Auditions for contracts

JulieW

Just wanted to wish anyone going to auditions for jobs the best of luck - there may be some of you lurking who don't post ;)

I know there have been a handful of auditions already but the main lot are just really starting - my son's off to his first two tomorrow - I'm a bit hyper and nervous about him even getting on a plane for the first time - he's just excited to be going and seeing some old friends :D

I've had wonderful support from the ballet.co community for the past 10 years since he was asked to audition for JAs - feels like a lifetime ago and lots of ups and downs along the way but this is definitely the worst bit - I'll be a nightmare to live with I'm sure while waiting to hear news of how his auditions go. Could take months.......

• Like 3

Wishing you both all the best, it will be us this time next year. Look forward to hearing how it all goes. Have already heard of 1 Elmhurst girl getting a contract. Thank you also for the support you have given us in some stressful times.

Thinking of you both. I can appreciate how stressfull this time must be. Youngest DD is nowhere near this stage yet, but oldest DD flew out to Texas last week for her first big dance adventure. I have been hovering over the computer for updates ever since........

Best wishes to all parents and DK's auditioning and very well done for getting this far!!!!

Good luck to your son JulieW. Thinking about it I haven't really read that many or even any threads relating to auditioning after 6th form on the old site. Not something I need to know about just yet, but would love to know how it works and how he gets on?

What is the process, do you send in an application form or just turn up on the day? Do companies hold one audition a year or several? Do you get told on the day, do you wait to hear and do you have to assume you weren't successful if you haven't heard.

For European auditions do they organise it so they can do several in each trip? Bit scary from a financial point of view.

How many auditions does he expect to be doing over the next few months?

Good luck to your son JulieW. Thinking about it I haven't really read that many or even any threads relating to auditioning after 6th form on the old site. Not something I need to know about just yet, but would love to know how it works and how he gets on?

What is the process, do you send in an application form or just turn up on the day? Do companies hold one audition a year or several? Do you get told on the day, do you wait to hear and do you have to assume you weren't successful if you haven't heard.

For European auditions do they organise it so they can do several in each trip? Bit scary from a financial point of view.

How many auditions does he expect to be doing over the next few months?

In response to tutoo2much's questions - different companies do different things:

Many hold an audition once a year (but not necessarily every year) - you have to send an application in advance (usually a CV and photos, sometimes a DVD as well) and then if you are lucky you will be invited for the audition. When you graduate you will be up against dancers with years of experience so just getting invited to auditions can be an achievement in itself.

Some are open auditions where you just turn up. These tend to be huge and some companies manage these better than others. My dd went to one where after two exercises at the barre they split the room in half and told everyone on one side of the room to leave because there were too many people there. But she went to another, where they split people into manageable groups and everyone got a full one hour class, so they had the opportunity to show themselves off to their best.

Auditions usually start with a regular ballet class, and they will 'cut' people out at various stages. You may only be in for 10 - 20 minutes before being cut. Gradually they wittle it down to one or two people that they might be interested in. At this point I think it depends on the company whether you are offered something on the spot or whether they will let you know later. Sometimes they will ask people to come back at a later date so that they can see them again, and perhaps work them with dancers from the company.

Just because they are auditioning doesn't mean they have contracts available. I know of one girl who got down to the last stages of an audition and was told, if they had had any contracts available that year she would have been offered one, but they didn't.

Some companies like to audition in company class which gives them the opportunity to compare you against company dancers.

Some companies go to the top schools and spot the students they are interested in.

There is very little coordination when it comes to European auditions and the students have to plan there 'grand tours' around the auditions they are invited to and of course plan this in around school commitments, because the schools don't ease up just because people are out doing auditions.

January/February/March are the busiest times for ballet auditions, although you do get occasional ones coming up during the rest of the year. Most are advertised in Dance Europe magazine. Royal Ballet, BRB and ENB rarely advertise and I don't really know how their recruitment works.

This is how it was a couple of years ago when my dd was auditioning and of course things change, but I hope this helps a bit.

