Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

We really like it there too Piccolo, dd always feels really comfortable there which I think is very important! And I hope and pray you are right although I fear the odds are against us, as with everyone else, and we will probably be one of the 54 no's, but fingers crossed as you never know, but not getting our hopes up!

• Like 1

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The odds will probably be slightly better if those with multiple offers chose other schools. I'm sure it's going to be very interesting to see, especially since the other finals haven't even taken place yet! Fingers crossed for a bit of movement on the reserve list!

• Like 1

Lema, it seems a happy place that has a personality. Not just a persona. I get the impression it allows individuals to flourish and not just conform. )

As in all areas of life, there are ups and downs and one school won't suit everyone, but I would completely agree with this assessment.

• Like 3

The odds will probably be slightly better if those with multiple offers chose other schools. I'm sure it's going to be very interesting to see, especially since the other finals haven't even taken place yet! Fingers crossed for a bit of movement on the reserve list!

Yes, I wonder how those who are successful at Tring and are yet to do finals for WL/Elmhurst will negotiate the situation. From what I have read on here they have to say yes and pay deposit by fri 4th next week, and if they are also going to WL they won't have results yet. 

I don't quite understand why they have to pay a deposit (is that correct, do they?) if they are being offered a funded place! Is the deposit non refundable if they don't take the place in the end?

I can imagine some talented children are going to have a difficult decision, do they say yes without having done their other auditions, and pay the deposit, then have to lose the deposit if they get offered a place at one of the other schools and would prefer to go there, or do they turn it down hoping to get a place at one of the other schools?

Seems really tricky situation for these children and their parents!

If offered an MDS you would secure your place with £900. £250 of this is non refundable. You would need to ask if you get the £650 back if you end up accepting another offer - I presume so. The other rather large deposit is if you can pay full fees anyway, and I believe £1,000 of that is towards the first terms fees.

• Like 2

Ah okay thanks Harwel that makes sense as when you accept your invitation to finals if you want to accept the place outright the fee is £2450, I just wasn't sure reading the last few posts if that fee was carried forward if a place was offered after funding audition. £900 seems a much more feasible amount for someone who needs the help of a mds in the first place!!

• Like 1

Congratulations to the two yeses so far!!

And to those one the reserve list, just think your wonderful dc are such talented dancers that they secured a place at one of the top vocational schools in the uk, not only that but they were that good that they were even considered for government funding and right now, this very instance their name is sat on a waiting list in the office of this amazing school just waiting for a place to hopefully open up....and their name is there ready and waiting!! Amazing achievement!! Well done all x

• Like 11

Lovely post pointe-less and we should all be very proud of our dc, what they have done and gone through is amazing and something I certainly couldn't do!! I think it's easy to just see it as a "they got a no" and you forget that actually it's a yes, they were offered a place and they are good enough to attend that school, there just wasn't enough funding to go round that's all, huge massive Well done everyone X

• Like 5

Hi everyone , just changing the subject away from Tring for the moment ....... my DS is lucky enough to have a final audition with RBS this Thursday. On the schedule for the day it gives the candidates a short time to get changed into their dance wear - wearing a track suit etc over the top. I'd planned to send my son already underchanged & wearing a nice tracksuit to begin with .......figuring if he attends like this - it's less for him to think of later in the morning but also a bit more of a casual regime he's used to with other auditions. I've since wondered if most of the other children will arrive very smartly dressed in more formal clothes & don't wish my son to feel a little too casual ......... I must admit, the more suited & booted he is - it tends to add to his nerves !!! Can anyone 'in the know' advise me on the dress code for arrival or is it not really important as long as his tracksuit is acceptable . Thanks v much x

• Like 1

I have no experience of lower school auditions but DD was a RBS SA (we didn't even think about dress code)

I would think that it is all about the dancing, they are not seen by the panel until they go into the audition, so it's not assessed on the best dressed. If I were you, I would stuck with the tracksuit and keep him relaxed

Good luck x

Thanks jazzpaws - nice to hear another view point. He already feels a tiny bit deflated when he sees other boys with their associate tracksuits on as he hasn't had any experience of being an associate anywhere. He's also feeling a bit disappointed with his recent Tring result being on the reserve list. So I'm trying to rebuild his confidence before Thursday & don't want to let him down on dress codes etc. I agree with you that it's important to feel relaxed - so unless I get a torrent of messages advising me otherwise - will stick with plan A.

Thanks for your advice x

• Like 1

Have I understood this correctly - Tring have moved their funding finals earlier this year so that children offered an MDS place there but who have finals auditions coming up at other schools which they may prefer to attend will have to hope that their parents can and will pay a partly non-refundable deposit to secure the Tring place in case they aren't successful elsewhere?

If I have understood that correctly then I am appalled. How can this be allowed? It won't determine that Tring is filled with children whose first choice would be to attend there. It will simply determine that Tring is assured of some income from the non-refundable part of the deposits which will be paid by at least some families to ensure that the place there is secured in case it is the only place offered.

I can't see why the 4 vocational schools offering MDS funding from age 11 don't agree to offer places on the same day and give those fortunate children the same date by which they must accept or decline their places, as most if not all of the non-vocational independent schools have to do. This ensures that no one school is able to put pressure on families in this way, that children lucky enough to be offered more than one place can truly choose which school they prefer and felt right for them and that children on the reserve lists would know much sooner than July, as has been mentioned, whether a place had become available.

• Like 4

Hi everyone , just changing the subject away from Tring for the moment ....... my DS is lucky enough to have a final audition with RBS this Thursday. On the schedule for the day it gives the candidates a short time to get changed into their dance wear - wearing a track suit etc over the top. I'd planned to send my son already underchanged & wearing a nice tracksuit to begin with .......figuring if he attends like this - it's less for him to think of later in the morning but also a bit more of a casual regime he's used to with other auditions. I've since wondered if most of the other children will arrive very smartly dressed in more formal clothes & don't wish my son to feel a little too casual ......... I must admit, the more suited & booted he is - it tends to add to his nerves !!! Can anyone 'in the know' advise me on the dress code for arrival or is it not really important as long as his tracksuit is acceptable . Thanks v much x

They are not being assessed on clothes! Nice tracksuit sounds fine to me. Don't you dare send the lad in more formal wear!! And good luck.

• Like 1

Last year my DD went underchanged with a tracksuit on - as you say one less thing to think about. Just look tidy. They are only being judged on dancing and not their clothes. My DD got a place so it didn't affect her options!

Good luck.

• Like 1

My dd auditioned last year and went under changed with a tracksuit on as did most other children, I think I saw one or two in leggings/jeans but the vast majority were in a tracksuit. Best of luck to your son, he will have a lovely day at White lodge :)

• Like 1

Just wondered if girls at white lodge final tend to wear JA leotard if they are JAs or do they usually wear another plain colored one?

Last year my dd wore her JA leotard and tracksuit as did all the other JA's from her class, and I noticed quite a few others wore theirs who must have been from the other centres too.

Ballet4BOYZ, remind your son just how talented he is by being offered a final audition at WL especially if he isnt already a JA. Tell him to not think about Tring as there were so few funded places available. Onwards and upwards the cherry pie is still in the running.

• Like 5