Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

Hi all. New to this, thank you for the add. My dd had her elmhurst audition on the 3rd November she too thought it went terrible but has been offered a final audition in march. She has her first Tring audition today and is back there again two weeks. We have also paid for the WL and mids audition but haven't had a date through as yet. I'm just unsure when all the finals are and if they are lucky enough to have a choice do you have to pay to secure places this whole audition process is getting expensive. Well done to those others who have been successful and again the no's are a not yet and they should always keep trying if it's truly what they want to do. My dd is auditioning for yr8 as she had no intention of applying for yr7 a whole year can change their minds so much. Good luck to all those still waiting for auditions.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We were there too yesterday, I thought the staff seemed a bit under it ? They did mention they were short staffed as they had RAD exams going on but my DD had a really lovely day and enjoyed meeting everyone . I know what you mean re the boarding houses though.

Hi all. New to this, thank you for the add. My dd had her elmhurst audition on the 3rd November she too thought it went terrible but has been offered a final audition in march. She has her first Tring audition today and is back there again two weeks. We have also paid for the WL and mids audition but haven't had a date through as yet. I'm just unsure when all the finals are and if they are lucky enough to have a choice do you have to pay to secure places this whole audition process is getting expensive. Well done to those others who have been successful and again the no's are a not yet and they should always keep trying if it's truly what they want to do. My dd is auditioning for yr8 as she had no intention of applying for yr7 a whole year can change their minds so much. Good luck to all those still waiting for auditions.

Hi, if you are offered finals for WL there is only one date (should be on the website?) You don't pay again.

Best of luck :) xx

Balletmum20

I agree the boarding houses are in need of updating and it is a disadvantage not being on site. Having said this- I have discussed these specific issues with parents of pupils and it doesn't seem to affect their happiness. .. My personal feeling is that if dd was lucky enough to have more than one offer I would take it into the decision making. If it was her only offer if she was happy with it so would I be.

Yes I think cause it's not on site, and you have to get the bus everyday x

Yes, there is a bus which picks them up every morning, and brings them back every day. I had similar feelings this time last year, so I can understand where you're coming from :)

My dd is very happy there and it has been said that leaving the school site to go back to the boarding houses feels more like they are coming home :)

If anyone has any questions, feel free to pm me :) xx

• Like 3

It's not exactly a public service bus though. It's a school coach that picks the children up each morning & takes them home each evening. It takes less than 10 mins each way ish.

The boarding houses are close enough to town that the children are allowed (supervised in year 7, then in small groups) to go shopping in Chester on Saturday afternoons just like a normal secondary aged child would do.

• Like 6

Welcome to the forum and congratulations to your daughter on getting Elmhurst finals. :-)

When you ask about paying to secure places, do you mean paying a registration fee when you accept your place?

Yes Anna c... I think the final auditions are spread out a bit I just wondered if anyone knew if you had to pay to secure places if successful in a few? I may be jumping a few months ahead but my husband isn't keen on spending anymore money bit of a Scrooge when it comes to dancing... I also know from a friends daughters past experience she wasn't keen on the Hammond boarding houses but I know everyone is different if that helps anyone... She moved to elmhurst and preferred the in house boarding there much better.

Yes Anna c... I think the final auditions are spread out a bit I just wondered if anyone knew if you had to pay to secure places if successful in a few? I may be jumping a few months ahead but my husband isn't keen on spending anymore money bit of a Scrooge when it comes to dancing... I also know from a friends daughters past experience she wasn't keen on the Hammond boarding houses but I know everyone is different if that helps anyone... She moved to elmhurst and preferred the in house boarding there much better.

From personal experience yes you do have to pay deposits to secure places. Last year my dd was offered Tring very early on and we were asked to pay the deposit to hold her place. We didn't want to do this as I didn't know if she would get offers in other schools at that stage, so subsequently the offer was withdrawn.

With regards Hammond my dd is there now and she is very happy. The boarding houses do not look great I agree, however appearance isn't everything and the children soon make it homely and cosy. To be honest I am just grateful she was offered a funded place somewhere and if she has to live off-site and get a bus to/from school then so be it.

• Like 4

I'm not sure about MDS funded places, but if offered a fee-paying place at Tring there is a registration fee.

I find it ridiculous that Tring and Hammond ask for such a large registration fee before the funding audition as many who need MDS can't afford to pay the fee, let alone pay the fee to the find out they didn't secure funding, being as the fee is none refundable!! Big risk to those who know they can't afford the fee's if not offered MDS!

• Like 2

My dd was at Hammond yesterday too and had a great day, she doesn't seem bothered about the bus to the school or the condition of the boarding house, as I was thinking "this place needs a lick of paint and is a bit run down" DD was saying "it looks cosy here and I like it!" . I did get a little confused about funding as it was mentioned that only up to 50% funding can be offered? Also when I asked about the number of hours of dance they do and specifically pointe the women told me she didn't know about the timetable? Can anyone give me an idea of hours please and how much of each dance style they do?

When I received my dd's offer of a place at Tring with the opportunity of a funding audition we could either pay the non returnable deposit to secure our place, by which you were agreeing that you could afford the full fee's if no funding was offered or you could not pay the fee which meant that you would only accept the place if funding was offered.

And Piccolo I have no ide, but I doubt it as by paying the fee you are basically saying you will accept your place with or without funding, so they know that you can afford to go regardless.

My Dd is in yr 10 at The Hammond and I like a number of things that happen there. This includes encouragement to eat and drink in the boarding house in the evening if they are hungry, regular but not inappropriate opportunities to eat noodles/takeaway from town, plenty of opportunity to go into town with friends and a healthy mixing of boys and girls. I agree that the boarding house is not salubrious, but I like it being away from the school site. Head of boarding is excellent, too and a good mix of male and female matrons provides balance. Happy to answer any questions if anyone wants to post or pm me. ????

• Like 4

I think they meant that the school offered bursaries of up to 50% in addition to the MDS they have available which could pay up to 100% depending on income.

I understood that if you get offered a place then you will be required to pay the registration fee regardless of whether you would require MDS to attend. So basically you would then wait til April for recalls (y7/8) or to be considered for funding at the same time. (9/10). Unlike Tring all offered a place are considered for funding.

I struggle to understand the justification for this fee personally.

• Like 1

Boogaloo, they do have MDS awards, as my child has one, which are based on parent income, so up to 100% they do also offer some 50% awards given by the school, nothing to do with MDS. I could get the dance hours for year 7 at some point if that is helpful? as I did a spreadsheet. I think the hours increase as they get older?

• Like 1

Boogalou, my dd is in Y7 at the Hammond - she gets 8 hours of ballet per week, 2 hours of modern, 2 hours of tap and then contemporary/creative dance all morning on Saturdays. They also do vocal training and drama weekly.

Hope that helps but please feel free to PM me if you have any more questions :-)

Edited by Eowyn
  • Like 1