The first two sections of this mixed bill were well worth the price of admission.It is fascinating to see how Scarlett is developing as a choreographer and Lamb and Muntagirov are the best cast the company has mustered for Faun since Sibley and Dowell. As for Acosta's disastrous Carmen well it gave Ball and Heap a chance to show what they could do alongside Muntagirov's Don Jose.o' They made far more of it than it deserved. It just shows what respect and affection the dancers have for the man.

Anyone who thinks that Acosta's Don Q gave fair warning of what was likely to end up on stage when his Carmen was staged is quite right. The great mystery remains why it was allowed to happen, My great fear is that it cost so much that it will be revived to cover the costs.

• Like 1

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I enjoyed most from seeing 3 casts was the different interpretations, in fact the more different the better, I wonder to what degree dancers are encouraged to do what feels right for them.  I have no idea as to how the Tchaikovsky pdd should be danced, but my favourites were Iana Salenko and Steven McRae, for their speed and lightness,with Faun I did think the dancers were supposed to show no real emotion to each other, and of the 3 casts I saw Lauren Cuthbertson and Eric Underwood did that, they were easily my favourite couple anyway, at the cinema Sarah Lamb smiled after the kiss on the cheek and as she left the stage, it changed the ballet, I have no objections at all to that and found it fascinating, Olivia Cowley and Matthew Ball were in the middle in showing a little bit of reaction to each other.

Did Benjamin have any sort of leaving do or public acknowledgement?  I was away when she gave her last performances, and I was so sorry to have missed them, as she was one of my great favourites. 

Her last performance was marked by a stupendous flower throw and all her previous partners lining up to kiss her good-bye and her young son came on stage to present her with flowers.  It was a very memorable farewell.  She was a dancer I adored, although it was her last performance I'm eternally grateful that her career lasted far longer than the norm.

• Like 7

Are ROH cinema relays subsequently shown on TV? I'm assuming that Acosta's Don Q cinema relay was what was shown on TV. I'm hoping that this quad bill may he shown on TV in the future seeing as it's been recorded for the cinema relay.

Some are shown on the BBC, particularly at Christmas, which makes this programme ideal as it has a mixture of laughter and tears and Carlos Acosta is very popular, I'm hoping it will be!

Her last performance was marked by a stupendous flower throw and all her previous partners lining up to kiss her good-bye and her young son came on stage to present her with flowers.  It was a very memorable farewell.  She was a dancer I adored, although it was her last performance I'm eternally grateful that her career lasted far longer than the norm.

And what was so lovely about Leanne Benjamin's farewell performance was that the flower shower was a genuine expression of appreciation from her audience.

• Like 5

Just in from a catch-up showing of Thursday night's performance.  Viscera - OK, but it won't surpass Ken MacMillan's Concerto; Faun - excellent, and a treat to see it again; Tchai PDD - enjoyable.  Acosta's Carmen - I'd certainly see it again.  I had no difficulty whatever with the mix of genres, and what a pleasant surprise to hear so much of Bizet in Spanish.  The tavern group numbers and the fortune-telling scene struck me as particularly effective.  

• Like 2

I saw the cinema relay encore yesterday for me the best piece was Afternoon of a Faun - I thought Lamb and Muntagirov were great together.  I was disappointed with Tchaikovsky pdd as it lacked the spark and wow factor that it had when I saw it danced by McRae and Osipova earlier this year at the gala - and it was originally meant to have been danced with Osipova here...Viscera was OK I agree it had Balanchine similarities and Carmen was OK but I won't rush to see it again if at all.  I did feel it was acase of the Emperor's new clothes in some of the interviews. Now the burning question is this - in the interviews we saw Bonelli in a wonderful red and black beaded toreador's jacket and muc as I waited and waited it never appeared in the show - I can only assume he got too hot to wear the jacket?!!

It was lovely to be able to see Carlos Acosta's farewell.  

I much preferred Fiona Bruce's compering to Darcey Bussell she was so much more competent and able to ad lib without note cards.  I wonder if this was a one off (it being Carlos' farewell) or to be regular?

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 2

We discussed the non-appearance of the toreador outfit earlier in the thread, without coming to any real conclusions, I think.  I don't find the shirt, tie and trousers an improvement.  The first (and only) time I noticed the chance, I wondered if there'd been some last-minute problem with the costume and Matthew Ball had simply been sent on in whatever was to hand!

I saw the cinema relay encore yesterday for me the best piece was Afternoon of a Faun - I thought Lamb and Muntagirov were great together.  

Lucky you DonQFan. At Cinelux in Bristol we lost the feed at the end of Viscera and sat in total blackout of both sound and vision for the interval and the start of Faun. About halfway through Faun (having made several unsuccessful attempts) they managed to give us sound but still no pictures. We were told it was a nationwide problem with the feed from the ROH which is clearly not the case. Our screen finally leapt into life just after the start of the Tchaikovsky pdd. We have all been given a ticket for use another time but that doesn't replace our missing one of the four ballets. As we were only there because our local Vue did not have the encore screening, we would have much preferred  a refund.

The rest of your post echoes my feelings exactly though we possibly enjoyed Viscera a tad more and Carmen a tad less!. 

• Like 1

I much preferred Fiona Bruce's compering to Darcey Bussell she was so much more competent and able to ad lib without note cards.  I wonder if this was a one off (it being Carlos' farewell) or to be regular?

I agree...I like Darcey but I do find her a bit hard work when it comes to the live feeds!

As for the show...I saw it at the cinema- some of the ballets weren't my favourites but I still really enjoyed the show as a whole.  Viscera was danced really well but not really my cup of tea- it was still interesting to watch though.  Afternoon of a Faun is one I really just don't like- of course it was danced very well but it just doesn't do it for me at all.  Tchaikovsky pas de deux is one of my absolute favourites so it's always a pleasure to see it performed!  As for Carmen, I actually thoroughly enjoyed it...I don't think it was anything earth shattering but I thought it was a real treat to watch.  It was really nice to see Carlos' last performance.  All in all, a good ballet night!  :)

• Like 2

What a shame the feed cut out for some people - we had a minute hiccup/pixilation but it soon recovered - touch wood The Light in New Brighton is OK!!

I think with Viscera it really helped me to hear Liam Scarlett explain what he was trying to achieve and that he wanted the dancers to move like a "mumeration of starlings" (my words paraphrasing what he said - Chris Packham has a lot to answer for LOL!)

Overall I enjoyed the screening.

• 3 months later...