Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondered if girls at white lodge final tend to wear JA leotard if they are JAs or do they usually wear another plain colored one?

We were advised last year to wear bright leotard - helps to get noticed!! They know whether you are a JA or not. Main thing is just for your DD to be comfortable in whatever she wears - she doesn't want to be thinking about her clothes in the audition. Good luck

WL auditions this week, Is it year 7s on one day, and the older grades on the other? Hope you all have a good experience and fingers crossed for some positive results!

We're getting all set for tomorrow - boys plus Yrs8, 9 & 10 from the info sheets sent recently.  My DD is getting increasingly nervous and short tempered with her little sister, just hope she does as well as she can and enjoys the day!  I have to say the last month has been harder than I expected, particularly when we went through this last year with Elmhurst.  See you all on the other side and good luck to all going up to WL tomorrow and Friday.

• Like 3

Yep good luck tomorrow Dancefantic, Poor DD no wonder she is short tempered at the mo. It is a stressful time!

Lema, glad you finally got your letter from Tring. Who knows there may be movement on the reserve list soon as they have to say yes or no by Friday and those who are going for Royal may well say no!

• Like 2

Yep good luck tomorrow Dancefantic, Poor DD no wonder she is short tempered at the mo. It is a stressful time!

Lema, glad you finally got your letter from Tring. Who knows there may be movement on the reserve list soon as they have to say yes or no by Friday and those who are going for Royal may well say no!

And me Amos, was starting to think it had gone missing!! Fingers crossed there is some movement and some of our lovely balletco dc get a late offer.

• Like 1

It was a lovely sunny but cold day up there yesterday but unfortunately my DD started to psych herself out from the moment we arrived, even more so when she saw the other DC arrive.  She says she messed up a couple of exercises in the class so she spent the rest of the day trying not to cry which meant she didn't really speak to the other girls, even hiding from a couple of her old JA friends who are currently at the school as she felt embarressed.  She's also convinced she's not good enough to go to WL and seems to struggle with the idea that to get the invitation means she has really improved and is showing a lot more potential.  So not expecting a Yes when we get the results (not sure when that will be either).  Trying to build her back up again ready for Elmhurst on the 15th.  Must admit that, although WL is a lovely school, I'm not really sure it's the school for my DD and I can't really see there, she says she feels the same way.  She absolutely loves Elmhurst so fingers crossed I can change her thinking a little bit and build her confidence up in the next week! 

Do hope everyone else enjoyed it.  It really was lovely to be up there, although it is a long day for all with lots of hanging around.

• Like 5

Dancefanatic, it is an amazing achievement to be invited to wl, I think even more so for the higher years. Your dd should and must realise how well she has done to get this far! You never know what they are looking for - perhaps if you feel its not the right school she will feel much more confident at Elmhurst from the beginning. Will keep my fingers crossed for you and may even see you on 15th. It's been a real nail biting time! Not sure I can do it all again next year. I hope your dd enjoyed the day anyway, well done to her and the results came out very quick last year! We auditioned Friday last year for y8,9,10 and results were out Monday by 4:30!

Edited by balletqueen
  • Like 1

Oh Dancefanatic so sorry to hear she felt that way. It must be very nerve wracking and I can only imagine how hard it must be to keep one's mind in check in that situation.

The fact she did get asked to finals is a massive achievement and she mustn't forget that. But if she feels it is not the school for her and you too then that is perfectly valid. Not all schools are right for everyone, even WL!

Fingers crossed for Elmhurst. My DD loved it there too and is looking forward to the 15th too!

• Like 1

dancefanatic,I wish your DD the very best of luck with her auditions. I must say I like the sound of both you and your daughter`s attitude. I can well imagine there are parents and children out there who are focused on White Loge at all costs simply because it is the Royal Ballet School , and even if it doesn`t feel quite right they ignore those feelings somewhat . 

• Like 3

Sorry DanceFanatic meant to ask how many girls were auditioning for year 8 yesterday? And did they audition with the older ones or in separate groups? My DD knows 2 girls who were auditioning for year 9 there yesterday. 

It was a lovely sunny but cold day up there yesterday but unfortunately my DD started to psych herself out from the moment we arrived, even more so when she saw the other DC arrive. She says she messed up a couple of exercises in the class so she spent the rest of the day trying not to cry which meant she didn't really speak to the other girls, even hiding from a couple of her old JA friends who are currently at the school as she felt embarressed. She's also convinced she's not good enough to go to WL and seems to struggle with the idea that to get the invitation means she has really improved and is showing a lot more potential. So not expecting a Yes when we get the results (not sure when that will be either). Trying to build her back up again ready for Elmhurst on the 15th. Must admit that, although WL is a lovely school, I'm not really sure it's the school for my DD and I can't really see there, she says she feels the same way. She absolutely loves Elmhurst so fingers crossed I can change her thinking a little bit and build her confidence up in the next week!

Do hope everyone else enjoyed it. It really was lovely to be up there, although it is a long day for all with lots of hanging around.

Just remember they are looking for potential not perfection, they do know that DCs are nervous. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for her - my dd was looking out for her yesterday but said she couldn't see her. Although they did take the year 7s out on a long walk in the park to keep them out of the way!!

At least you won't have long to wait - last year the results were all out by Monday afternoon.

It is a massive achievement to get to finals but that is hard for them to understand that if the result is not what they are dreaming off.

Good luck for Elmhurst x

Also meant to say that I was worried about WL last year as Elmhurst seemed much more friendly but couldn't have been more wrong, once you are lucky enough to get in then they change completely!! It was never a contest in my DDs head - WL all the way but know others who felt exactly the same about Elmhurst - different schools suit different people and if she is more keen on Elmhurst I'm sure that will Come across in the audition.

Edited by Waitingmum
  • Like 3

Sorry DanceFanatic meant to ask how many girls were auditioning for year 8 yesterday? And did they audition with the older ones or in separate groups? My DD knows 2 girls who were auditioning for year 9 there yesterday. 

They had 6 girls there yesterday.  They split my DC's group into two so that the Yr8 girls went with some of the Yr7 boys, keeping the Yrs9&10 entrants together.  The class was only an hour and no pointe work required which she was happy about.

WaitingMum - I know she'd be ecstatic with a WL offer as she's dreamed of being there for so long!  Everyone she met yesterday, when she actually spoke to them(!), she said were really friendly and nice, as they were to me and the other parents.  Beautiful school too.  Well, we'll see!  She now needs to concentrate on her tap exam next weekend which I think is a good thing, might keep her mind off Elmhurst for a little bit!

Balletqueen & Amos73 - I look forward to trying to spot you on the 15th!  And all the best for your DCs too, they all have done so well.

Everyone else, thank you so much for your lovely comments, some of which I will share with my DD this evening.

• Like 4

I wish your dd all the luck in the world, dancefanatic. I felt exactly the same when the headmistress gave us a talk when I had been chosen to go to grammar school. I was sure they had made a terrible mistake. Hugs to you both.

• Like 2