DD is currently in year 8 but would love to audition for a year 10 place at a vocational schools though my husband and I aren't to sure whether this is a good idea yet. I seem to hear lots about the top vocational ballet schools in UK on this forum and less about others so I was wondering what other vocational schools are there in the UK that take from year 7? (Ballet only please)

Hello Primaballerina1,

There is a wealth of information already on the forum about the various Lower Schools. I would suggest reading through the pinned thread on "Questions about Lower School auditions". Also you will see that I've added the tag "Lower School" to this thread. If you click on the tag, you will find a list of pre-existing threads about Lower Schools that may be useful. Or you can click on the schools' individual tags to just see threads about a particular school.

As a quick comprehensive list, the Lower Schools I know of are:

Royal Ballet School (White Lodge)

Elmhurst

Tring Park

Hammond

Young Dancers Academy (YDA)

Moorland

Legat at Bede's School

Dance School of Scotland

If I have missed any out, hopefully someone will add to the list.

If your dd would need a funded/part funded/scholarship place, then the top four schools on the list all offer some MDS places (each school has a different number of funded places available) as they are all on the Government's Music and Dance Scheme (sometimes referred to as MADE). I think YDA has scholarships available. I am unsure about Moorland and I don't know how funding works at DSS.

It is possible to audition for Year 10 places but bear in mind the number of places available for Year 10 is proportionately much smaller than for Year 7 or 6th form.

• Like 1

One school I have investigated which although isn't strictly a vocational school has what looks like a good vocational ballet/dance programme with highly reccomended teachers is Abbots Bromley School.

If money were no object I'd definatly consider it for dd.

I know DC's who have gone to Abbotts Bromley and have been very successful.  It is a school I would consider for my DD also 

• Like 1

The student I know who went there was offered a scholarship which made the fees less than what her parents were currently paying at her ordinary academic school plus dance lessons. But I know even that level of scholarship makes it inaccessible to many.

As it's about half an hours drive from me (ish) I'd consider it for 6th form.

Just to add in, don't rule out overseas training. My DS went abroad into year 10 and it worked out fantastically well for him. I realise it may feel like a bigger step to send them abroad in terms of distance (and certainly was for us as he went to the States) but plenty of European schools are relatively close in travel terms (e.g. Amsterdam theatre ballet school is only 2.5 hours from our house door to door, and the flight costs are not much different to the cost of getting to London!). As dancers they have to think global, why not start now?! I'm sure it wouldn't suit everyone but worth exploring I would say....

• Like 4

Just to add in, don't rule out overseas training. My DS went abroad into year 10 and it worked out fantastically well for him. I realise it may feel like a bigger step to send them abroad in terms of distance (and certainly was for us as he went to the States) but plenty of European schools are relatively close in travel terms (e.g. Amsterdam theatre ballet school is only 2.5 hours from our house door to door, and the flight costs are not much different to the cost of getting to London!). As dancers they have to think global, why not start now?! I'm sure it wouldn't suit everyone but worth exploring I would say....

Are grants available for these schools, if not I would imagine that would rule 95% of our DC out of the ball game?

• Like 1

Are grants available for these schools, if not I would imagine that would rule 95% of our DC out of the ball game?

Scholarships are available for exceptional candidates but the full fees for most European schools are MUCH less than for British schools and I believe some are even free.