Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading this post with interest, am I wrong in thinking that some of these schools don't always get the most talented dancers? I mean those that can afford to pay the fees for their DC without having to attend funding auditions seem to have an advantage, I know it's a cruel world but there could be some future Darcys etc missing out.

• Like 2

I would imagine any future Darcy's would be a priority, no matter their personal situation! I'm sure a funded place would be earmarked for them from the moment they were spotted!! Just my opinion and no idea if this is how it works but I would imagine this would be the case anyhow.

if they are numbering the children from 1-60 how does that work though for example there may be no spaces in y8 if no one is leaving so surely the funded places will go to the year groups where there is actually a bed, so if dd no 7 on the reserve list is next in line for funding but there are no beds in the yr group they are going for then surely they will move down the list? if that makes sense?

Well forget about a future Darcy then, how can someone be offered a place, and then not make the funding final? That's the bit that baffles me, I apologise if I am missing something.

Only the very best are offered funding, so if you are good and they like you then they can offer you an unfunded place, but if you are really good and they really like you then they will offer you a place and invite you to audition for funing....or this is at least how it was explained to me.

• Like 1

if they are numbering the children from 1-60 how does that work though for example there may be no spaces in y8 if no one is leaving so surely the funded places will go to the year groups where there is actually a bed, so if dd no 7 on the reserve list is next in line for funding but there are no beds in the yr group they are going for then surely they will move down the list? if that makes sense?

Huh, that's a great question balletqueen and I have no idea?? They never mentioned that, or whether they had spaces in years other than year 7 so I don't know how that would work?? So many questions that I guess we will never known the answer to!!

Well forget about a future Darcy then, how can someone be offered a place, and then not make the funding final? That's the bit that baffles me, I apologise if I am missing something.

There are only so many funded places in some schools - in Tring's case this year, that appears to be 6.  But just their year 7 intake is much higher than this (without even considering adding older year group children to the mix), so, there are a number of first audition outcomes:  1)  a sorry no place, 2) a place but no funding audition, 3) a place and an invite to funding.  All the children who are invited to funding are talented enough to be awarded funding if there were enough awards, but there are only so many MDS places on offer.  

In Tring's situation, the school couldn't operate on only 6 child intake so they have to have paying children to make the school viable.  I know that the Director of Dance would take all of the funding recall children if (a) the school had the government funded places for all and ( B) if the school had beds for them all.....but alas, they don't....

I also know that numbers vary from year to year and isn't as prescriptive....if they spot a talented child and they can accommodate them, they will.  The dorms will sometimes have mixed year groups at Tring when necessary to accommodate the fluctuating numbers (i.e 1st and 2nd form, or 2nd and 3rd form).

There are also those fortunate families who don't require funding, either because of high family income or because they are not eligible under UK residency rules, etc.

Edited by DancingDays
  • Like 2

Hi Ballettwoshoes, firstly I myself am very new to the world of vocational schools and the audition process - so can only speak from my own limited experience so far. My DS has always loved to dance and in the last few years has taken it much more seriously, his dream would be to attend ANY of the vocational schools as he feels he would 'fit in' much more than in one of our local schools. Sadly it is still the case that boys that dance can sometimes have to deal with taunts & bullying which can make the prospect of secondary schools seem quite daunting.

After the first audition at Tring - he was offered a place on the dance course but without funding. This meant we could have secured him at the school if we were able to meet the full costs. Sadly he has been unsuccessful in gaining an MDS place at the funding audition, so we can't help feeling so sad that he could have accepted a place if we earned more. We know he would have loved it at Tring as he has attended several Easter courses there and thought it was amazing & he learnt so much. Fortunately he's very lucky to have other final auditions to concentrate on now & although a bit down, will hopefully feel positive again soon. He's always understood our situation and that we can't afford the full fees. I'm sure therefore it must be the case that many children who are talented enough to attend these schools will miss out if the parents can't afford the full fees. It's perhaps the way of the world ...... Tough at times, but I guess the dancing world is no different.

• Like 3

Good luck for the other auditions Ballet4Boyz!  Tell your son to keep the faith and fingers crossed gets a place!

