Jump to content
charliewise

Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I cant remember the heading, but a whole lot of interactive debate on this topic, which I was drawn into.  I had contacted ROH marketing and advised the rights sold to cmajor. Someone had seen the attached and assumed it was for a DVD release. However you will see that it is an advertisement for the HDTV distribution. Cmajor say they only have the intent to distribute the TV rights and the sound track.

 

Found it........

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

 

Found it........

 

Yes we know, all that was part of the previous debate. However, the Richter score and the TV rights iS not what the members are seeking, its a DVD release

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Yes we know, all that was part of the previous debate. However, the Richter score and the TV rights iS not what the members are seeking, its a DVD release

I have just made a second application to cmajor, for the release of Woolf Works on DVD and Blu-ray. I suggest that all interested parties make a direct request to them in the hope that they will see market potential. Don't think there is anything more to discuss at the moment,but will share any reply.

After this flurry of activity again on Woolf Works, I have decide to stay in and watch it again tonight, instead of going around to the pub. It is an exceptional production and the TV recording is in HD. I can open a bottle of wine and chill without going out into the cold. Anyone wish to join me, all welcome.

Edited by Stevie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, okay.  I searched for "c-major" rather than "cmajor", but even then nothing came up - and the little I found by Googling didn't seem relevant either.  Sorry :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really pleased that the Bernstein Celebration has been issued (especially as I didn't catch it at the ROH).  I hope it sells well enough for them to continue releasing less well known works. 

 

I can't think of any other company releasing triple bills like this - not with any sort of regularity anyway (except the gem that was NYCB in Paris).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, charliewise said:

I'm really pleased that the Bernstein Celebration has been issued (especially as I didn't catch it at the ROH).  I hope it sells well enough for them to continue releasing less well known works. 

 

I can't think of any other company releasing triple bills like this - not with any sort of regularity anyway (except the gem that was NYCB in Paris).

Not a lot as you say, but there are some triple and mixed bills out there which are certainly worth having in a collection
 
On DVD and Blu-Ray
Alonzo King Lines Ballet – ‘Triangle of the Squinches/ Sheherazade/Dust and Light’
POB – A Tribute to Jerome Robbins – ‘En Sol/In the Night/The Concert’
Nederlands Dance Theatre – ‘Jiri Killians – Three Ballets’
American Dance Theatre – Alvin Ailey – ‘Chroma/Grace/Takadema/Revelations’
 
And on DVD only
The Kirov Celebrates Nijinsky – ‘Sheherazade/Le Spectre de la Rose/The Palovtsian Dances/Firebird’
Devine Dancers Live from Prague – ‘Manon/Raymonda/Memoire/La Fille du Pharoen/Sleeping Beauty and others’
Great Dancers of our Time – ‘Varied mixed bill’
Hans Van Manen Festival – ‘Mixed Bill’
Edited by Stevie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/11/2018 at 14:12, Esmeralda said:

 

Thank you for your explanation, I am afraid I am not long enough to be on this forum so this discussion escaped me. Still finding it weird, honestly. Aren´t normally the rights not sold to c-major so this is a complete suprise turn by them? Or maybe c- major will sell the rights for the DVD to someone else. I mean, it is about an opportunity to make money I can´t believe that no one will see this chance...

Esmeralda, a tech type has tried to give a possible explanation. If this is right, there could be a technical reason as well as a commercial one. This is it, although I don't pretend to understand in the least.

It says it is filmed in HDTV, which is almost universally a lower resolution (about like
DVD's 720x480). There is no way to take a 5GB MPEG-2 (which is the size
of a 1 hour HDTV show with commercials, null packets, and PSIP removed) and
compress using MPEG-4 and maintain full resolution and quality with a
resulting 350MB file size.
MPEG-4 could do the job in about 2-3GB and maintain full resolution and
quality. This is a *huge* savings in space, but it's still a really big

file .
Whatever the reason, it appears that all we have at the moment is hope. Just keep fingers crossed. Hope this helps.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/11/2018 at 22:20, Vanartus said:

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!! It must happen....

