Northern ballet school

balletpassion1

Welcome to the forum, balletpassion1. I can't help with your query except to say that I *think* Northern's year groups are reasonably large?

Edited to add: You could have a read through this thread and/or search within it for "Northern" - http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/5000-questions-about-upper-school-auditions/

As well as the audition class, you get a talk from the principal and a tour of the school, you watch a display by current students, and each candidate has a physio and a short interview at the end. It usually takes either a whole morning or afternoon. They don't do finals so you find out quite quickly whether it is a yes/no/waiting list.

Hope this helps :)

• Like 1

The standard part of your question is difficult to answer. I would say the auditionees will be of a level that their current teacher thinks that with further three years worth of intense training they will be ready for jobs within the industry.

Some places have pre audition workshops and it might be worth attending some so firstly you know what to expect at an audition and also to see how comfortable you feel with the other potential auditionees.

Are you of an age that you are looking for sixth form next year?

• Like 2

You will probably find a lot of answers in the "Questions about Upper School" thread pinned at the top of the board; but when it comes to the level of the audition classes dd said that they varied, but generally were a very strong Inter with a bit of Adv 1 thrown in as well, and you need to be used to being asked to do steps put together in an unfamiliar way.

And yes, you tend to bump into lots of the same people at every audition!

• Like 2

From my recollection, preliminary auditions are sometimes slightly easier than Finals, in terms of speed of teaching, standard, level of vocab required etc. In all auditions I think the student's physique is equally as important as what grade you're studying.

Not all schools have Final auditions; at some it is an all-day affair. Likewise some require a solo at first round auditions but many don't.

Then you have that "certain something" the school is looking for - and all schools seem to have a different "something" in mind. My advice would be to audition at any school you'd be happy to accept a place at, try to enjoy the experience, and see what happens!

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum, balletpassion1. I can't help with your query except to say that I *think* Northern's year groups are reasonably large?

Edited to add: You could have a read through this thread and/or search within it for "Northern" - http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/5000-questions-about-upper-school-auditions/

You will probably find a lot of answers in the "Questions about Upper School" thread pinned at the top of the board; but when it comes to the level of the audition classes dd said that they varied, but generally were a very strong Inter with a bit of Adv 1 thrown in as well, and you need to be used to being asked to do steps put together in an unfamiliar way.

And yes, you tend to bump into lots of the same people at every audition!

All excellent advice. The link to the questions about Upper School thread is provided above. :-)

The standard part of your question is difficult to answer. I would say the auditionees will be of a level that their current teacher thinks that with further three years worth of intense training they will be ready for jobs within the industry.

Some places have pre audition workshops and it might be worth attending some so firstly you know what to expect at an audition and also to see how comfortable you feel with the other potential auditionees.

Are you of an age that you are looking for sixth form next year?

I am 15 years old and auditioning for September 2016, I haven't been to many auditions!

For the students auditioning, I would expect them to have at least passed an intermediate level ballet exam (of course this is not set in stone and someone may have loads of potential but just not had high level training). There will be plenty who will have passed advanced 1 and a few who will have their advanced 2. But, having passed this level of exam does not mean the candidate has the correct physique for a classical career. The class standard will vary, but as mentioned above the first audition will usually be more basic at inter level, and then more advanced for the second audition - very importantly you will need to be comfortable with picking up unusual routines and unfamiliar settings for exercises, lots of free work of an advanced 1 level will be beneficial.

• Like 3

I am 15 years old and auditioning for September 2016, I haven't been to many auditions!

Do you do classes other than syllabus work? Have you spoken to your teacher about your ambitions? Have you visited any of the schools? If not check their websites for open days or any classes over half term.

• Like 4

Do you do classes other than syllabus work? Have you spoken to your teacher about your ambitions? Have you visited any of the schools? If not check their websites for open days or any classes over half term.

I used to do syllabus,not anymore currently do non syllabus and I've spoken to my dance teacher and she's confident that I can do it,I will check out for open days aswell!

Thank you!

• Like 1

Even if you are not planning on auditioning at ENBS their audition day is a good experience, with a class, talk and Q&A session. This year it is on 26th Oct. If you can get to experience the day you will know what sort of exercises to expect at the auditions.

Central don't have details of their Dance Days yet on the website but no harm in emailing and asking about them.

• Like 1