Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

Well done to all the "yes" letters.

Lema - I remember how well your DD did last year getting finals at all the schools she tried for even though she started dancing not long ago. Hope this year she'll do even better!

Balletmum20 - 3 finals for your DD - great!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much happymum, I am very proud of her!! I still can't believe how far she has come in such a short space of time!! I really appreciate all the support I've received from the balletco members as I have had a lot to learn and fast lol :D

Erm Elmhurst was about 40, White Lodge around 30 and I'm not sure for Tring as they do a couple of sessions, think about 10 per session but to be honest my momory is terrible lol it differs from year to year as I've read on here somewhere of there being only 20 one year!!

• Like 1

Another question - I've noticed that the Tring funding audition is over a week before any of the other finals. I thought normally WL finals were first, then other schools after, so that any DC lucky enough to have been offered finals at multiple schools know the results of WL before finals at Tring/Elmhurst/Hammond etc.

As the letter from Tring states you would need to accept any offer of a funded place within two weeks, that seems a little tight, as some finals won't have even happened then. Is this usual? 

amos73, I remember this being a problem a couple of years ago with upper school finals. Dada offers from Tring had to be either accepted or declined before some other results/offers were out ... unless of course you paid a £650 deposit to Tring to hold the place! They put a very short acceptance timeline on the upper school offers from memory.

Hi all. Well done to all of your dd and ds's the children have all done so well. My dd has finals for elmhurst yr8 also was offered boarding on the Tring MT course but sadly no funding so had to turn that down, luckily she has also been offered boarding and a funding audition on the dance course for February 24th is anyone else this date? And auditioning for year 8?? We also have dd's Royal audition back 3.15 on January 20th??? Very exciting times for all. Wish everyone the best of luck xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone - "Happy New Year " to you all !!

My DS has been lucky enough to be selected for funding auditions at Elmhurst, Tring & Hammond (yr 7) & he has his first audition for RBS on Jan 27th. I'm looking for some general advice on a few fronts really :

RBS states normal ballet uniform is ok for the audition but they prefer shorts !! My son normally wears tights & leotard & RBS mention wearing a waist belt if wearing tights ?? Can anyone tell me if DS will be at a large disadvantage if he wears tights ? and what waist belt should he wear .....is it in order to keep his tights up properly .....he's never been asked to wear a waist belt before & I'm therefore a little confused !!

A second issue, is that he is so driven and wants to attend a vocational school so badly - I'm not sure how to handle his expectations. He has attended his own dance school for 5 years but hasn't had any experience of associate schemes - so we're really unsure whether he has a serious chance of being offered a funded place as we have no idea re how many boys he's in competition with & their standard. He will be so disappointed if he's unsuccessful as ballet seems to mean such a lot to him. Has anyone any advice as to the best way to prepare him ..... at the moment, we are just playing everything down as we can tell he's starting to become more nervous as the auditions approach.

Many thanks

Thanks Jane & Dancing Pickles ...... He wore tights in his photos but like Jane said - if they prefer shorts I'm sure he'll be happy to wear them - he just prefers tights for some reason. Not sure it's our biggest problem as he's just shown me a cluster of verrucas on the ball of his foot !!! .....typical

• Like 1

Well, (and wow! - amazingly well done so far!) I think you should tell him to use the auditions as opportunities for experience. Also, they'll be fun. They're looking for potential so don't worry about the boys with associate experience. Associates aren't always successful and 'outsiders' sometimes are. Reading between the lines, I get the feeling his drive will take him far, because it will be noticed. I hope I'm right and good luck! :-)

Ps No idea about boys clothing, I have a Dd, going to be giving it whirl for yr 9.

Thanks Piccolo , we've told him he's already achieved a lot, and whatever happens he'll carry on dancing, although going to a non-vocational school can still unfortunately lead to bullying for boys that dance - something which he's already had to deal with & worries him with regard to secondary school !!! What will be, will be - & like you say his drive will hopefully carry him through !!!

Good Luck to your DD

• Like 1

To get 3 funding auditions is a great achievement and looks very promising. Teasing/bullying is unfortunately par for the course for dancing boys - obviously some more so than others - they have to be very resilient. My ds kept his dancing very quiet at senior school and his dancing school was 30 miles away. A very different boy emerged once he went to vocational school at 14. Good luck to your ds, I hope he gets what he wants.

Ballet4Boyz - Well done to your son for his funding auditions.

I have a DS who is now dancing professionally in Europe who went to secondary school and they all knew about him dancing as he was given an award by the school the first month he was there for getting into an associate scheme (LJ&SB) and I thought 'lets confront any bullying from the beginning and not hide the fact that he dances' and the school and the pupils were very supportive.

The waist belt that is mentioned could be a leather belt that is worn so that the elasticated part of the top of the leggings can be rolled over it.  I got DS's from M&S Boys department - http://www.marksandspencer.com/leather-square-buckle-belt-younger-boys-/p/p22377984. We found it best to go into the store to see what fitted as even at age 16 he was only in age 10-12 yr size belt.

The other belt that dancing pickles mentions is what we call a dance belt that gives support that DS wore from about age 12.

Hope that helps.