Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

Ballet4boyz I think it tells you on the letter if you have made reserves. It seems there is a yes no and maybe if someone declines. The no feedback is really tough to deal with, even WL offered feedback which if you then couples it with who did make it you get a good picture of why they didn't make it.

Today feels like a real roller coaster day for those with a Yes it's absolute elation but for the maybes and the nos it's really tough going. Mums/dads I feel your pain today, speak to your dance teachers because just like your DC you need picking up too!

• Like 1

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone, just wanted some honest feedback/opinions really from those of you with a lot more experience. My DS has been dancing since 6yrs, followed all the genres ie, ballet,tap,modern,street, musical theatre classes etc and passing all his grades with distinctions. Our present dance school felt he had a reasonable to good chance at gaining a place in one of the four vocational schools and he has made it to all four finals. He's a slim, athletic build , & very focused during classes, he's never attended any associate schemes but has attended Easter dance courses, EYB & MTB. He's presently had three 'no's' and we are wondering where this leads us. My partner doesn't want to see him go through this all again next year if there is something fundamentally wrong with his technique, turn-out, physicality, musicality etc, etc ....... So my question is ......would it be worth having him assessed independently by someone who could advise us on his weaknesses and whether he stands a reasonable chance in the future - and if so, where could we go to get this advice??

It pains me to say it - but he has also had cancer as a younger child & lost a kidney. I was obviously up front about all this on his applications and I'm left wondering if the schools would see this as a problem. If so, we need to know, so that we can manage his expectations and keep his dancing more recreational - I'd hoped this wouldn't be a deal - breaker as he is now probably fitter than most average children his age, but also understand, it could be viewed with some concern. I would be so grateful for any honest opinions on this. Thankyou xx

We have an envelope waiting to be opened for my DD..about to collect her from school for EYB rehearsals...at least that will pick her up if it's a no. Well done to all those yes's and maybe see the not now's next year at auditions. Dont give up, just make the most of the next 12 months. A lot can change in a year. I believe they do give feedback from finals but it's given to their dance teacher..

Ballet4Boyz I have sent you a PM. Congrats and commiserations to all so far... all the advice on here has been the same as I'd say. Many roads to Rome, No is just Not at the moment, anyone getting finals must have great potential! 

• Like 3

We have an envelope waiting to be opened for my DD..about to collect her from school for EYB rehearsals...at least that will pick her up if it's a no. Well done to all those yes's and maybe see the not now's next year at auditions. Dont give up, just make the most of the next 12 months. A lot can change in a year. I believe they do give feedback from finals but it's given to their dance teacher..

Ballet4boyz I think it tells you on the letter if you have made reserves. It seems there is a yes no and maybe if someone declines. The no feedback is really tough to deal with, even WL offered feedback which if you then couples it with who did make it you get a good picture of why they didn't make it.

Today feels like a real roller coaster day for those with a Yes it's absolute elation but for the maybes and the nos it's really tough going. Mums/dads I feel your pain today, speak to your dance teachers because just like your DC you need picking up too!

• Like 1

Does anyone know how the reserve list works, how many are on it? Is it likely to still get a place ?

I know of two people who got into year 7 at Elmhurst from the reserve pool so no more use of the sad face emoji as you are still very much in the running and stand a fair chance of getting offered a place, and reserve list is an exceptional result x

• Like 1

Our postman has just been and my son is in the reserve pool for Elmhurst.

A big well done to those who have got in, and those that don't just remember it is not the end it is still the beginning of a journey. As others have said there are many ways to take the journey and I believe if it's right it will happen.

I haven't told my son yet (still at school) but whatever happens I'm very proud of his achievements so far.

• Like 4

I've also finally received today's post, alongwith the small envelope.  My DD is still at school and I am not looking forward to telling her the news of a No again this year.  But, as we all know, they've done so well to get to finals and I am going to definitely remind her of all her achievements this year to help her counter-balance the no.  But at least we get to keep her at least a year longer and she can now audition for EYB in July which she wouldn't have been able to do if it had been a yes as the performances aren't until late September.  Also hope she does well at her MA assessment in May so she can at least continue there for another year with a teacher she adores.

Many congrats to all the yes's and reserve pool.  One of my DD's friends got a place last May from reserve so it really isn't over yet.

• Like 2

I noticed there were some who had got places at white lodge so if they take up those places and you're on the waiting list you must stand a good chance of people dropping out. It's the dreaded wait again isn't it! Now that I know dd has a place I feel sick that I'm now not going to have her around very mixed emotions xx good luck all those still waiting, and big hugs to those who didn't get through this time, you did amazingly well to get to finals so don't forget that xxxx

• Like 1

does anyone know if a Year 8 place has been offered?  My DD is naturally very upset and has said she kind of hopes no-one was offered a place as it would make it easier, knowing that the current Year7 is a very full year whereas I hope at least one child has or else it was a wasted effort for all the Year 8 candidates!  Not the best attitude I know but I understand where she's coming from too.  After a quick cry, she's gone upstairs to do some homework!

Holly House 9 my students mum requested feedback but they said they would only discuss with a teacher. I emailed Mark Annear and he called me back. I won't go into details on the feedback, but essentially they were very small details so you really get the feeling that the difference between pupils must be tiny when getting the knee to touch the wall the extra cm away is the difference between being accepted and not.

• Like 1

does anyone know if a Year 8 place has been offered? My DD is naturally very upset and has said she kind of hopes no-one was offered a place as it would make it easier, knowing that the current Year7 is a very full year whereas I hope at least one child has or else it was a wasted effort for all the Year 8 candidates! Not the best attitude I know but I understand where she's coming from too. After a quick cry, she's gone upstairs to do some homework!