightful event for (Polipova/ Ospinunin) There must be some Brangelina shortening now for this amazinginspirational, notorious partnership.

It seems a bit of give and take, in terms of scheduling rather than special treatment for her, to me at least. Unless I am missing something, which is very much usually the case.

Posipova? 

• Like 1

Vaziev started out with a strong hand. He does not need the Moscow job. He has improved the standing of La Scala's ballet company and his own reputation by his repertory choices and involvement in a number of important reconstructions particularly the Sleeping Beauty and next year's Swan Lake. If the Bolshoi arrangements are not to his liking he will be able to say that he is going back to work in the West.I think that he would not be without employment if he did decide to leave the Bolshoi and the powers that be must know that. He has further strengthened his hand. He has brought Osipova back into the Bolshoi fold as a guest artist and has achieved what many Russian ballet goers wanted. By refusing to agree to Osipova's casting proposals at La Scala he has, no doubt, made that company happy. In demonstrating that he is master at La Scala he has, I think, given notice to the Bolshoi company about how things will be run when he gets to Moscow. His actions in Milan may even have given notice to Grigorovitch's supporters that he is not going to take any nonsense from them either.He has established that he is not the one who will blink first in a confrontation and displayed that he posses the most significant asset that anyone running the Bolshoi can have, an iron fist in a velvet glove. That he appears to have done this without upsetting any of the factions at the Bolshoi is quite masterly.He has played this with the mastery of a great chess player. I am sure that Vaziev is fully aware that everything that he has done and will do at La Scala will be subject to analysis and debate in Moscow. A reputation as a strong manager when it comes to satisfying the wishes of star dancers will, I suspect, come in very useful.

It will be interesting to see whether he faces any trouble when he gets to Moscow or whether those who would otherwise oppose him play the long game and wait for him to make his own mistakes. As far as the Osipova affair at La Scala is concerned the timing is so beneficial for him it could almost be a put up job.

Edited by FLOSS

"Her boyfriend", ie Sergei Polunin, has repeatedly expressed his intention to work as a freelance, because is that what fit better with his artistic needs, so apart from an obvious predilection for Stasik - seen his excellent relationship with Igor Zelensky, its implied his willingness to work anywhere. Also, for the record, he has already worked with Maliphant and in general, in projects of contemporary dance, saying that despite finding it very interesting, he prefers ballet and classical roles; moreover, as he very modestly and generously said during the press conference of Sadler, the pieces that they will dance in June were meant for her and he hopes to be just a "good add-on". All this to say that whatever is happening, it's much more likely depends on Osipova and not Polunin. I cannot express myself about his girlfriends, her past as "Vasipova" and her current intentions, but I know that, chivalry aside, Polunin's statements about dancing together are perfectly in line with what he has always said about the freedom of expression of the dancers and their right to having a say on issues that directly affect their art, as in fact, the choice of partners; so nothing to do with nonsense from tabloid but a topic far more worthy to be considered and discussed, in my humble opinion

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Just to mention that Osipova & Polunin are no longer scheduled to dance Don Q at the Bolshoi this weekend.

That's interesting, good to see that Alexandrova and Lantratov are dancing the premiere tonight, I hope they will dance the first night at the ROH too.