Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

On 06/10/2021 at 12:18, Stevie said:

Soon to be released on Blu-Ray (and DVD)

Minkus Don Quixote ( Nureyev, Helpmann & Powell)

Schubert  Winterreise - Ballet Zurich

La Scala - Ballet Box

Pas d'Ecole - Paris Opera Ballet School

I notice what it says about the soon to be release Don Quixote with Nureyev, Helpman and Powel. (Lovingly restored from the original 35mm film, and to be heard for the first time in full surround sound digital stereo created for the DVD and Blu-ray release, this is finally, how Nureyev intended his Don Quixote to be seen and heard.)

• Like 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might I add a few words from the perspective of a copyright holder? My company owns the copyright in several hundred hours of archive television programming, some of which is valuable and may indeed become more valuable as the years roll on and people move from life into history:

https://www.openmedia.co.uk

The opinions of my colleagues on the subject of YouTube run across the spectrum, from digital anarchy ("there is no point in protecting anything, that is so 20th century") to the pragmatic ("if people steal our clips and spread them around, that's good advertising") to legalistic exactitude ("anyone who uses our IP without a licence is breaking the law").

I need to strike a fair balance in a world where almost everyone is getting accustomed to finding almost everything online within a few minutes of searching. We tend to ask YouTube to take down poor quality copies of our material which end up online, as we have come across a fair few media companies who sadly try and exploit our footage without our permission (footage they rip from YouTube). Whether we like it or not, we are bound by the contracts which govern this content, much of it produced in another era.

But we have our own YouTube channel, continue to release clips on a regular basis for free and, if someone has a particular research interest, we try and help out with copies for a small fee, subject to various legal restrictions.

Hope this helps provide a little context. I don't however pretend to speak for the BBC or other such large operations.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Might I add a few words from the perspective of a copyright holder? My company owns the copyright in several hundred hours of archive television programming, some of which is valuable and may indeed become more valuable as the years roll on and people move from life into history:

The opinions of my colleagues on the subject of YouTube run across the spectrum, from digital anarchy ("there is no point in protecting anything, that is so 20th century") to the pragmatic ("if people steal our clips and spread them around, that's good advertising") to legalistic exactitude ("anyone who uses our IP without a licence is breaking the law").

I need to strike a fair balance in a world where almost everyone is getting accustomed to finding almost everything online within a few minutes of searching. We tend to ask YouTube to take down poor quality copies of our material which end up online, as we have come across a fair few media companies who sadly try and exploit our footage without our permission (footage they rip from YouTube). Whether we like it or not, we are bound by the contracts which govern this content, much of it produced in another era.

But we have our own YouTube channel, continue to release clips on a regular basis for free and, if someone has a particular research interest, we try and help out with copies for a small fee, subject to various legal restrictions.

Hope this helps provide a little context. I don't however pretend to speak for the BBC or other such large operations.

It appears that this thread is going to continue amongst the Upcoming Releases thread, so is it possible for a moderator to move it to a relevant thread. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Sorry to go even further off topic, but - you made After Dark? What a remarkable thing; you must be very proud!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

What a nice thing to say Lizbie1, how good you remember! 

I wasn't really old enough to watch it at the time - I don't know if you'll be pleased to learn that I've mostly seen it on YouTube!

I shared a link a few weeks ago with my older brother, who recognised it straight away and remembered how watchable (his word) it was.

1 hour ago, Sebastian said:

It is right that IP should be protected and able to provide revenue for its owners as well as lawful sharing. In the case I cited, 'Jewels', I was trying to pursued the owner to sell it to me and to the world, but they protected their rights to bury it, after a successful cinema viewing. I claimed that it was the best of the various productions of this piece and I have them all to compare. What a loss this has been to people like those on this forum. There was an official taster clip on you tube as well, to advertise what ?

• Like 1