charliewise

Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

6 hours ago, John Graham said:

The DVD and BluRay of the Royal Ballet production of “Within the Golden Hour” / “Medusa” / “Flight Pattern” has appeared on Amazon as due for release on 17th January 2020!!

I have also been told in ROH shop that the long awaited “La Bayadere” from last November will be available in February.

Hello John and welcome to the Forum.

6 hours ago, Tebasile said:

Oh dear, silly joke, I believe the serious discussion was elsewhere

Had to search on Google to see the joke and what a joke it was. Was there an outcome at the time, or some sort on 'punch line'.

On 27/11/2019 at 11:43, John Graham said:

The DVD and BluRay of the Royal Ballet production of “Within the Golden Hour” / “Medusa” / “Flight Pattern” has appeared on Amazon as due for release on 17th January 2020!!

I have also been told in ROH shop that the long awaited “La Bayadere” from last November will be available in February.

Bayadere DVD and Blu Ray are now available for pre-order on Amazon with a February 21 release date.

Also able to be pre-ordered for the same release date is Natalia: Force of Nature.  Currently only the Blu Ray format is able to be pre-ordered.  There is a separate entry for the DVD format, but it has yet to go live for pre-order. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Drosselmeyer said:

Hello all...

I'm new round these parts, so be gentle!

Has anyone on here bought the new Nutcracker Blu-ray release by Opus Arte? I've noticed on Amazon there's a couple of negative reviews mentioning that the video recording is sub-standard with possible problems with the authoring of the disc?

I bought the blu ray when it came out and watched it for the first time on Sunday. I've got no idea what authoring means but there was definitely a visual quality to the picture that is unlike other recent RB Opus Arte blu rays. I first spotted it during the footage of the opening orchestra piece...I put that down to them perhaps using small HD cameras for the multiple viewing angles around the orchestra pit but there is something about the main view too.

Edit, I've just read the reviews, they seem to be talking about skipping etc....blu ray is not known for smooth scrolling and panning, I don't know the technical stuff about the reasons for that.

Edited by Rob S

I've just watched the first act of my copy of this blu ray for the first time and found the image to be stunningly sharp - more so than any other Royal Ballet blu ray I've seen. And very noticeably clearer than the 2016 Nutcracker recording I saw at the cinema on Tuesday.

The only thing I can think (unless the reviewers on Amazon had genuinely faulty copies) is that the more static images are so perfect, it's really like you're there on the stage with the dancers. But of course, when they move it's impossible for the focus to remain quite as clear as real life. So maybe that feels disappointing in comparison. But a really great blu ray. The Snowflakes in particular were easily the most visually stunning I've seen them on film.

• Like 1

The reviews on Amazon can be very technical, and not just for ballet, I have the new Nutcracker Blu-Ray and find it perfect, the Snowflakes scene and Snow pas de deux seem particularly clear.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. ☺️

Sounds like the RB might have upgraded their cameras and are now filming in 4K. I mean, it'll still be 1080i quality on the Blu-ray but downsampled from a much higher resolution.

Excited to see the disc now!

I have just watched the newly released version of Swan Lake from The National Ballet of the Ukraine. It ranks very highly among the 14 versions of Swan Lake that I have on DVD and blu-ray, having dispensed with three other versions to create space. In both production quality, artistic merit and virtuosity of performance, this is up there with the best of the 'A' list companies. It is also one of the few happy ending versions that are available and we all love a happy ending. It is well filmed with very good vision and sound quality. All the principles are excellent and Natalya Matsak is very special, with the dynamics of her third act coda being worth the entry fee alone. The corps de ballet and soloists crisp and precise, orchestra perfect, costumes and sets very good. As noted elsewhere, there are differences between other productions, but other productions are also different with each other and there is nothing within this version to find fault. This is one to keep and to treasure. The second recent release in HD by this company and I am hoping for many more to come. A big, bold production from a top company.

• Like 2

On 19/12/2019 at 20:13, Drosselmeyer said:

Hello all...

I'm new round these parts, so be gentle!

