charliewise

Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

Will there be a DVD for the last Don Quixote cinema showing with Takada and Campbell?

42 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

Will there be a DVD for the last Don Quixote cinema showing with Takada and Campbell?

With the release on DVD & Blue Ray of just over five years ago, I wouldn't expect them to release it again so soon. However they are doing some strange things, so who knows.

Just think how it used to be when everything was on VHS at maybe 2.5 times the thickness!  But yes, I know what you mean, Stevie.

• Like 2

have just been advised by Amazon that the new Mayerling with McRae is not being issued. No explanation, and it still appears on the ROH web site as being available for pre order. Wonder what's happened?

19 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

have just been advised by Amazon that the new Mayerling with McRae is not being issued. No explanation, and it still appears on the ROH web site as being available for pre order. Wonder what's happened?

How odd!  Maybe they secretly filmed Morera and Bonelli and are releasing that instead.  That could be wishful thinking on my part. 😉

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Anna C said:

How odd!  Maybe they secretly filmed Morera and Bonelli and are releasing that instead.  That could be wishful thinking on my part. 😉

And mine!!

• Like 1

There's something odd about this. Soon after it was shown in cinemas, it was on You Tube, together with a Nutcracker which was also in cinemas around the same time. I watched Mayerling and it looked fine to me from a technical point of view. A couple of days later I went back to see Nutcracker and both had disappeared. Altogether strange.

2 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

Friends of Covent Garden have just been sent an email offering them the McRae Mayerling DVD at a discount.  Surely that means it will definitely be issued?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Friends of Covent Garden have just been sent an email offering them the McRae Mayerling DVD at a discount.  Surely that means it will definitely be issued?

yes, just received this, a!though it's shown on the web site as being available to pre - order. Yet another case of his information on the web site!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

There's something odd about this. Soon after it was shown in cinemas, it was on You Tube, together with a Nutcracker which was also in cinemas around the same time. I watched Mayerling and it looked fine to me from a technical point of view. A couple of days later I went back to see Nutcracker and both had disappeared.

I should hope they had.  As far as I know, the ROH isn't in the habit of posting its live relays on YouTube, so anything on there would have been breaching copyright.

Edited by alison

3 hours ago, Anna C said:

LOL.  Mine too.  *That* one I might have bothered buying :) 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

There's something odd about this. Soon after it was shown in cinemas, it was on You Tube, together with a Nutcracker which was also in cinemas around the same time. I watched Mayerling and it looked fine to me from a technical point of view. A couple of days later I went back to see Nutcracker and both had disappeared. Altogether strange.

They also illegally had La Bayadere too .

Amazon haven't told me about it not being issued so that must mean I'm receiving it :D

• Like 1

On 18/07/2019 at 20:09, alison said:

I should hope they had.  As far as I know, the ROH isn't in the habit of posting its live relays on YouTube, so anything on there would have been breaching copyright.

The ROH currently has Carmen on YouTube available to watch until 1st August, so it's possible the ballets were posted officially for a limited time only. 

https://youtu.be/ER0Cj4DP4jo

Oh, really?  That must be a new approach, then.  I'm certainly not aware that they've done it previously.

35 minutes ago, alison said:

Oh, really?  That must be a new approach, then.  I'm certainly not aware that they've done it previously.

The recent big screen showing of Marriage of Figaro is on You Tube, but I think the Mayerling i referred to was not like the usual ROH showing - no introduction, no interval talks, not even cast details. Had every appearance of being a bit under cover, although the actual film quality was fibe.

1 hour ago, ninamargaret said:

The recent big screen showing of Marriage of Figaro is on You Tube, but I think the Mayerling i referred to was not like the usual ROH showing - no introduction, no interval talks, not even cast details. Had every appearance of being a bit under cover, although the actual film quality was fibe.

The person that uploaded Mayerling, Nutcracker and LB had their account closed down by Youtube

• Like 1

The mystery deepens. I received an email from Amazon inviting me to pre order the Blue Ray version. Opus arte's web site doesn't list it. My usual CD/DVD supplier has taken an order from me - wonder if it will actually appear?

Steven McRae has 'advertised' the Mayerling DVD on social media so he obviously believes it is coming out soon.

• Like 1

Ignore Amazon, they are only distributing the blu-ray at the moment, for reasons best known to themselves. The DVD however is available in warehouses, ready to pre order. Best buy from the UK at the moment is via 'Speedy Hen UK'. They are taking pre-orders for DVD at £23.02 and Blu-ray at £26.49, free postage & packing. I have used them for years,shipped from the UK and much more reliable than Amazon, they actually have a living, communicating, human, customer services department, which is contactable.

Thanks for this, Stevie. I've got it on order from Europadisc, my usual supplier and it's £22.36. Must admit I have never had a problem with Amazon, but I find this particular instance strange.

I have never used Europadisc, so don't know what they are like. Whenever I have checked them out, I have found their delivery charges to be excessive, up to £2.50 for a DVD. I use Musicmagpie and SpeedyHen, because their delivery charges are free, what you see is what you pay. I see that Europadisc are currently advertising Mayerling at £23.36, plus £2.50 p&p, giving a total of £25.86, as apposed to SpeedyHen at £23.02 all in, for the same product.

I expect I already have all the components of the Ashton - as I suspect will many others.  I was hoping there was another DVD with shorter works coming.

• Like 3

I started to get very over-excited at the mention of Sylvia on the Ashton dvd with visions of Vadim and Marianella Nunez but then realised it will probably be the Darcey Bussell version which I already have. Criminal the recent version wasn't filmed and I'm keeping everything crossed for this to be rectified the season after next.

• Like 1