You spoke for a exact person that you met in theater. How any article will prove that this person was paid?

(an article on the topic is on the first page of the discussion which SwissBalletFan cited here, you don't need to dig)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, quite right.

It is a shame DQ fan didn't see it, as perhaps an expert eye could tell how much was different about this new production. It is not a ballet I know inside out.

It did seem a bit over -stuffed with set pieces, as if they had thrown in Uncle Tom Cobley and all.. Act 1 told the Kitri/Basilio story and worked really well, I thought, but Act 2 -part from the really beautiful vision scene- seemed to go off on some strange detours -and Act 3 also worked well as the proper traditional wedding procession/grand pas setting.

I did find one or two of the diversions in act 2 went on a bit. Possibly the long dresses didn't help here as one couldn't see all that much of what was going on under all the flounces!

Trying to compare it in my mind with the RB version seen a while back I thought the RB was much more coherent and tightly structured, created more believeable charcters in Kitri and Basilio, and involved the audience in their story more effectively;  also the RB mock suicide routine I thought was much clearer and more entertaining.

But for spectacular jumps and lifts the Bolshoi dancing was on another plane....and DQs vision was ethereal and lovely in sparkling pale blue and white, as against the RB weird garish tropical colours which many people did not enjoy...

• Like 2

If this recording were released on DVD the Bolshoi would make a fortune -  and, a lot of people would be very happy!

If I remember rightly the Osipova / Vasiliev performance was a fairly early live broadcast and there were some quite noticeable breaks in the transmission. Maybe that is why a DVD never appeared. I am sure they wouldn't have missed such a lucrative trick unless there was a very good reason. However, I'm probably not the only one who would buy it even if it wasn't perfect.....

Edited by Mummykool

Oh and I am absolutely sure that the Act 2 pas de quatre that I saw in the cinema yesterday (the one with the man in the bobble hat) was NOT in the previous version. It looked totally out of place and was more in keeping with Bright Stream than Don Q. Act 2 is plenty long enough as it is!

Yep, they are not the most behaved tourists. I know it well, they are quite frequent in Bulgaria. You know who we think equally unsurvivable- british tourists. Coming for cheap alcohol, aggresive when drunk and behaving like the world must bow to them. As a young and let's say exotic for western standarts girl I had many, many very unpleasant moments in clubs with drunken englishmen. But I don't form my opinion about the nation from them- I met a lot of incredible and amazingly clever british people, but in another environment :)

I went to the Don Q at the cinema yesterday. I  haven't seen the ballet before, so it was all new. I loved the trailer but was rather perplexed by the music, although by the time we had seen the trailer a few times, it grew on me. I have tried to follow all the threads but can someone identify the dancers in the trailer and the ballets, which I assume will be forthcoming events at the cinema? And (possibly off topic) does anyone know what the music was ? I did think the huge quantity of dancers on stage did take away from the principals in Act 1, but I loved Act 11, the set, costumes and loved the main gypsy dancer, was that Kristina Karasyova? Spectacular dancing from Kitri and Chudin near the end. The cinema audience loved it and showed their appreciation at the end.

Likewise, I do not form my opinions of a race because of the few bad ones. I have met several Russian dancers & without exception they were utterly charming. Also, not all Brits misbehave on holiday although I know we have a bad reputation!

I'm not really liking the sound of this new version of Don Q from what posters are telling us about the new Bolshoi version!!  I can't understand why they felt they needed to change anything as I thought of the last one as my definitive version! Soooo annoyed I could not get to see it yesterday to form my own opinion.  Thanks to those who replied about encores - I agree they tend to encore as part of the normal season of relays as often they some live and some recorded - this will probably pop up as a "recorded" or "captured" viewing at some point in 2017 or 2018 is my guess.

Rolling my sleeves up already to do e-battle with the online booking tomorrow!  Good luck everyone.

