Non vocational student applying for upper school concerns

Flexible Fred

Hello me again

I have to say I am very concerned about my Dd applying for upper school and managing her expectations is a big concern of mine

I want her to follow her dream , of course I do

By like every dad I want to protect her and would hate to see her upset and disappointed

How I wish I could see into the future

Any stories of non vocational students getting a sixth form place or this pretty much unheard of ?

A young friend of mine went to Central, he was an SA before that, did well at the Genee and has been with Scottish Ballet for a couple of years now. He went to a very very good local stage school with a good reputation, which is what is needed to be successful at Upper School auditions!

Heather

Aka Taximom

• Like 3

I know of 9 non vocational students starting 6th form vocational school this summer. All attended an associate class once a week alongside very good local dance schools. There is a huge amount of competition from all over the world but you have to let them try. If they are determined they will get over a few knock backs. My dd has had a few rejections along the way. How she coped with them will provide a couple of good paragraphs on her personal statement I think!!

• Like 3

Plenty of non vocational girls get into vocational sixth form. Most that I have come across do a combination of good quality local classes, associates, summer schools and one off masterclasses so it can be quite a jigsaw puzzle to get access to good training and to keep benchmarking progress but definitely worth a shot.

• Like 3

Thankyou all for replying

I guess there are just no guarantee's are there

Will let her apply , wait for the verdicts and offer her my continued support

Such a hard dream to follow with so much competition and don't get me started on the funding issue!

Absolutely no idea how I will fund her dream if she is offered a place even with funding it's still a huge amount of money to find.

I will be in debt til I am a OAP

On saying that the joy of ballet has enriched all of our lives and have no regrets

• Like 5

We found a great teacher by word of mouth & attending a workshop but it involved travelling to Birmingham.

Recently dd attended a one off workshop with the teacher lovetodance2003 mentions & again found out that she does privates though we havnt arranged anything - yet

Keep your eye out for the kind of calibre teacher who runs this type of workshop as often they go hand in hand with privates.

• Like 1

Flexible Fred what a wonderfully supportive dad you are! Because of this I'm sure your DD will come through somehow even if she does not end up with her dream ......which is not at all impossible by the way!

My dad just said "waste of time ...just concentrate on your school work!!

Your DD is very lucky.

• Like 3

Thankyou Lin

I do try my best to support her, yes I lose sleep about the financial side to ballet training and then whilst I'm sitting at my desk doing my very boring job I think to myself...well how fabulous would it be to dance for a living, to live that dream and live each day like you are in

' The Kids from Fame ' ( showing my age)

I jest but you all know what I mean , must be lovely to have a passion for an art like dance , drama music etc

Do not want my little girl to have regrets in life.

I say little but she is 15!

Love her to bits and just want her to be happy

Ballet makes her happy

Onwards and upwards I say

• Like 8

My DD started a three year diploma in Musical Theatre yesterday; but she did the pre-voc last year.

She came home after the first day to say how wonderful it was to not only be 'allowed' to sing and dance all day, but to be 'required' to

It was a dream come true for her. 

I have to say I was glad she did the pre-voc as I was a little concerned about the level of work and commitment required & thought a 1 year course would be easier to 'write off' if it all went pear-shaped & she hated it - but tbh she has gone from strength to strength!

• Like 3

given that there are so many more places to study ballet and dance post 16 than pre 16, I think there are probably more students coming from non vocational schools than the vocational schools (where student numbers for years 7-11 are very limited). Its not to say that competition is not fierce because it is for EVERY school and I know that every year there are disappointed children that do not get a place at any of the schools, let alone their school of choice.

My advice is to do your homework, both with and independently of your DD. Use the internet to research options for plan A, B and C. At your DD's age my eldest was very ballet focussed and had little experience in other dance styles. Her dance school was small and she had done some modern but nothing else. As we researched and she became aware of the range of courses/schools available post 16 - classical ballet - level 6 dance diploma (at least 2 dance styles)- musical theatre, she decided she just wanted to dance - so classical ballet school and dance diploma courses (definitely not musical theatre as did not want to sing). Next consideration was if she wanted to do A levels alongside - she did - so that limited her options at 16. So her plan A was to audition in year 11 for classical ballet schools and schools where she could do A levels alongside the diploma. Plan B was to do her A levels and then apply to as many places for dance as possible. In our area there was no suitable btec for 16-18 year olds so she did not consider that.

Alongside all that, we, as parents looked at the finances too, of course, but the system changed the year after DD started so our experiences are not valid now.

Our research was internet, open days or taster days at schools and MoveIt in London (though not all exhibit there). DD had about 10 hours ballet a week - a combination of local school, supplementing classes at a school an hour away, RAD associates, summer schools and she got a funded place aged 16 at vocational school. She graduated this summer with her level 6 diploma, 2 A levels and her first professional dance contract. Is it classical ballet - no! Its for a cruise ship - but she is happy that she will get her dream of earning her living by dancing. She has changed since she was 15 - her expectations, her goals etc but all I ever wanted for her is to be happy and to be able to do what she loves. Choosing to audition was just the first step along the way. You just do not know what the future will hold.

• Like 11

Its the opportunities that you don't take that you regret later. This is our one life so make it the best you can. You know when your child is really really passionate to do something. Having also come from a 'anything non academic is a waste of time' environment it made me uneasy to begin with. But no subject choice or career is bullet proof these days and just because a job is dull no longer means its safe. Most people now expect to have 2 or 3 careers over the course of a working life so at least one of them should be something you love. I have no idea what the future holds for my dd, but then I would not want to predict where my non-d d will wind up either. So deep breath, all my money and apparently lots of wine and lets see what happens....

My take on it is that you can study A'Levels at any age, providing your brain is willing and able - but you really need to be in full-time training for a career as a classical dancer by 16 or 18. I wanted my dd to get a good balanced bunch of GCSEs so that she has an academic backup (she actually did amazingly) but I never wanted her to say "you didn't let me try for my dream".

• Like 9

My take on it is that you can study A'Levels at any age, providing your brain is willing and able - but you really need to be in full-time training for a career as a classical dancer by 16 or 18. I wanted my dd to get a good balanced bunch of GCSEs so that she has an academic backup (she actually did amazingly) but I never wanted her to say "you didn't let me try for my dream".

Absolutely. I have a relative who left school at 16, joined the military with O levels as his highest academic qualifications but has now got a Law degree and is studying for the Bar exams at present (in his mid 40s). Not easy by any means, but it does go to show that you don't have to be set in a career path at 16 or 18 and you can change and do other things later in life. I sometimes wish I'd been a bit more of a dreamer and a bit less "sensible" in my youth, but at least my sensible career provides the money for my children's dreams so I guess I did the right thing.

• Like 6

I absolutely agree that it is good to pursue what it is that you want to do etc but I do think the stakes are higher than even a few years ago now that university fees are so high. It must make financing a career change extremely difficult.