Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

Really? Well then the students today are so lucky. We had classes in studios called "house" which was a front room and "attic"- self explanatory!

There was a converted garage called 12 and a bigger, purpose built studio at 18 which was used for auditions and exams.

In those days there was only one building in the grounds of Hoole Bank housing "proper' studios. We were bussed there at 8am. Woe beside us if we missed it! After morning class we were transported back to do classes in Liverpool Road. In the grounds of the Liverpool Rd venue a tree was planted in memory of one of the drivers who sadly died.

I remember also saving my pennies for a weekly 15p cereal bar from the canteen, because of my family circumstances I had very little money. My feet were incredibly strong as I had to make do with one pair of Pointe shoes per term!

Anyway, re current accommodation. I remember Tring and WL looking shabby 11 years ago too. But its how the students are looked after which is important. Ds was lucky to be cared for by exceptional house staff at WL.

• Like 3

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the replies, it makes more sense now. My dd is applying for year 9 and wanted to know how much pointe they do as she currently has a 45 minute pointe class at her school which she loves doing as she loves classical work over modern/jazz dance.

• Like 1

Well yesterdsy dd (current year 9) did pointe twice

It varies according to the child. Dd was late going on pointe due to hyper mobile feet. Some children who had already passed IF when they entered school in year 7 did some pointe straight away. Most began after Xmas year 7, this year's year 7 had a few dc who are taking IF this week so they would have done a little pointe in rad class this term.

From looking at dds year 9 timetable she has one designated 1 hour pointe class per week but depending in what the teacher wants to work on they may also do pointe as part of daily class & also in the two RAD syllabus classes per week.

By the time they reach year 10 the aim is for the majority of classes to be en pointe.

• Like 1

Hope the Elmhurst audition went well for everyone today. Now the wait! What happens next, is the final audition just to decide funding or is it still to decide on places? Can anyone shed any light on what it says in the letter for those that had their auditions earlier this month? ThNks

Hope the Elmhurst audition went well for everyone today. Now the wait! What happens next, is the final audition just to decide funding or is it still to decide on places? Can anyone shed any light on what it says in the letter for those that had their auditions earlier this month? ThNks

Hi balletqueen, my dd auditioned today and had a great time. I asked about funding and was told the finals are to decide who they want to offer places to, but it would be good to hear what's in the letter of those who have received theirs.