Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Beryl H said:

The Mother, danced by Natalia Osipova and Jonathan Goddard, will be released on DVD and Blu-Ray, no details of when, on Amazon.

Looks like it could be 15th May

• 2 weeks later...

I found this on social media.....a Blu-ray of the Takada/ Campbell performance of 2019 is apparently due for release in May.

The ROH told me in January that the recording company Naxos has no plans to release this,  so I assume it is a different recording (but the same cast) to that shown here in cinemas - but presumably only to be released in Japan. 

I am wondering  who is distributing the BluRay/DVD and how to get hold of a  copy here.......

Having no  understanding of Japanese, can anyone help out?

BluRay1.thumb.jpg.dbbdc26924170a3d8d6d714d3daf309f.jpg

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
10 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I found this on social media.....a Blu-ray of the Takada/ Campbell performance of 2019 is apparently due for release in May.

The ROH told me in January that the recording company Naxos has no plans to release this,  so I assume it is a different recording (but the same cast) to that shown here in cinemas - but presumably only to be released in Japan. 

I am wondering  who is distributing the BluRay/DVD and how to get hold of a  copy here.......

I have ordered several items from Amazon Japan and they did have an English translation available

https://www.amazon.co.jp/In-English/b?ie=UTF8&node=1094656

Edited by oncnp

36 minutes ago, oncnp said:

I have ordered several items from Amazon Japan and they did have an English translation available

I checked Amazon Japan but couldn't find it. If anyone can find a link I'm sure many of us will be grateful.

1 hour ago, David said:

I checked Amazon Japan but couldn't find it. If anyone can find a link I'm sure many of us will be grateful.

Well it hasn't been released yet, so perhaps it's a bit premature for Amazon Japan. But I wonder which company or companies are producing and distributing it and whether there are direct links to them...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard LH said:

BluRay1.thumb.jpg.dbbdc26924170a3d8d6d714d3daf309f.jpg

This blu-ray is distributed by Shinshokan, which is a publisher that publishes Shinshokan Dance Magazine, so it is not available on Amazon Japan  (I don't know why but they usually don't deal with Shinshokan DVDs) and this online store does not ship overseas.

https://www.fairynet.co.jp/SHOP/4560219325555.html

It will be in stores in May here, and maybe at that point there will be other retailers that will ship overseas, I will look out for that.  (Probably HMV Books here deals with Shinsokan DVDs so I think it will be distributed there and that store does ship overseas https://www.hmv.co.jp/en/ )

Edited by Naomi M
typo
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

This is wonderful thank you! Does anyone know if it's possible to switch the language to English? I think I've added it to my cart but not sure which button to press next! Thanks for any advice 🙂

1 hour ago, DanJL said:

This is wonderful thank you! Does anyone know if it's possible to switch the language to English? I think I've added it to my cart but not sure which button to press next! Thanks for any advice 🙂

Sorry I should have posted the link to the English page.

https://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Ballet-Dances-Classical_000000000040071/item_Don-Quixote-Minkus-Alexander-Campbell-Akane-Takada-The-Royal-Ballet-2019_10900670

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DanJL said:

Brilliant, thank you so much Naomi M!

Unfortunately at check out the site informed me they have temporarily suspended international shipping. But I'll keep checking back 🙂

I had that problem with HMV too.

I have ordered one instead  from Tower Records    https://tower.jp/item/5053107    and specified   Tenso  https://www.tenso.com/en/static/guide_index as the delivery address (the Tenso site has instructions how to do this). Tenso act  as a Japanese domestic collection/international distribution site, so you can buy from another  Japanese site and get Tenso to send it, choosing a delivery method  - they offer  DHL to avoid (hopefully) the sort of delays  currently involved with the Japanese international post (EMS).

Or perhaps more simply, it seems Zenmarket  https://zenmarket.jp/en/quickguide.aspx  will do the buying  for you, from a chosen source which you can specify from a  URL  e.g. https://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/hmv/10900670.html?sc_i=shp_pc_search_itemlist_shsrg_title , and then you pay  Zenmarket to send it on, once they have it, via a choice of carriers. It seems you have to front-load some money into e.g. a PayPal account before they will place the order for you. 

Being new to this I cannot yet recommend the best option! Not sure how it will work out, or how long it will take, but so far so good  (Tower  notified me today that it has been shipped, so I will check with Tenso in a day or two). 

• Like 1

Very pleased and excited to receive delivery of the  Takada/Campbell Don Q BVD this morning ! 💃

I ordered it from Tower Records on 24th May; it  was received by  Tenso on 28th and was dispatched via DHL on 01 June.

Pretty amazed that it only took two days for DHL  to get it here from Japan! Great service.... 

© 2019 Royal Opera House Covent Garden Foundation, under exclusive licence to Nexus Rights (Europe) Ltd.

Don Q BVD.jpg

Akane2.jpg

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 9

It is lovely to be able to see this again, with its wonderful cast, in addition to Takada and Campbell, including  Zucchetti, Magri, Kaneko, Turk,  O'Sullivan, Saunders, Mosley, and Whitehead. Apart from the delight of the ballet itself, I am particularity impressed by the quality of the  Blu Ray recording, in terms of sharpness, brightness, colour and the choice of filming angles:  I can't work out, or recall,  whether  in these respects  it is the same as we saw at the live cinema screening. The lighting, at least, is much better than usually comes across in the cinema, and  better for example than  the earlier Blu Ray of the Nunez/Acosta Don Q version.   Anyway, its well worth getting if  you are a Don Q fan, or an admirer of Takada and/or  Campbell !!

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, DanJL said:

Excited to get my copy! Although for information it's looking like Zenmarket is a slower service than Tenso. Useful to find these things out though!

