Gardening News

taxi4ballet

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They traditionally make their nests in hedgerows on the edge of fields and so the progress in technology and farming methods is probably why they are now protected.  Apparently though it is common for partridges to make 2 nests and the female sits on one clutch of eggs and the male on the other - and the eggs are unbelievably small considering the size of the bird.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My ground elder has been similarly lush, despite us trying everything to get rid of the pesky weed for at least 10 years. But... HAHA - success!!!! 

Several weeks ago I finally lost all patience with the darned thing, and plastered it all over every leaf with that new Roundup gel that comes in a push-up stick applicator. I used about ten times as much as the recommended dose, and it has taken a while to have any effect but the elder is now showing distinct signs of kicking the bucket. It's gone all droopy and the leaves are turning black. Good riddance.

Hooray for Roundup Gel. :P

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

And just a couple of weeks ago everyone was wondering where the summer had got to!

We've had temps in the high 80s/low 90s all week, but with high humidity, which has been a real trial. Tomorrow we're expecting 96F with 50% humidity, which will probably take the heat index well over 100 degrees. Not for nothing do they refer to this climate as poisonous. I planted a few bedding plants earlier in the week and have had to pour water on them daily to keep them going.

I see people on Facebook posting pictures of snow scenes, saying "if you don't like this weather, remember what'll happen in 16 weeks' time" and all I can think is "bring it on!" I hate the weather here in summer, it's one of the few things I prefer about the west coast.

Well, they were fairly big ones, not those tiny little six-pack thingies, which would have been a complete waste of time.

And they're apparently unpalatable to deer, so they have a fighting chance in that respect. But we do seem to have to replace plants an awful lot, between the weather and the wildlife.

I wouldn't normally bother folks, but our Magnolia Grandiflora, hanging on in entirely unsuitable soil, has today opened a single flower!  Something of no consequence to those of you with a more acid soil, perhaps, but it's MOST unusual here, I can assure you all.  So, to celebrate, here it is:

file_25.jpg

• Like 5

Lovely.... I have same problem ...chalky soil! We do have an acid bed with some azaleas and pieris in but our magnolia stellata us in a huge pot as growing in garden absolutely no good!!

After reading this post from the beginning it seems that the slugs and snails are a little like the Olympics and follow a 4 year cycle.  My garden has been innundated with slugs and snails this year.  It's only a little garden but I think I have gained the snails and slugs for a stately home size.  Am trying the beer treatment tonight!!

• 1 year later...

I have lots of confused plants this autumn - my roses are still going but they’ve done that for years. However our clematis reflowered as did our cowslips plus I have seen an oilseed rape field in flower and gorse blooming. Global warming, what global warming? :unsure:

• Like 1

I'm a bit worried about my magnolia stellata which is quite big and in a huge pot.

You do usually see the buds developing in winter ready for a march outburst but although they are not out they are very noticeable and bigger than usual for November.

Im just hoping they are not going to burst open around Christmas...lovely as that would be in one way .....and then the really cold weather finally kicks in!!

So it has been extra mild where you are too then Melody!

i do remember a very mild winter here in Uk a few years back where on November 11th it was 60 degrees( about 16 centigrade) 

That year we had the cold weather in February mainly and also early March there was some snow as well.....so don't know whether that's what will happen is year! 

This year has been exceptionally mild here ....it looked like it might turn cold about ten days ago but has gone back to late summer early autumn temperatures again.

Mind you I live in the extreme south of England and on the coast so may be a bit colder in central and eastern/ north eastern bits not sure! 

We only very occasionally get frosts down here so do miss them. It can occasionally get very cold about five years ago it was minus 8 consistently for about four days and we got frozen pipes for the first time!!  All the roads were iced up so couldn't use the car ( it's hilly where we are) But that's fairly rare really. 

My only real gripe with Autumn is the increasing Dark days!! 

Actually there's an amazing six week period coming up soon when you can see the sun rise out of the sea in the south east and set in the sea in the south west. It's when the sunrise is about 7.40-45 so not too unreasonable to walk down to the cliff top or even from the top of the garden would see it.

when I first moved here and was still working so quite used to the early hours I used to make a point of trying to catch the sunrise out of the sea on the good days but am a little lazier now. But does give you a good idea why all those Greek myths arose around the sun.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

The lovely weather has certainly brought out the insects here too. We had a plague of harlequin ladybirds last year that had obviously hibernated and they are out in force so hoping a sudden cold spell might sort them out. The hedgehogs are really busy feeding but I’m hoping not breeding yet as won’t end well.