Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

On 19/12/2019 at 20:13, Drosselmeyer said:

Hello all...

I'm new round these parts, so be gentle!

Has anyone on here bought the new Nutcracker Blu-ray release by Opus Arte? I've noticed on Amazon there's a couple of negative reviews mentioning that the video recording is sub-standard with possible problems with the authoring of the disc?

Yes I have and I have left a review on Amazon. My disc was perfect and I had no issues. Beautiful all round.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While we wait for the remaining two RB live cinema performances from the 2018/19 season to arrive on disk, I am wondering what we can hope for from the 2019/20 season.

The Dante Project seems a dead cert. Almost anything McGregor does at the RB gets priority and this for me promises to be the most exciting thing he has done;

Coppelia also seems very likely - there hasn’t been a release since the DVD (with Benjamin brilliant as Swanilda and including Nunez as one of her friends) back in 2001 and a blu-ray is very overdue;

I would hope to see the two Mixed programmes: The Cellist/Dances at a Gathering; and Concerto/Enigma Variations/ Raymonda Act III but I will be surprised if we see both and I’m not sure, if I had to choose, which one I would prefer;

The other two seem v unlikely - there are already two fine performances of Sleeping Beauty available on DVD/blu-ray, the most recent from 2018; and Scarlett’s Swan Lake also has been released very recently. Neither seem a high priority for a new release;

For completeness sake, I'll just add that I am less excited by the RO cinema airings but I guess Bryn Terfel singing Don Pasquale and Elektra with Nina Stemme and Karita Mattila would probably turn out to be the pick of a poor bunch for me.   

I just hope we won’t have the usual interminable wait for the releases!!!!

And I'm guessing we will also see recordings of Victoria and The Snow Queen on disk but have no idea what else we might expect from other companies, either UK or elsewhere. If anyone has any info to share I'd be glad to hear.

Edited by David
  • Like 1

My dearest wish would be to see DVDs released by Birmingham Royal Ballet and Northern Ballet...

It would be wonderful if some of the fabulous performances by both these companies over the past year had been filmed and released.  Hopefully Victoria will be released and I would love Dracula and Hobson's Choice too.  (Oh and ENB's Corsaire).

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

My dearest wish would be to see DVDs released by Birmingham Royal Ballet and Northern Ballet...

It would be wonderful if some of the fabulous performances by both these companies over the past year had been filmed and released.  Hopefully Victoria will be released and I would love Dracula and Hobson's Choice too.  (Oh and ENB's Corsaire).

I so agree - part re Dracula and a new recording of Hobson's Choice - the old recording of the latter is one of my favourite disks. The ENB Corsaire was issued on DVD back in 2015 with Cojocaru and Muntagirov - I assume that is the production you mean? But there have been so many productions by Birmingham and Northern Ballet - and Scottish Ballet too - that I so wish could been have preserved on disk: Cleopatra,  Le Baiser de la Fee to name but two, not just in their own right but also as memories of the dancers that performed in them. And I'm still waiting for a recording of Bourne's Red Shoes.

Edited by David
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, alison said:

You won't have to wait much longer on that one, David :)  Featuring Ashley Shaw, Dominic North (I nearly wrote Cooper!) and Adam Cooper :)

That is good to know - thank you Alison.

Edited by David

22 hours ago, Rob S said:

Oh joy, Amazon has emailed to say the Medusa DVD/Blu Ray has had its release date from 17th Jan to 14th Feb!! Grrrrr

Yes I've had the same email. But I see that the release date on other amazon outlets around the Globe is still 24/1 - eg France, Germany USA. Either Amazon UK is quicker off the mark up-dating the release date or we've drawn the short straw!!!

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Rob S said:

Yay! The Medusa blu ray is now in the ROH shop....cancelled my Amazon order on the spot ‘Arriving 19 Feb’ indeed!! 🙄

Yes it has been in the ROH shop for a couple of weeks at least. I have very much enjoyed seeing this Triple again. 

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Yes it has been in the ROH shop for a couple of weeks at least. I have very much enjoyed seeing this Triple again. 

The dvd has been, I’m not sure when exactly the blu ray was released as it was delayed 

• 3 weeks later...