Has anyone on here bought the new Nutcracker Blu-ray release by Opus Arte? I've noticed on Amazon there's a couple of negative reviews mentioning that the video recording is sub-standard with possible problems with the authoring of the disc?

Yes I have and I have left a review on Amazon. My disc was perfect and I had no issues. Beautiful all round.

While we wait for the remaining two RB live cinema performances from the 2018/19 season to arrive on disk, I am wondering what we can hope for from the 2019/20 season.

The Dante Project seems a dead cert. Almost anything McGregor does at the RB gets priority and this for me promises to be the most exciting thing he has done;

Coppelia also seems very likely - there hasn’t been a release since the DVD (with Benjamin brilliant as Swanilda and including Nunez as one of her friends) back in 2001 and a blu-ray is very overdue;

I would hope to see the two Mixed programmes: The Cellist/Dances at a Gathering; and Concerto/Enigma Variations/ Raymonda Act III but I will be surprised if we see both and I’m not sure, if I had to choose, which one I would prefer;

The other two seem v unlikely - there are already two fine performances of Sleeping Beauty available on DVD/blu-ray, the most recent from 2018; and Scarlett’s Swan Lake also has been released very recently. Neither seem a high priority for a new release;

For completeness sake, I'll just add that I am less excited by the RO cinema airings but I guess Bryn Terfel singing Don Pasquale and Elektra with Nina Stemme and Karita Mattila would probably turn out to be the pick of a poor bunch for me.   

I just hope we won’t have the usual interminable wait for the releases!!!!

And I'm guessing we will also see recordings of Victoria and The Snow Queen on disk but have no idea what else we might expect from other companies, either UK or elsewhere. If anyone has any info to share I'd be glad to hear.

Edited by David
  • Like 1

My dearest wish would be to see DVDs released by Birmingham Royal Ballet and Northern Ballet...

It would be wonderful if some of the fabulous performances by both these companies over the past year had been filmed and released.  Hopefully Victoria will be released and I would love Dracula and Hobson's Choice too.  (Oh and ENB's Corsaire).

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

My dearest wish would be to see DVDs released by Birmingham Royal Ballet and Northern Ballet...

It would be wonderful if some of the fabulous performances by both these companies over the past year had been filmed and released.  Hopefully Victoria will be released and I would love Dracula and Hobson's Choice too.  (Oh and ENB's Corsaire).

I so agree - part re Dracula and a new recording of Hobson's Choice - the old recording of the latter is one of my favourite disks. The ENB Corsaire was issued on DVD back in 2015 with Cojocaru and Muntagirov - I assume that is the production you mean? But there have been so many productions by Birmingham and Northern Ballet - and Scottish Ballet too - that I so wish could been have preserved on disk: Cleopatra,  Le Baiser de la Fee to name but two, not just in their own right but also as memories of the dancers that performed in them. And I'm still waiting for a recording of Bourne's Red Shoes.

Edited by David
  • Like 3

You won't have to wait much longer on that one, David :)  Featuring Ashley Shaw, Dominic North (I nearly wrote Cooper!) and Adam Cooper :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, alison said:

You won't have to wait much longer on that one, David :)  Featuring Ashley Shaw, Dominic North (I nearly wrote Cooper!) and Adam Cooper :)

That is good to know - thank you Alison.

Edited by David

And as if by magic, or spying 🤔 Marianela Nuñez has just posted the artwork on Instagram !

Oh joy, Amazon has emailed to say the Medusa DVD/Blu Ray has had its release date from 17th Jan to 14th Feb!! Grrrrr

The Medusa DVD is now in the ROH shop, no sign of the blu ray though 

22 hours ago, Rob S said:

Oh joy, Amazon has emailed to say the Medusa DVD/Blu Ray has had its release date from 17th Jan to 14th Feb!! Grrrrr

Yes I've had the same email. But I see that the release date on other amazon outlets around the Globe is still 24/1 - eg France, Germany USA. Either Amazon UK is quicker off the mark up-dating the release date or we've drawn the short straw!!!

I can’t imagine there will be a rush on it whenever it’s released!  

• Like 5