Maybe a bit cheaper though....

Edited by Richard LH

28 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Opus Arte have the Royal Ballet DVD , Concerto/Enigma/Raymonda act 3, advertised on Amazon for release on 17th July, to pre -order

Annoyingly the blu ray is not yet available to pre order yet

• Like 1

Still no blu-ray listed and I'm beginning to wonder if this might be the start of a new policy in these straitened times. I guess mixed programmes do not sell as well as narrative ballets? There is precedent - Opus Arte took the decision to discontinue blu-ray releases from The Globe quite awhile back and as I remember a blu-ray of Elizabeth was not released. Meanwhile, given the current price fluidity I have ordered the DVD. One can always cancel and re-order if the situation changes co that can only be a win-win!

Guest oncnp
7 minutes ago, David said:

Still no blu-ray listed and I'm beginning to wonder if this might be the start of a new policy in these straitened times. I guess mixed programmes do not sell as well as narrative ballets? There is precedent - Opus Arte took the decision to discontinue blu-ray releases from The Globe quite awhile back and as I remember a blu-ray of Elizabeth was not released. Meanwhile, given the current price fluidity I have ordered the DVD. One can always cancel and re-order if the situation changes co that can only be a win-win!

HMV Japan has it listed so they think it's being released...

https://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Ballet-Dances-Classical_000000000040071/item_Concerto-Enigma-Variations-Raymonda-Act-3-Royal-Ballet_10966924

The blu ray is listed; it just isn't able to be ordered at this stage.  This has happened several times with Royal Ballet/Opus Arte releases over recent years (I always buy the blu ray and so have often had to wait to make the pre-order) and seems more likely to be Amazon's product loading issue than a sign that Opus Arte are going with DVD only.  Bizarrely, Amazon already have the Cellist/Dances at a Gathering DVD and blu ray available to pre-order and with what seem to be final packaging images even though the release date is said to be January 2021.  I thought that with Elizabeth the issue was said to be that they didn't use the right sort of camera for blu ray to make sense, but I may be wrong; I recall the topic being discussed before regarding that particular recording. I still find it absurd that Opus Arte don't make their recordings available online, given that DVD and even blu ray are used by fewer and fewer people.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, barton22 said:

Amazon already have the Cellist/Dances at a Gathering DVD and blu ray available to pre-order and with what seem to be final packaging images even though the release date is said to be January 2021.

Is this Amazon.co.uk? Do you have a link for this please? I don't seem able to find it.

5 hours ago, Rob S said:

I'm sure there will be a blu ray, maybe there isn't a release date yet for the same reason the Medusa dvd/blu ray had different release dates

The Blu-ray has been registered with a bar code, which is fairly conclusive that it exists as a manufactured product. Just need to be patient with the pre order confirmation, after all, it wont arrive any sooner than the release date, whenever it is paid for.

• Like 1

On 08/06/2020 at 11:44, barton22 said:

I still find it absurd that Opus Arte don't make their recordings available online, given that DVD and even blu ray are used by fewer and fewer people.  

Surely the closure of the theatres and the rush switch to live-streaming will have hastened the demise of the DVD/Blu-ray. Apart from the Concerto/Enigma/Raymonda and Cellist/Dances releases and possibly still Coppelia in mid 2021 I'm not aware of any other Arts releases in the pipeline from any company other than a rapidly diminishing batch of concert performances tho I still have hopes for The Red Shoes following the cancellation of the cinema relay. Even if theatres re-open, maybe with live broadcasts, even possibly live cinema relays one can't see any more performing Arts disk releases for at least 18 months by which time the technology will have moved on. It will depend on the movie industry of course, not the relatively small Arts niche, and surely the future there is already being taken over by digital streaming? Will there still be a cinema industry as we have known it? The question which the current ROH survey didn't tackle was whether one would merely want a one-off watch or to down-load streamed performances which would surely affect what people are prepared to pay,.

I find the future for recordings very uncertain as I guess we all do. It's depressing - does anyone see some light?      

Edited by David

1 hour ago, David said:

Surely the closure of the theatres and the rush switch to live-streaming will have hastened the demise of the DVD/Blu-ray. Apart from the Concerto/Enigma/Raymonda and Cellist/Dances releases and possibly still Coppelia in mid 2021 I'm not aware of any other Arts releases in the pipeline from any company other than a rapidly diminishing batch of concert performances tho I still have hopes for The Red Shoes following the cancellation of the cinema relay. Even if theatres re-open, maybe with live broadcasts, even possibly live cinema relays one can't see any more performing Arts disk releases for at least 18 months by which time the technology will have moved on. It will depend on the movie industry of course, not the relatively small Arts niche, and surely the future there is already being taken over by digital streaming? Will there still be a cinema industry as we have known it? The question which the current ROH survey didn't tackle was whether one would merely want a one-off watch or to down-load streamed performances which would surely affect what people are prepared to pay,.

I find the future for recordings very uncertain as I guess we all do. It's depressing - does anyone see some light?      

There has been a decline in disc sales as streaming has grown. However the current return on optical disc movie sales is still a very healthy 4 billion dollars per year, in the US alone.

With a massively reduced production cost over the years and little  new investment requirement, it appears very unlikely that distributors would completely abandon this lucrative market. It is more likely that the future of DVD & Blu-ray, in years to come, will have a similar future to Vinyl, which was replaced by tape and then disc, but now forms a very lucrative niche market, having made a healthy return. I don't see a need to worry about buying on disc for a long time to come. There are some shrewd businesses out there and why make money on one product if you can make money  on several.

Edited by Stevie
typo
  • Like 1