I had been anticipating the new RB Bayadere Blu-Ray and received it yesterday from Amazon, wonderful performance and good picture quality, although still darker than it looks onstage, what a fabulous cast, looking forward to the Natalia Osipova documentary which is also due now!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Beryl H said:

I had been anticipating the new RB Bayadere Blu-Ray and received it yesterday from Amazon, wonderful performance and good picture quality, although still darker than it looks onstage, ...

I, too, was surprised at the darkness, compared to the bright and crisp filming of the previous DVD ROH release of this ballet with Rojo as Nikiya.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 19:52, Shade said:

Thanks but the filming itself can change the perspective of the performance  - hard to explain what I mean exactly.

If it is hard for you to explain what you mean, it is even harder for us to understand what you mean, so let me try.

You refer to filming changing perspective, perspective being the representation of three dimensions on a two dimensional surface such as a screen.

Well I can say that having watched this release on several occasions, the height, width, depth and positions relating to each other look exactly as you would expect.

Some reviewers have commentated on dark background, however this is limited to the opening scenes outside the temple, including the introduction of Nikiya, where there is a marked contrast, quite deliberately, between foreground and background lighting. It does not effect perspective at all.

Thanks Stevie for your reply. What I meant was the filming as in sometimes the camera is directed at the wrong dancer, or at the face only when you want to see the feet as well etc. I will go ahead and buy this blu ray to add to my collection.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/01/2020 at 11:23, David said:

While we wait for the remaining two RB live cinema performances from the 2018/19 season to arrive on disk, I am wondering what we can hope for from the 2019/20 season.

The Dante Project seems a dead cert. Almost anything McGregor does at the RB gets priority and this for me promises to be the most exciting thing he has done;

Coppelia also seems very likely - there hasn’t been a release since the DVD (with Benjamin brilliant as Swanilda and including Nunez as one of her friends) back in 2001 and a blu-ray is very overdue;

I would hope to see the two Mixed programmes: The Cellist/Dances at a Gathering; and Concerto/Enigma Variations/ Raymonda Act III but I will be surprised if we see both and I’m not sure, if I had to choose, which one I would prefer;

The other two seem v unlikely - there are already two fine performances of Sleeping Beauty available on DVD/blu-ray, the most recent from 2018; and Scarlett’s Swan Lake also has been released very recently. Neither seem a high priority for a new release;

For completeness sake, I'll just add that I am less excited by the RO cinema airings but I guess Bryn Terfel singing Don Pasquale and Elektra with Nina Stemme and Karita Mattila would probably turn out to be the pick of a poor bunch for me.   

I just hope we won’t have the usual interminable wait for the releases!!!!

And I'm guessing we will also see recordings of Victoria and The Snow Queen on disk but have no idea what else we might expect from other companies, either UK or elsewhere. If anyone has any info to share I'd be glad to hear.

Hooray!

I am delighted to report that I've received the following from the ROH shop; "Good news! Three production are set for release at the moment. The Enigma triple should be out in August, Coppelia in October and The Cellist Triple some time next year."

Still no news of a release of "The Red Shoes" though with the cancellation of the cinema relay, hopefully that will be accelerated.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, David said:

Hooray!

I am delighted to report that I've received the following from the ROH shop; "Good news! Three production are set for release at the moment. The Enigma triple should be out in August, Coppelia in October and The Cellist Triple some time next year."

Still no news of a release of "The Red Shoes" though with the cancellation of the cinema relay, hopefully that will be accelerated.

This is the only upcoming release on DVD and Blu-Ray currently adverised. Highly creditable that someone is still distributing the 10th April release, assuming it is not cancelled.

• Like 1

Copying and pasting from another thread as it's more appropriate here - looking for thoughts on DVDs and recommendations to watch. I have scanned the thread and don't think any of the below have been answered. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Durante version of Sleeping Beauty? I would be interested to see Durante but I have to admit I have some reservations about the Dowell production, I've not ever seen it but I quite like the current version so I'm thinking of going for the 2010 Cojocaru performance or the more recent Nunez/Muntagirov DVD unless people think it's worth seeing the Dowell production? Wondering what the main differences were between Dowell's and the current one? 

Similarly, I'm intrigued by the Dowell Swan Lake (there's a Nunez/Soares or Osipova/Golding recording) to see how that compares to Scarlett but will I just be disappointed? I have to admit I'm not overly keen on the swans wearing Giselle style longer dresses as opposed to tutus but wondering how radical the choreography etc differences may be, costumes/sets aside? 

