Missed ballet exams

Hairpinseverywhere

It depends what you mean by gap. If you mean that there will be gaps in her knowledge or technique by missing the grade 2 exam, then no you do not need worry. Likewise if you are worried about a missing exam when you fill in application forms etc, then the grade 2 exam is not important. It's only if your DD is upset that I would suggest her take it but there really is no need otherwise

• Like 2

Welcome from me too. Not quite the same but in tap my dd took her Grade 2, had a break for a couple of years to concentrate on ballet, then took her Grade 5. For Graded exams there's no problem in missing an exam.

The only time it would be an issue is later on, if and when a student is takng their Vocational exams (Intermediate Foundation etc.) because a pass at a certain level is a pre-requisite for taking the next exam (for example, you cannot take Advanced 1 without a pass or above at Intermediate). No such rules apply for Graded exams so no need to take the Grade 2 in this instance. :-)

• Like 4

DD also missed out her grade 2 ballet exam, with no ill effects. The dates just didn't work out for her to do the grade 2 exam and the teacher didn't want her becoming bored so she went straight on to grade 3. It didn't make a jot of difference - like your DD, she had done the grade 2 work so there were no gaps in her syllabus knowledge.

I actually took my Primary at 5 and passed with Honours. They then raised the age limits and you had to be 7 to take Grade 1 - which had taken me about two terms to learn! My mother transferred me to a non-RAD school, so as not to hold me back. I did take the vocational grades though, then called Major exams, taking Advanced 2 whilst I was at the Royal Ballet School. I have been a professional ballet dancer and an RAD teacher for more years than I care to think about, so can personally vouch that missing a Children's Grade is not going to have any effect whatsoever!

We often get students joining our school who have never done RAD and we simply slot them in where we think they will cope. As someone said the only exams you have to pass in order to carry on are Intermediate and Advanced 1 (and Adv 2 to take Solo Seal) You can even take Grade 7 before Grade 6 if you wish.

Having said that you could always let her take a Grade 2 class as an extra, just to make sure that there's nothing she's missed, without bothering to take the exam.

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 2