I went to the Don Q at the cinema yesterday. I  haven't seen the ballet before, so it was all new. I loved the trailer but was rather perplexed by the music, although by the time we had seen the trailer a few times, it grew on me. I have tried to follow all the threads but can someone identify the dancers in the trailer and the ballets, which I assume will be forthcoming events at the cinema? And (possibly off topic) does anyone know what the music was ? I did think the huge quantity of dancers on stage did take away from the principals in Act 1, but I loved Act 11, the set, costumes and loved the main gypsy dancer, was that Kristina Karasyova? Spectacular dancing from Kitri and Chudin near the end. The cinema audience loved it and showed their appreciation at the end.

The music to Don Quixote is by Ludwig Minkus (he also composed for La Bayadere) have to say DonQ music is one of my favourites and great for lifting your mood hence I have the CD!!  I can't t help you with dancers as I didn't see the relay.

I've run out of "likes" for posts today - didn't know there was a limit LOL!!

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

Oh and I am absolutely sure that the Act 2 pas de quatre that I saw in the cinema yesterday (the one with the man in the bobble hat) was NOT in the previous version. It looked totally out of place and was more in keeping with Bright Stream than Don Q. Act 2 is plenty long enough as it is!

I agree. Definitely not in the previous Fadeyechev version and more Russian in character than Spanish, I felt.

I'm not really liking the sound of this new version of Don Q from what posters are telling us about the new Bolshoi version!!  I can't understand why they felt they needed to change anything as I thought of the last one as my definitive version!

I think the implication was that they needed a new one for the Old Stage.  My guess was that the other production, which had presumably been designed for the other theatre, may have been too small for the Old Stage.  Or something of that ilk ...

My main problem with the costumes was that Kitri (and Basilio)'s Act I costumes didn't really differentiate them enough from the other dancers - I now understand why traditionally she's had a red-all-over dress, because dressed in "peasant" gear, albeit predominantly red still, she doesn't look that different.  And as someone else has pointed out, Basilio's legs tended to merge into the black parts of the scenery in Act III - something which could easily be changed by making the scenery a different colour, I should think.  Of course, it may look different in the theatre.

• Like 1

Firstly, many thanks to Scheherezade for her very detailed post on clapping and its history/reasons.  However, since we already have a separate thread on clapping, I've moved it to there: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/11397-clapping/?hl=clapping  Other posts may be moved later if any of the Mods have time to spare.

• Like 1

I was unwell so couldn't attend this - very disappointed as I had been looking forward to this for months. It has been interesting reading the views of the performance though. The production may be different but it seems that the true Bolshoi bravura is alive and well, with total commitment from the whole cast.

• Like 1

The dancers in the trailer were Artem Ovcharenko and Olga Smirnova. Not sure on all the ballets, but the 20's style one looks like The Golden Age and the military costume is from A Hero Of Our Time.

I thought I recognised Ovcharenko- he played Nureyev in Dance to Freedom didn't he.

Wonderful face.

I should be very interested to hear what these two ballets are like,  they look very intriguing, ( if not outstandingly jolly).

I agree. Definitely not in the previous Fadeyechev version and more Russian in character than Spanish, I felt.

:D  It's funny, that you think that dance is Russian in character.

This dance is called "Jig", and it is supposed to be the dance of drunken British sailors.

As I have found in the Internet, the dance was made in 1940th by Rostislav Zakharov to music by V. Soloviev-Sedoy (This composer is well-known in Russia for his songs.)

I'm afraid so.  Three others, I think, none of them names with which I'm familiar.  Short insets, I'd say, but in markedly different styles.

The composers and choreographers are mentioned on the Bolshoi's web-site (http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/912/) along with their dances:

Use is made in the production of choreography by Rostislav Zakharov (Dance with Guitars and Jig to music by V. Soloviev-Sedoy); by Kasiyan Goleizovsky (Gipsy Dance to music by V. Zhelobinsky); by Anatoly Simachev (Fandango to music by E. Napravnik).

• Like 3