Also does anyone have any 'vintage' recommendations - thinking Fonteyn (considering her Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella DVD, and would be interested to hear thoughts if anyone has seen these). I'm presuming the Sleeping Beauty is the Messel production? 

Finally La Bayadere - the 'older' DVD with Rojo/Acosta, any thoughts on that versus the most recent Nunez/Muntagirov/Osipova would be interesting to hear (I was lucky enough to see the Nunez/Muntagirov production live so I'm not sure whether to get that as a solid bet, or try seeing someone different as I've already seen Nunez/Muntagirov). I'm aware the production is the same so I guess this is more of a subjective one based on performances etc. 

Also interested to hear thoughts on the Giselle DVDs currently available - I think I'm right in saying the choreography/productions from the RB offerings (Cojocaru/Kobborg, Acosta/Osipova, Nunez/Muntagirov) are the same? Does anyone have a particular preference or recommendation? 

Appreciate a lot of the above is subjective re specific dancers/productions so there are no 'right' performances/DVD to buy but would be interested to hear some thoughts if people have any! 

And also open to more DVD recommendations whether past/present. Especially from Paris Opera/Bolshoi/Mariinsky/NYC etc as I know very little about these productions/DVDs available! Thanks all. 

Edited by JNC

Am I correct in assuming you have none of these DVDs?

Have you read the reviews of them on Amazon? Many have plenty of detail

I think I have all the 'modern' recordings, it's difficult to say which versions are better, as you say, it's very subjective re dancers. I didn't think there could be a better Giselle than Osipova but I'm glad I bought the Nunez one too last year when it was on special, she's not better, just different

19 hours ago, JNC said:

Copying and pasting from another thread as it's more appropriate here - looking for thoughts on DVDs and recommendations to watch. I have scanned the thread and don't think any of the below have been answered. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Durante version of Sleeping Beauty? I would be interested to see Durante but I have to admit I have some reservations about the Dowell production, I've not ever seen it but I quite like the current version so I'm thinking of going for the 2010 Cojocaru performance or the more recent Nunez/Muntagirov DVD unless people think it's worth seeing the Dowell production? Wondering what the main differences were between Dowell's and the current one? 

Similarly, I'm intrigued by the Dowell Swan Lake (there's a Nunez/Soares or Osipova/Golding recording) to see how that compares to Scarlett but will I just be disappointed? I have to admit I'm not overly keen on the swans wearing Giselle style longer dresses as opposed to tutus but wondering how radical the choreography etc differences may be, costumes/sets aside? 

Also does anyone have any 'vintage' recommendations - thinking Fonteyn (considering her Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella DVD, and would be interested to hear thoughts if anyone has seen these). I'm presuming the Sleeping Beauty is the Messel production? 

Finally La Bayadere - the 'older' DVD with Rojo/Acosta, any thoughts on that versus the most recent Nunez/Muntagirov/Osipova would be interesting to hear (I was lucky enough to see the Nunez/Muntagirov production live so I'm not sure whether to get that as a solid bet, or try seeing someone different as I've already seen Nunez/Muntagirov). I'm aware the production is the same so I guess this is more of a subjective one based on performances etc. 

Also interested to hear thoughts on the Giselle DVDs currently available - I think I'm right in saying the choreography/productions from the RB offerings (Cojocaru/Kobborg, Acosta/Osipova, Nunez/Muntagirov) are the same? Does anyone have a particular preference or recommendation? 

Appreciate a lot of the above is subjective re specific dancers/productions so there are no 'right' performances/DVD to buy but would be interested to hear some thoughts if people have any! 

And also open to more DVD recommendations whether past/present. Especially from Paris Opera/Bolshoi/Mariinsky/NYC etc as I know very little about these productions/DVDs available! Thanks all. 

I have all of these productions and have just watched the blu-rays of La Bayadere back to back, firstly the Nunez/Montagirov and then the Rojo/Acosta version, which also has Nunez as Gamzetti. Although both are exceptional, I did conclude that I preferred the Rojo/Acosta, mainly because the lighting and camera work was so much better engineered. Also that version is worth buying for the extras alone, particularly the interview with Tamara Rojo. In defence of the recent addition, the Corps de Ballet are exceptional, boosted by soloists and the soloists boosted by principles. So why not buy them both.

If you want any info on the other specifics, then ask about each one separately.

Edited by Stevie
typo
  • Like 1