London Children's Ballet

amos73

Thinking of auditioning this year (not me, DD, lol!), but have a few questions for any parents who have done it before.

DD is year 6 at school and just beginning the auditions rounds for vocational school . As the rehearsals are all in the Spring term and it looks to be an intensive schedule would this be too much with audition demands? Also, I noticed that prelims for Royal are on Sundays in Jan when there are rehearsals and the registration form says very clearly that you have to be available for all auditions, so we would definitely have to miss one there.

Does anyone have experience of doing it in this academic year, i.e the year their DC were auditioning for vocational lower schools? If so, was it too much with all the auditions as well?

Are they that strict or would it be ok to miss one rehearsal for audition?

Thanks!

Thanks for your replies, Anna, Taxi and Janet.

I read back through some of the threads and saw that someone in a previous year had said they would let children miss one rehearsal who are auditioning for vocational schools so thought - ah, perhaps this is a 'thing'. 

Emailed the LCB info address and they said in no uncertain terms that they do not expect anyone to miss any auditions, no matter what.

So, guess that's the end of idea of DD auditioning, lol!

• Like 1

That's a shame but their productions are of such a high standard I suppose they have to demand 100% commitment wherever possible.

Personally, I think doing the audition rounds for Lower Schools and doing LCB at the same time would be a huge ask in terms of energy, time and finances, on top of juggling dates. Maybe put all your energy into auditions this year and see where you are next year?

• Like 1

I think you're probably right. We couldn't do it last year because she had Tring CBA on Sundays, but this year she has rehearsals for Nutcracker with YDA most Sundays until Christmas so we didn't stay on at Tring and I thought it would be good to do another performancey type thing on Sundays next term as she does an associates class every Saturday anyway.

But my misgivings were that there was going to be enough on with auditions for four schools etc, so yes, it will be best to focus on auditions and see where we are after all that next year!

Thanks

• Like 2

We have done it a good number of times and children were always allowed to audition for RBS. They told the Ballet mistress in advance so their rehearsal slot could be fitted around it. The audition only lasts 90 mins Max so could go got later rehearsal or do earlier rehearsal then audition. One of last year's company got into WL so clearl allowed to audition.

• Like 2

My DD (9) has applied to audition for LCB this year. I'm really hoping the audition will be in the afternoon as her ballet teacher has now put her forward to take part in the ISTD Junior Ballet Awards on the same day. I now she'll be doing that in the morning, but will have to wait and see if she can now audition. A friend of DD was in Snow White earlier this year and loved it.

Hi Haggis

Thanks for your insight - perhaps the unofficial line is they will make an allowance for RBS auditions, though the official line in the email reply I got was quite clear that if they weren't able to commit 100% to ALL rehearsals there were other children who would be and therefore it was not fair.

I can't imagine that they would deny talented youngsters a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to audition for full-time vocational training at RBS (the auditions for other vocational schools seem to be during the week rather than Sundays so wouldn't be an issue).

It could be that their 100% commitment rule is there so people understand that they can't just miss rehearsals just because they happen to be doing something else that day. DD never did LCB but I've known people miss other rehearsals for all sorts of things like choir practice, weekends away and hockey matches etc so I suppose they do have to be pretty firm about it, otherwise they'd never have a full cast!

My daughter did LCB and was able to have day off when she auditioned for RBS MA as it fell on a Sunday. I just gave them plenty of notice once I had the MA audition time. They were more than happy to let her go and wished her luck the week before x

• Like 3

I was thinking of my DD auditioning this year but she could not attend the casting audition because of a school dance show. I emailed them to ask and they said that you had to be able to do all the auditions and rehearsals so it was a no. I suspect they are more lenient if you get in and can work around you.