Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

Jennyboydance we got a no for Mids too though I never expected anything else , DD was a nervous wreck on audition day to the point she was shaking from head to foot - not a nice experience at all. I think we are in the same boat here as DD got accepted also into everything she went for two years ago and we had to let some things go too , but she too has had non stop disappointments from this process and it's hard . Good luck to your DS for the future xx

• Like 3

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your lovely replies. I didn't mean to derail the thread. It really helped me to write it down, and in a place where I know that people do actually understand.

We have applied last minute for Elmhurst summer school. We have Hammond Associates for next year and I am really hoping he will get a place at MIDAS as I think their philosophy of training would really benefit him. So we will continue with our journey and I will just keep having to remember that he does all this because he loves to dance and not for any other reason.

• Like 8

Yes the CAT scheme looks really good, we are only a couple of miles away, she's never done contemporary, I think she might enjoy it though, thanks so much and I will keep you posted on how we get on xxx

DD hadn't done contemporary before she started on the CAT scheme so don't worry. From what I've seen, companies are looking for strong ballet and contemporary technique now, so a good thing to take on more kill in this tough world. Good luck xx

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Jazzpaws it's nice to get some information on this , DD's dance school doesn't actively promote Northern Ballet I don't think the teacher likes them as says they have funny teaching methods xx

This CAT scheme is excellent - if your DD's dance school has any worries, I am sure they will be more than happy to answer any queries x

DD hadn't done contemporary before she started on the CAT scheme so don't worry. From what I've seen, companies are looking for strong ballet and contemporary technique now, so a good thing to take on more kill in this tough world. Good luck xx

Yes, I think pretty much all of the vocational schools teach contemporary too - necessary in the job market these days as even the traditional 'classical' companies have more contemporary works in their repertoire - versatility is the name of the game.

I wish I had known about the Forum when we started on our journey a few years ago, the level of support is wonderful. the emotional roller coaster is shattering!

Hello Skippysheep and welcome out of the lurking shadows!  Now that you have broken the ice, I do hope you will continue to join in.

• Like 3

Jennyboydance, please read the upper school thread (if you hadn't already) one ds has just got offered Elmhurst for upper school after 4 tries! Perseverance pays off, your son clearly has something special as there is NO way he would have got through to all 4 finals. What you probably don't realise is that probably only a handful (2 handfuls at most) of children in the whole country will have made ALL 4 finals. This is just the first stage of the process, there are many more to get through yet. Potential is only the first step, some won't realise their potential and drop out of the game (many of these will be going off to voccational school in September) others will not show their full potential until their mid teens. Plenty are not rated at an early age but go on to have successful careers. The variations are endless. If your son is happy to dance and you are happy to facilitate then try to go with the flow and enjoy the ride. It sounds like it is very worth while persuing for him, the knock backs will make for a very strong, determined young man who will end up being a success in life, wherever it takes him. The correct path has just not shown itself yet, that's all.

• Like 22

I just can't relax, I'm finding it all really hard today, at least if it was a no, you can just move on, but I'm still waiting which is the worse ever! I just want it all to be over and for my dd just to know if she is going or not!! Having a bad day????????

Edited by balletmum20

A few years back we had 2 students age 11 (m/f) attend different lower schools one came back at October half term the other stuck it out until Easter before returning. Luckily both want to try again at 16 and are happening attending associates, workshops etc, but it could quite easily have put them off further dance training and even dancing.

Sometimes even when it is a yes, the timing is wrong. Every child is different and no one can say with any certainty how they will respond to being away from home, new training systems, new rules etc. Sometimes a No is a blessing in disguise

• Like 5

Harwel - Thankyou for your words of encouragement as my DS managed all 4 finals and has had 3 'no's' so far !! He's feeling a bit brighter after his disappointment from Elmhurst & trying to focus on his last audition at Hammond. I read your words out to him & it made him feel better that he's obviously got some talent to work on - even if it's not quite 'to be' at the moment. He insisted on reading his rejection letter from Elmhurst and his sadness was not only visible but really palpable - and to be honest - quite heart breaking.

It is in a way comforting to know from this forum that the vast majority of parents have been through the 'no's' with their DC and they all seem to bounce back even stronger eventually.

Regarding Hammond - does anyone know how many children are taken through to finals and is it a day of mixed boys and girls together in year groups ?? It's nice to know a little about what to expect ??

Thanks x

• Like 1

Thankyou picturesinthefirelight :) don't suppose you know (or does anyone else ) how many students Hammond accept into each year 7 ? - is it a fixed number of boys and girls for instance ? I think I've read from previous posts that their number of MDS places fluctuates quite a bit from year to year ??

Thanks Straceydor ....... Yes my DS was offered an original place (without funding) at Hammond & Tring but we're not in the position to afford the whole fees without a bursary or MDS place. A situation I know a lot of people seem to find themselves in - which is quite heartbreaking :(

Ballet4boys. The final last year was mixed sex years 7&8 . I think all the year 7&8s that are offered a place get a shot at the funding audition. This year 7 has about 6 boys my DD says. She also said the final was a really nice day.

My Dd is in yr 10 at the Hammond, so it is a few years since audition for yr 7 so things may have changed. I think there were about 40 girls and boys back then and there was a ballet class and dance solos, monologue and singing, including solo if you wanted to do it. My overriding memory is of Dd coming out and saying that one if the panel had set an excercise with pirouettes and told them to do doubles if they could! Dd said, 'Well, I'd never done them before, but I tried and they were OK! ' She was offered a mds place. Good luck!

• Like 2

They do all the solos and singing(if they want) in the first audition. The final last year was a ballet class, followed by a creative movement class then a musical theatre class I think. My child had never done any musical theatre before but she enjoyed it. I don't think she will have been very good at that part but she did get an mds, so I would guess the mds will be based on the ballet class but I think they also have some scholarships which the school fund so I suppose they can award them on whatever they like.

Edited by Snape

DD said last year it was "a bit like jazz/modern" and she thinks they did a dance in it. She enjoyed it and she is very much a ballet girl. So it can't have been too scary! Although it could be something different this year.

• Like 2

How many new pupils were taken in to year 9 for September 2016.  Auditioned in final but have heard of no successes

Welcome to the forum, Balletically. I have moved your post here as this thread is the most appropriate place for it.

• Like 1

Welcome Balletically !

Sorry in don't know the answer to that question .

Thinking back to when I tried to find out who was joining in my DS year , I found that only about 20-30% on the folk who got places were using this forum anyway so I only found 2-3 others who had offers of places out of the 24-25!

The only helpful thing I can contribute is to say that as far as I'm aware the current year 8 is fairly full but a bit short on boys .......

Edited by Billyelliott