balletmum20

Lower School Auditions 2016

Yes Anna c... I think the final auditions are spread out a bit I just wondered if anyone knew if you had to pay to secure places if successful in a few? I may be jumping a few months ahead but my husband isn't keen on spending anymore money bit of a Scrooge when it comes to dancing... I also know from a friends daughters past experience she wasn't keen on the Hammond boarding houses but I know everyone is different if that helps anyone... She moved to elmhurst and preferred the in house boarding there much better.

I'm not sure about MDS funded places, but if offered a fee-paying place at Tring there is a registration fee.

There is a deposit and a registration fee at Tring even if you are offered an MDS. The information is on the website with the fees information.

• Like 1

I find it ridiculous that Tring and Hammond ask for such a large registration fee before the funding audition as many who need MDS can't afford to pay the fee, let alone pay the fee to the find out they didn't secure funding, being as the fee is none refundable!! Big risk to those who know they can't afford the fee's if not offered MDS!

• Like 2

So, if you pay the registration fee, are you more likely to secure the funding? Does throwing a bit of cash into the mix make a difference?

My dd was at Hammond yesterday too and had a great day, she doesn't seem bothered about the bus to the school or the condition of the boarding house, as I was thinking "this place needs a lick of paint and is a bit run down" DD was saying "it looks cosy here and I like it!" . I did get a little confused about funding as it was mentioned that only up to 50% funding can be offered? Also when I asked about the number of hours of dance they do and specifically pointe the women told me she didn't know about the timetable? Can anyone give me an idea of hours please and how much of each dance style they do?

For us, there was no requirement to pay the registration fee and deposit until we had been offered the MDS. But agree it is a lot to find, especially if you qualify for the full MDS.

When I received my dd's offer of a place at Tring with the opportunity of a funding audition we could either pay the non returnable deposit to secure our place, by which you were agreeing that you could afford the full fee's if no funding was offered or you could not pay the fee which meant that you would only accept the place if funding was offered.

And Piccolo I have no ide, but I doubt it as by paying the fee you are basically saying you will accept your place with or without funding, so they know that you can afford to go regardless.

My Dd is in yr 10 at The Hammond and I like a number of things that happen there. This includes encouragement to eat and drink in the boarding house in the evening if they are hungry, regular but not inappropriate opportunities to eat noodles/takeaway from town, plenty of opportunity to go into town with friends and a healthy mixing of boys and girls. I agree that the boarding house is not salubrious, but I like it being away from the school site. Head of boarding is excellent, too and a good mix of male and female matrons provides balance. Happy to answer any questions if anyone wants to post or pm me. ????

• Like 4

I think they meant that the school offered bursaries of up to 50% in addition to the MDS they have available which could pay up to 100% depending on income.

I understood that if you get offered a place then you will be required to pay the registration fee regardless of whether you would require MDS to attend. So basically you would then wait til April for recalls (y7/8) or to be considered for funding at the same time. (9/10). Unlike Tring all offered a place are considered for funding.

I struggle to understand the justification for this fee personally.

• Like 1

Boogaloo, they do have MDS awards, as my child has one, which are based on parent income, so up to 100% they do also offer some 50% awards given by the school, nothing to do with MDS. I could get the dance hours for year 7 at some point if that is helpful? as I did a spreadsheet. I think the hours increase as they get older?

• Like 1

Boogalou, my dd is in Y7 at the Hammond - she gets 8 hours of ballet per week, 2 hours of modern, 2 hours of tap and then contemporary/creative dance all morning on Saturdays. They also do vocal training and drama weekly.

Hope that helps but please feel free to PM me if you have any more questions :-)

Edited by Eowyn
  • Like 1

Out of interest are any of the Hammond premises still located on Liverpool Road?

Fond memories of my days there as a Hammond girl! The studios were tiny!

Really? Well then the students today are so lucky. We had classes in studios called "house" which was a front room and "attic"- self explanatory!

There was a converted garage called 12 and a bigger, purpose built studio at 18 which was used for auditions and exams.

In those days there was only one building in the grounds of Hoole Bank housing "proper' studios. We were bussed there at 8am. Woe beside us if we missed it! After morning class we were transported back to do classes in Liverpool Road. In the grounds of the Liverpool Rd venue a tree was planted in memory of one of the drivers who sadly died.

I remember also saving my pennies for a weekly 15p cereal bar from the canteen, because of my family circumstances I had very little money. My feet were incredibly strong as I had to make do with one pair of Pointe shoes per term!

Anyway, re current accommodation. I remember Tring and WL looking shabby 11 years ago too. But its how the students are looked after which is important. Ds was lucky to be cared for by exceptional house staff at WL.

• Like 3

There are two boarding houses Clovelly & Hampton Lodge, I know there is at least one dance studio there which the boarders use for general practice etc, not classes. One is right on Liverpool Road near town & the other is further down the road up a side street.

You ought to visit hfbrew!

• Like 2

Thank you for the replies, it makes more sense now. My dd is applying for year 9 and wanted to know how much pointe they do as she currently has a 45 minute pointe class at her school which she loves doing as she loves classical work over modern/jazz dance.

• Like 1

Well yesterdsy dd (current year 9) did pointe twice

It varies according to the child. Dd was late going on pointe due to hyper mobile feet. Some children who had already passed IF when they entered school in year 7 did some pointe straight away. Most began after Xmas year 7, this year's year 7 had a few dc who are taking IF this week so they would have done a little pointe in rad class this term.

From looking at dds year 9 timetable she has one designated 1 hour pointe class per week but depending in what the teacher wants to work on they may also do pointe as part of daily class & also in the two RAD syllabus classes per week.

By the time they reach year 10 the aim is for the majority of classes to be en pointe.

• Like 1

Hammond results are out, my dd got a yes and funding audition now in April x

Congratulations balletmum20, and good luck for funding auditions :)

• Like 1

My DD got a yes too and as its for year 9 there is no further audition but still have to wait til April to see if we are offered funding. 

• Like 4

My DD got a yes too and as its for year 9 there is no further audition but still have to wait til April to see if we are offered funding. 

Well done to her Boogalou, fingers crossed for funding :)

• Like 1

My DD also got a yes today from The Hammond for Yr 7 ???? we have the funding audition in April too x

• Like 4