• Like 1

Thanks all - will keep you informed whenever there's any news to pass on - don't hold your breathe, could be months :huh: Happy to say that ds at least got on the plane this morning - no more news since then.

And thanks to Glowlight for such a good explanation - you saved me a lot of typing.

Incidentally, I have heard of a few contracts being offered to Elmhurst and RBS graduate year students - it's in the public domain that a girl from Elmhurst and a girl from RBS have been taken on by BRB this month, and a girl from Elmhurst went to Royal Ballet of Flanders in October. There are others I've heard of, but haven't been publicly announced, so not my place to pass on!

reading this thread has been an eye-opener - I really appreciate it! it's easy when you are at the lower stages to not look beyond simply getting into a vocational school. But of course, that's only the beginning. I've decided a good motto for everyone in all of this is simply Que Sera, Sera!

JulieW - very best wishes to your ds for the best outcome possible - do keep us posted... :)

Good luck to him Julie.

It is hugely stressful and yes expensive.

Sometimes you go have just barre. Others you get through to the end, but no contract.

Definitely some companies take "types", height etc.

Martin's first cotract came through going to "company class" but Munich came through the open audition. As a parent you get to know when a phone call is "too early" so not good news. But boy when that email came from Vienna (ist time) to say he had a contract what joy.

Then 2 years ago when he was in Munich he could not get through to us to tell us the fantastic news!!! When he finally did truely wonderful.

So good luck to everyone. Enjoy the auditions and all the places you visit. Remember places like Norway and Estonia can be very cold.lol And always try, you never know who is watching. Some of the directors are young and you may not think they are directors.

Also expect to be irritated. You have worked so hard to get there yet the auditions can be a shambles, or the director doesn't turn up!!!!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all - will keep you informed whenever there's any news to pass on - don't hold your breathe, could be months :huh: Happy to say that ds at least got on the plane this morning - no more news since then.

And thanks to Glowlight for such a good explanation - you saved me a lot of typing.

Incidentally, I have heard of a few contracts being offered to Elmhurst and RBS graduate year students - it's in the public domain that a girl from Elmhurst and a girl from RBS have been taken on by BRB this month, and a girl from Elmhurst went to Royal Ballet of Flanders in October. There are others I've heard of, but haven't been publicly announced, so not my place to pass on!

Just wondering Julie how your son is doing with his auditions. Hope he has had some good news or is about to have some.
  • Like 1

Thanks for asking Primrose - I was keeping it under my hat until the contract's signed - but I can tell you that he's been offered a contract for a classical company in Europe, but apart from that I'd better keep quiet until it's all sorted. I'll let you know more soon! Suffice to say, he's really happy, and I cried when he rang me to tell me :rolleyes:

Feels a bit surreal at the moment, but he's home next week and we'll go out and celebrate and talk about it properly (he's not good on the phone!)

• Like 10

Thanks for asking Primrose - I was keeping it under my hat until the contract's signed - but I can tell you that he's been offered a contract for a classical company in Europe, but apart from that I'd better keep quiet until it's all sorted. I'll let you know more soon! Suffice to say, he's really happy, and I cried when he rang me to tell me :rolleyes:

Feels a bit surreal at the moment, but he's home next week and we'll go out and celebrate and talk about it properly (he's not good on the phone!)

Sooooo pleased to hear that Julie. Congratulations to him. Have a lovely time celebrating when he's home :)

Is this an excuse for us all to open a bottle of wine then Julie. A massive congratulations to your son and a well deserved one too. A massive pat on the back to his family also as without all your support he could not have done as well as he has.

• Like 1

Thanks all :) and good luck to your daughter Flowerdew - it doesn't seem like they're old enough does it?! It only seems like yesterday (well, maybe a year or two ;) ) when he went off to WL. Homesickness to deal with for the first year, assessed out of year 9 (yuk - horrible time), happily off to Elmhurst, but then auditioning for sixth form places (stressful) - but all been worth it in the end!

And dadadance - yes it is quite a long way from home, and the language will be interesting, but there's several Brits (and ex-Elms) out there already

• Like 1