And to everyone else hoping for a place this year...it is tough, but to get any finals is proof of your DCs' talent and ability and that's to be celebrated whatever the outcome!  Best of luck to you all xx

• Like 3

Sorry to hear this Amos and I hope dd took the news okay!! And best of luck to her going forward with her other finals!!

And remember everyone our dc have done amazing, they secured a place at a much converted school and it's only the funding they haven't secured, but with odds of 1 in 10 there was always going to be a lot more no letters going out!! They have all done exceptionally well and I wish everyone with finals still to come the very best of luck! ????

• Like 1

Thanks Lema, she's absolutely fine. My DD doesn't have a perfect ballet body so I think the fact she has got reserve there and finals at two more schools to come is a testament to her hard work and dedication. She has always had Elmhurst and YDA as her preferred choices so we have still got all to play for!

Have you still not heard?

• Like 1

Equally, at the other schools like Elmhurst and Royal who have MDS places both have more MDS to give out than Tring, so in a way I don't feel bad about her getting reserve. A lot of the girls in her group had finals for WL, not all of them will have been offered funding at Tring, yet I would guess some of them will get WL places. And the 6 places were spread out over all years and boys and girls. Maybe only a few of the girls in that yr 7 final have been offered funding. At WL or elmhurst finals 12-15 of the girls will get funding - which rather puts things in perspective!

• Like 1

Aww glad she's took it well and she must be a fabulous little dancer :) and i will keep my fingers crossed for Elmhurst for her!! And no we still haven't heard!! Don't know what's going on this year I seem to always be the last to know!!

• Like 1

I was just about to say that the odds are surely better at Elmhurst or Royal but I suppose we can't really tell as we don't know exactly how many of the 60 at Tring were for year 7 and how many year 7 places were actually available, whereas at White Lodge we know that they usually take roughly 30-40 year 7's with around 12/13 places being available. But still the odds aren't too bad so best of luck to her ????

• Like 1

I think there were 18 girls for year 7 at Tring, most of them also had WL and or Elmhurst finals from DD's canvassing in the changing room!

They don't have any hard and fast rule about how many they give to year 7s at Tring I think, it is purely up to their choice of who they want to give to across all the candidates there.

So, I reckon maybe 2, 3 maximum, for  year 7 girls. Out of 18 that is one in six. Elmhurst and Whitelodge it's more like 1 in 2 or 3 - I'm not a gambler but surely they are better odds!!

Oh no, why are you always waiting longer! Not fair!

Hope you hear on Monday, Lema. X

Edited by amos73
  • Like 1

Thank you Amos and When we were waiting for Elmhurst results they had done a typo and sent it to the wrong address!! So hopefully it's nothing like that and it's just our post is a little slower and will arrive Monday.....I hope!! :D

And yes those odds do seem better!! Just think in a few weeks it will all be over and we will know our dd's fates (for this year at least)

Have any girls had a yes for Tring mds on here? Have I missed a post?! Searching for good news stories. Huge well done to all dc with a yes!

The only yes so far is tutugirls male student I think Aklf, I think all the others have been waiting list!!

Well, I only saw the reserve list letter tonight after work and it's so nicely worded. DD appears to have 'taken it with a pinch of salt', saying its a standard letter sent to all. But it's such a nice standard letter. Can't help liking this school...

• Like 2

I've been reading this post with interest, am I wrong in thinking that some of these schools don't always get the most talented dancers? I mean those that can afford to pay the fees for their DC without having to attend funding auditions seem to have an advantage, I know it's a cruel world but there could be some future Darcys etc missing out.

I believe there is a box on the application form that asks if the fees will/can be met by parents or other means, so some applicants who know they don't qualify for funding will tick that box and then subsequently receive the 'place without funding letter'. This doesn't necessarily mean they aren't one of the most talented. They could be just that, and lucky enough to be able to afford the fees.

There are children at RBS and Elmhurst that pay full fees too.

• Like 1

Lema, it seems a happy place that has a personality. Not just a persona. I get the impression it allows individuals to flourish and not just conform. Who knows. Maybe I've got my rose tinted glasses on again...

Fingers crossed for your DD. Maybe no news is good news this time :-)

• Like 1