Theraband for eight year old

Petalviolet

hello everyone - hopefully a quick question?

DD's associate teacher has asked her to get a Theraband and asked for "full strength" as some of the ones the other children were bringing weren't strong enough (according to my DD only who at best is incredibly unreliable).

DD was talking about using them for arm and shoulder excercises with a partner primarily - does that make sense or sound familiar?

Now this may just be the ramblings of an eight year old so can I ask..

What strength Theraband does or did your DC use when they first started (age 8) "full strength" seems a bit much? Is that maximum resistance?! Surely not.

Does it have to be a "Theraband" is this a brand and are there cheaper alternatives?

A pack of varying resistance is about £15 or more and I don't want to buy two or more bands she doesn't need if they aren't strong enough?

The only help she could give me was that her teacher favoured "pinky ones" (sigh) I'm hoping that colour =resistance? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

The best place to get appropriate strength therabands - in my humble opinion - is from a Physio who will prescribe the strength when prescribing exercises appropriate to the dancer. The pink ones from a physio - cut off a huge roll - are not as strong as the purple ones which I think would be way too strong for an eight year-old.

I'm sure the teacher is perfectly qualified to teach conditioning and strengthening but "the strongest" therabands could well be too much resistance for young children, especially those who are hypermobile. Just something to bear in mind - personally I would think about getting a medium resistance one to start off with. :-)

• Like 3

Different brands have different colours to indicate resistance. As previously suggested, I would recommend a medium resistance. If it's not strong enough then the teacher can recommend you get a stronger one but the maximum resistance bands really are very strong. 

• Like 2

Thank you DrDance - so the purple bun head one would be a good start resistance wise. I shall order. I can't believe she would need anything stronger? She's a puny eight year old whose "maximum resistance" is reached by the often insurmountable task of spearing a drink carton with a straw.

• Like 6