Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

Finally been able to tell DD the news as she was away last night, the no letter arrived yesterday. I was upset and worried she would be devastated. When I picked her up from school just now and told her she had a cry, but with a master stroke I had managed to arrange last minute play date with her BFF who threw her arms around her and said yay, that means you get to go to YDA and I can still see you at weekends. 

She is now looking forward to starting YDA in September. I am looking forward to her getting excellent classical training and staying at home (I never wanted her to board!)

Sorry everyone who has had bad news like us, but it is heartening to see that kids can be resilient, (more than us parents perhaps), and pick themselves up and carry on. There are going to be as many rejections and nos along the way as yeses (possibly more). 

P.S. she walked into the house just now and did a double pirouette to 'make herself feel better'.  :)

• Like 10

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the yes's and big hugs for the 'not yets' ... I have said before but I admire your DD/DS's talent's getting this far, huge achievements all round and having the courage to go through this. 

I just wanted to say don't write the CAT's off too quickly due to mid-week travel as I think some of them have satelite branches at other mid week locations or possibly they might support and even pay for ballet with current teachers as part of the scheme. 

Good luck to everyone still waiting for news :)

• Like 1

Snowflake - I don't have any personal experience but a few girls DD knows have attended the Ceccheti (?spelling -sorry) northern associates that I think are held at KS Dance in Warrington. That might be worth a look as it should be a reasonably straightforward journey from Manchester, and they do take students who are studying other ballet syllabi.

• Like 1

Amos73 I have heard excellent things about YDA, even kids getting inti WL after a year there. Plus you will be able to have Yor DD with you for another year, I would say things have worked out well for you and your DD, some things are meant to be and work out for the best even if it doesnt seem like it at the time!

• Like 2

I would love for my DD to go to YDA - it would be a dream come true!

We are a couple of years off all this but thank you to everyone for sharing your journeys - more than anything it is really inspiring to see how amazingly everyone is coping and how supportive you all are! Please keep sharing the ups and downs especially for some of us with little ones who just want to follow in your footsteps!

P.s amos's DD is amazing at pirouettes.

• Like 2

Thank you so much everyone, all these options we had never heard of, I am going to make a list and go through it with dd this weekend, Warrington is close too, she is fine after a little cry, but she's learning how to become a fighter X

• Like 2

Thank you Dramascientist, yes we are very happy she has a place at YDA and can stay at home!

It is a really good school with fantastic classical teaching, and there will be 9 children in year 7 when she starts so lots of personal attention.

They do have children who get into WL, this year a girl from year 7 has got the only year 8 place given at WL I believe.

And the children who stay there for all their lower school years get into great upper schools. One year 11 has secured a place at Royal Upper this year too.

Thanks for the pom pom waving Petalviolet!! 

She is grand battement'ing and pirouetting at the moment ...

• Like 2

I found out one girl who has turned down her year 7 place for elmhurst but she had no mds? Wonder why no mds?? Anyone know

Overseas student? Or income level made it too expensive even with the MDS?

What does this mean for you on the reserve list?

when my dd first heard about Elmhurst she watched the documentary on YouTube and there was a boy who was in year 7 and wasn't offered a MDS and his parents had sold their house to afford his fee's!! I also heard of a girl there who didn't secure funding so it's not unheard of for them to offer unfunded places!! Good luck to those on waiting list!!

Not everyone who gets an offer of a place gets offered funding at Elmhurst, even if eligible. There's a thread on it from a few years ago (2012), where, after some debate (see below), it was reckoned that there were about 20 funded places at that time. Elmhurst were hoping in the future be able to offer 90% funded places in the lower school.

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/1216-mds-dada-and-funding-alternatives/

Elmhurst's website says clearly that awards are for "the most talented children entering Year 7. Under present arrangements, these Aided Places are allocated to the most gifted and eligible children." That does not mean everyone offered a place, I'm afraid!

• Like 1

We got a no for Mids. I haven't told ds and I don't think I will as he has forgotten all about it. He wouldn't have been able to do it anyway but it would have been nice to have something positive to tell him.

I am very disillusioned by this whole process. I had no experience of the dance world before this. My ds only started dancing in Jan last year. His teacher thought he had some potential so encouraged him to go to the Associates auditions. He got accepted onto everything, having to turn some down. Fast forward a year and all that has changed is that he has worked hard, under this expert tuition (Ja and Elmhurst). At no point along the way has anyone said actually he doesn't have what it takes or this is something you really need to work on. We have just blindly invested in it because actually he loves dancing. And now that is all he has. And he really does love it. But we live in a rural area where he has no boys to dance with, no real dance peer group and limited options for participation. We will absolutely support him going forward and if in 12 months he wants to go through this again then we will but at least I can go into it with my eyes wide open. Everyone says the dance world is brutal but I didn't realise quite how brutal until now.

Huge admiration to everyone here. We have all gone through the same journey, some with more positive outcomes than us, but that doesn't take away from the emotional rollercoaster. Massive respect to you all and your talented and resilient DC.

• Like 2

Oh jennyboydance, I actually cried at your news yesterday. I think you need to take a little time to process all you've been through, it's a stressful time. Maybe there's a summer school you could consider or EYB if it comes your way. Don't lose faith. Your ds obviously has something to have been successful so far (and getting to finals is a success) Dance is a tough business and sooner or later there's always a knock back. Passion will out though and your ds will pick himself up, carry on and fingers crossed next time he'll get a yes. As a Mum you'll be there to support him whatever he chooses, it's what we do. It never gets any easier dealing with a rejection of your child though. Big hugs to you. x

• Like 1

Do not give up hope jennyboydance. I have a ds at a vocational school and he is unfunded but we manage (ish) with local bursarys, being broke, a kind godmother and doing without. DS was in a similar situation with no peers and had never danced with other boys until JA's.

He still hasn't got funding due to bodyshape (not going to go into details). He has had to get used to the brutality but they are tough these DC's and are to be admired, as are you with the level of support you have given your DS so far.

Good luck and best wishes to you both and I hope you try again.

• Like 3

Jenny boy dance

Don't give up if your ds wants to carry on! The fact that he is so new to ballet means he has done incredibly well to get this far. He may still be 'catching up' and be ready for vocational training at a later date.

I do understand your concerns about lack of contemporaries and this is more of an issue as they get older.

Ask your teacher for advice (and Ja teacher?)

Take care x

• Like 1

Jennyboydance,I am so sorry to hear you are finding the whole process difficult. I only have one child; a 19 year old son,who sadly never ever wanted to take dancing lessons,even though I would have loved him to. So while it is difficult for me to imagine what being a parent of a dancing child is like [although I remember the stress of my own mum in trying to afford  Northern Ballet School fees for me when I was 12 for 3 years] simply as a parent, my heart goes out to you all the same. Stay strong,and you have us here on this Forum to help you through it all as best we can.x

• Like 1