Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

Ballet Boyz - I would say you and he must be doing the right thing already to get 3 funding recalls! Well done and keep doing the same. No - one can predict what may or may not happen but I wouldn't worry about it now and deal with issues if/when they arrive.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi B4B and well done do your DS - 3 finals is a great achievement! Definitely shorts for RBS audition - generally shorts preferred for all the auditions at all of the schools.

My DS has an elastic belt which he wears with his tights to his normal ballet class.

Hi everyone , Thankyou for all your advice ......... and the link Lottie, I'm taking everything on board as although my DS has danced for a few years now - it has mainly been centred around his own dance school and only really this last year has he taken it more seriously - so there's a lot to learn and consider . We're very lucky as he loves his present dance school and teachers but they are equally supportive of him trying for a place at vocational school - so whatever happens he will be happy dancing wherever that may be - as long as the bullying remains at bay !!!

Good Luck to all the DC who have looming auditions

• Like 2

Hi Twinkletoesmom

Your dd should wear clean,well fitted ballet shoes for the upcoming auditions...a style that she is used to dancing in and feels most comfortable with and a shoe that suits her feet the best! My advice would be to try several types/brands of shoe-like Cinderella-iwell in advance of the auditions until she finds the one that is right for her-maybe ask her ballet teachers opinion as well? Best of luck with her auditions:)

• Like 1

Hi Twinkletoesmum

When we auditioned for Y7/8 entry the opinion seemed to be full sole on the whole. Above that split sole fine. While s/s show the arch better they work the foot less and the panel will know at a glance which are being worn.

Having said that I'm not sure how much these conventions matter if they see a child they want..... I would disc with your dd teacher.

Good luck!

It's a very exciting time..try and treat it as such and put all the nerves to one side! How lovely that your child has auditions at two of the top vocational schools in the UK-you must be so proud:)

Whatever the outcome of these auditions it's very important that your child has a positive experience and feels happy and relaxed about it all and doesn't ever feel they have let themselves or their parent down.

Hope you both have two very happy and memorable days..I am a little envious I must confess and wish I could turn back time!

All the very best:)

• Like 4

Thank you bluebell.

I am so proud of my dd.

I've told her that competition is fierce to get into these schools. So we actively looked at local secondary schools and we've applied to all the ones she has liked.

She says she is happy to go to any of them whether it is a vocational school or local secondary.

She is already in the hammond associates and is in a really good local dance school. She said she'll just try again when she's older for 6th form. She says she would love to get into either vocational school but if she doesn't she can still attend the associate classes and she loves her local dance school which she has many friends at.

I love her level headedness. She is happy with either choice. I fear she will be disappointed. I think that is normal. She is practising so hard. Almost daily. The Hammond audition seems quite full on so we've been preparing for a while now.

Good luck to those children going through Auditions. X

• Like 6

Hi everyone,

I've not been on here for a while, but found this forum so beneficial when my DD was going through Y7 auditions last year.  So nice to read the successes of all the DC so far this year...I can remember the stress, I never realised how hard a process it would be!

A year on and my DD has settled into her RBS MA classes and about to start the Y8 audition process (our first one is Elmhurst next Thursday).  Personally, I'm feeling far more relaxed this year, maybe because I know Y8 places are very few and therefore feel this year is about racking up experience, or maybe because I've been there already and know there is life after the Y7 process!

Good luck to everyone! :)

Edited by Danceintherain
  • Like 7

Dancingintherain I know how you feel, it is much less tense for year 8, I think like you it's the knowing that there are so few (if any!) places available that takes the pressure off. Best of luck to everyone with auditions for year 7 it's a very stressful time with all the anticipation, travel and nerves but try to enjoy the experience!!

• Like 3

Off to Elmhurst tomorrow morning, DD excited, and I am really looking forward to seeing the school and getting a feel for it. I have heard lots of positive things about the school from teachers and parents so very interested to see what it is like.

• Like 1

We got a no from The Hammond. The letter came through this morning so very quick. DD is home is home today as have to leave early for Elmhurst's audition tomorrow. She's taken it surprisingly well. I feel it's a front though.

How do I keep her from giving up after one no when she has another audition tomorrow?

Keep the letter back - pop it on doormat a few days after all auditions....unless of course you are quizzed by DD or they hear others have results....in which case, best not to lie. Buying time by delaying giving a negative result will avoid any feeling of self doubt before other auditions. & remember, a no from one school just means it's not to be that school at this time.....Good Luck!

• Like 2

We got a no from The Hammond. The letter came through this morning so very quick. DD is home is home today as have to leave early for Elmhurst's audition tomorrow. She's taken it surprisingly well. I feel it's a front though.

How do I keep her from giving up after one no when she has another audition tomorrow?

I feel for you, but Peanut is right about a no at one school not necessarily being a no for all of them. I am aware of DC who have had a no from Hammond, but went on to secure funded places elsewhere. Focus on her achievements to date, and tell her how proud you are of her; I don't believe they can ever hear this too much ;)

Best of luck for tomorrow :)

• Like 1

Wow a very unexpected yes for my dd from the Hammond today!! Sorry to hear your bad news mom2dancingkenz, I hope your dd doesn't let it put her off her game and I wish her all the luck in the world for her next audition

• Like 10