Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

Ooh that's exciting Waitingmum . Are they from your local dance school .?

Huge congratulations anyway . A real achievement at year 8 .

Hope your daughter is not too upset pointyourtoes .who knows what is around the corner X

My dd is in year 7! She said that 1 girl has been invited to attend a dance class with them on Thursday so see how she fits in.

• Like 4

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a No for my DD too (yr8) but as she expected and told me on the day.  She really struggled to believe she was good enough to be invited to finals, especially as she didn't make it last year, so her head really got in her way.  Trying hard to build her up now so she doesn't do the same thing to herself at Elmhurst next week.  Have to say I thought it was a nicely worded letter. 

I have been following this link and I can only say please don't give up.

My daughter auditioned in Year 7 and was told no, then she auditioned and got year 9, but then got assessed out and is a lot happier in another school.

She has just had her letter from Tring for upper school and got a YES for a funded place in September !!!

So please remember that sometimes life has a way of sorting itself out... The ballet world is a funny business...

Stay strong and don't think its the end. xx

• Like 16

Thank you Krishell and hugh congrats to your DD, just brilliant! 

Onwards and upwards for us here.  I've reminded my DD about a bad dress rehearsal (WL) can mean a successful first night (Elmhurst)!  Hope the analogy works for her.  But I know she's not ready to give up so she will put us through it all again next year if necessary and it's not as if she isn't doing well with her training locally at the moment.

Edited by dancefanatic
  • Like 5

A huge well done to all DC with a yes and an equally well done to all DC who have made it to the various finals. A DS from my DDs school has been offered a WL place for Y7 as has his friend from JAs so it's been really exciting at dance class this evening. Good luck to everyone for Elmhurst finals. :-)

• Like 1

Hi Holly House ......... Yes he's still got finals at Elmhurst and Hammond ......so something to still aim for if we can pick him off the floor in time. He's got no's from Tring & now WL and he's only just stopped sobbing at the news this evening. What hurts is that he's been offered places at both Tring & Hammond if we could pay the full amount - but we can't afford that and so are relying on funded places. Very upsetting to see him so down - he really wants a place (anywhere to be honest) where he can move forward with his dancing & not have to keep it quiet for fear of bullying. I agree, looking round the schools make my DS want it even more, especially as he already knows some boys who are in yr8 at all of the schools & love it. Good Luck to your DS - hope he's not too upset - has he anymore finals ?? x

Hi Ballet4Boyz,

I am so sorry and I feel for you so much. Can I ask if you have tried YDA?  They are a loving school and is a full time vocational school that cares....

They also look at potential and do some funding.  Please stay strong and be positive for your Ds...

Good luck with the rest of the auditions. x

• Like 1

Hi Krishell ......thankyou ,will look into YDA as don't know that much about it - quite new to all this !!

Taxi4Ballet & Lema ....yes can't help feeling the whole process is a little cruel. My DS has been lucky enough to have 4 finals which you would have some hope of an offer somewhere, but I'm not so sure now !! For him to get so close and come away with nothing knowing that if we had the money he could have gone to Tring or Hammond will be really hard on him and us as parents. Nevermind, have always taught him to "keep on trying" ......and he's gone to bed a bit more cheerful bless him.

Congratulations to everyone with a yes to WL - amazing achievement !!! For all those with a no - we are feeling the same disappointment - but good luck to those DC still with finals to come xx

• Like 1

Well done to all the "yeses" and well done to all "nos" for getting finals.

Ballet4boyz- hope you and your DS stay strong - you went just through 2 finals - so still a very big chance of a funded place. It was a no from WL but that's just one school. At Tring they always say that if they had more funding like WL or Elmhurst all the children invited to finals would receive it, it's just a shame they had just 6 or so funded places available this year. Elmhurst takes up to 12 boys I think, majority with funding, so just tell your DS to enjoy the finals and to do his best, to show how much he loves dancing. Will keep my fingers crossed for you and all the other DCs with finals at Elmhurst and Hammond.

• Like 1

Taxi4Ballet & Lema ....yes can't help feeling the whole process is a little cruel. My DS has been lucky enough to have 4 finals which you would have some hope of an offer somewhere, but I'm not so sure now !! For him to get so close and come away with nothing knowing that if we had the money he could have gone to Tring or Hammond will be really hard on him and us as parents. Nevermind, have always taught him to "keep on trying" ......and he's gone to bed a bit more cheerful bless him xx

Ballet4boyz it is a heartbreaking situation to be in, last year dd auditioned for Tring, Elmhurst and WL, she was offered a place at Tring with funding audition and made it to finals for WL and Elmhurst, and in the end she never secured funding and got no's from WL and Elmhurst, we went from being on a real high, getting our hopes up (just a little as we knew that finals didn't secure a place and the odds were still against us) to being on a real low and not really understanding what to make of the situation. But my dd has knuckled down and kept on going and now this year (year 8) we have found ourselfs in a similar situation she had a yes from Hammond and Tring with funding auditions, didn't secure the funding at Tring so all hopes are on Hammond now!! But if that's a no too then at least we are secure in the knowledge that she kept on trying and she is good enough to go, it's just unfortunately we are not wealthy enough to afford the fee's.....but that has nothing to do with their ability, and that's something to make sure they understand, especially when facing other auditions, the no isn't a "your not good enough" it's a "mommy and daddy aren't rich enough" lol, their ability secured them a place, end off, and they really really need to understand that to help keep their confidence up for other auditions.

Glad you ds has cheered up a little, they do get over it and it's good to allow them that time to be sad and then we can say right onward and upward now!! Best of luck for Elmhurst and Hammond ????

• Like 1

Just to say to those of you awaiting Hammond funding finals.

I'm not sure how many MDS places they have this year - in the past it has been more than Tring possibly due to the fact that Tring's MDS are spread though both lower school & 6th firm whereas Hammond's are only spread through lower school.

But the school wish they had more awards as everyone they take to finals is worthy of a place & so are trying to fundraise to increase their bursary scheme which can be very generous so that may be a possibility.

• Like 2

And don't forget that many students end up going later on (eg16) instead having still maintained their standard. I had one student who was being invited to funding finals at Tring for years 7-10. She never did get funding but it was her way of checking that she was still good enough. ( She is doing something else now!)

Another student was lucky enough to have her parents pay for the first few years and then secure funding. She is also doing something different now.

Congratulations to the yes folks, exciting times ahead. To you who are currently nos then rejoice in the fact that you have your children at home for longer and you can save for the future!

• Like 3

Looks like the boys' and the older years' results were out yesterday then, so hopefully the year 7 girls' results today.  Good luck everyone.  (And congratulations and commiserations to those of you from yesterday).  

Pointeyourtoes - try not to think about "why" she didn't get a place - particularly with the older years, it's just a case of there being that (maybe) one person who was that little bit more suitable - could be one or many reasons, or no reason at all - just a case of having to pick one and that one had that indefinable "something".  It's horribly disappointing initially but they usually pick themselves up pretty quickly.

I can really sympathise with the position you are in if you just can't afford that place. I have 2 sons. One is a ds at Tring the other, younger and a singer/actor. They both auditioned for Tring the same year, one for year 10 dancers course the other for year 7 theatre arts course. Both got through to funding finals. One got and MDS the other didn't get offered a bursary. That was really quite difficult to manage! However, my youngest is a resilient sort and has just been accepted for the cast of National Youth Music Theatre. He loves his drama/singing and would dearly love to be where his brother goes, and says so every time we pick ds up from school. Time will tell how it plays out.

• Like 2

Personally I think anyone who has the courage to share a "no" deserves a huge pat on the back - it is so easy to get a skewed view of how well "everyone else" is doing.

Our children were always aware that they would not be going anywhere without funding.  Even so, it horrifies me how little money they have compared with others they were/are at school with, but as my daughter pragmatically put it, "well, you wouldn't have afforded the skiing trip if I had been at my old school" (true: and  that was France not Canada!) 

If you are straight and upfront about whether a place will be taken if funding is not forthcoming, in a very short time children bounce back.  It is us parents who feel the guilt for years to come ..

• Like 9

It seems there were an awful lot of DC that were offered a boarding place at Tring without funding. What would have happened if by some ridiculously high odds, all their parents could have afforded to pay the fees? Would they have had the room to accommodate them, or do they know most won't be able to afford it?

• Like 1

It seems there were an awful lot of DC that were offered a boarding place at Tring without funding. What would have happened if by some ridiculously high odds, all their parents could have afforded to pay the fees? Would they have had the room to accommodate them, or do they know most won't be able to afford it?

As far as I understand it they only would have offered as many boarding places as they had, I think the issue is more that they can end up filling most/all of the beds with paying students before the funding auditions have happened.

Just to say to those of you awaiting Hammond funding finals.

I'm not sure how many MDS places they have this year - in the past it has been more than Tring possibly due to the fact that Tring's MDS are spread though both lower school & 6th firm whereas Hammond's are only spread through lower school.

But the school wish they had more awards as everyone they take to finals is worthy of a place & so are trying to fundraise to increase their bursary scheme which can be very generous so that may be a possibility.

It should be quite a good year for MDS this year at Hammond as nearly all the boarders in yr11 have one ,so they will go back into the "pot" . When my elder dd was in yr11 only about 3 girls were in receipt of one.

Ballet4boyz try not too upset , easier said than done , lots of us on here have similar stories to tell and our DCs are still going strong .

My younger dd nearly missed out altogether at yr7 , it is your sons first final and he has done amazingly well to get to that stage at Royal .

Good luck to all for the rest of the finals .