Really sorry that you cant be helped with your student education. There is a film  Mrs Dallaway with Vanessa Redgrave on DVD and a  few clips  of Royal Ballet  production on youtube, which may be of some help.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Stevie said:

Esmeralda, a tech type has tried to give a possible explanation. If this is right, there could be a technical reason as well as a commercial one. This is it, although I don't pretend to understand in the least.

It says it is filmed in HDTV, which is almost universally a lower resolution (about like
DVD's 720x480). There is no way to take a 5GB MPEG-2 (which is the size
of a 1 hour HDTV show with commercials, null packets, and PSIP removed) and
compress using MPEG-4 and maintain full resolution and quality with a
resulting 350MB file size.
MPEG-4 could do the job in about 2-3GB and maintain full resolution and
quality. This is a *huge* savings in space, but it's still a really big

file .

 

Thanks for posting this, Stevie (not that I really understand it!). But I would just wonder why this would apply to WW and not to so many other works where it has been possible to produce DVDs? Was WW filmed in a different resolution? Just thinking aloud.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, charliewise said:

I'm really pleased that the Bernstein Celebration has been issued (especially as I didn't catch it at the ROH).  I hope it sells well enough for them to continue releasing less well known works. 

I hope it sells well, too, but the ROH itself is hardly a competitive sales outlet for recordings, when it charges £33.05 for this Blu-Ray, (£29.95 plus  £3.10 standard delivery) whilst at the same time Amazon are selling it for £25.29 with their free delivery option (which I find usually arrives in a day or two despite Amazon allowing for a longer period).

Even buying it at the ROH shop, with a 10% Friends' discount, it would be £26.95. 

 

Similarly with books - we recently bought "Ballet: The Definitive Illustrated Story" from the ROH shop at £22.50 after  Friends' discount, only to find  iit selling on Amazon for £16.82 with free delivery. The only plus is that we could ensure it was a nice copy and not battered by the delivery system.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Stevie, for posting the technical infos! I am afraid, I don´t understand them either😳

 

I just asked me the same questions as bridiem...Maybe we wouldn´t ask these questions, if we would understand the technical infos🙂

 

Ah, the Amazon problem...I have often the same thoughts - do I support the local shops etc. or buy it cheaper at Amazon...When I buy things from RB at the german Amazon page it is cheaper for me as if I would buy it at the shop at ROH.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

I hope it sells well, too, but the ROH itself is hardly a competitive sales outlet for recordings, when it charges £33.05 for this Blu-Ray, (£29.95 plus  £3.10 standard delivery) whilst at the same time Amazon are selling it for £25.29 with their free delivery option (which I find usually arrives in a day or two despite Amazon allowing for a longer period).

Even buying it at the ROH shop, with a 10% Friends' discount, it would be £26.95. 

 

Similarly with books - we recently bought "Ballet: The Definitive Illustrated Story" from the ROH shop at £22.50 after  Friends' discount, only to find  iit selling on Amazon for £16.82 with free delivery. The only plus is that we could ensure it was a nice copy and not battered by the delivery system.

 

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

I hope it sells well, too, but the ROH itself is hardly a competitive sales outlet for recordings, when it charges £33.05 for this Blu-Ray, (£29.95 plus  £3.10 standard delivery) whilst at the same time Amazon are selling it for £25.29 with their free delivery option (which I find usually arrives in a day or two despite Amazon allowing for a longer period).

Even buying it at the ROH shop, with a 10% Friends' discount, it would be £26.95. 

 

Similarly with books - we recently bought "Ballet: The Definitive Illustrated Story" from the ROH shop at £22.50 after  Friends' discount, only to find  iit selling on Amazon for £16.82 with free delivery. The only plus is that we could ensure it was a nice copy and not battered by the delivery system.

Bernstein Celebration Blu-Ray  is currently available on ebay uk at £7.78 (Auction) plus £5 p&p, brand new and sealed., from seller classicalmusiccollector . He despatches from Australia, multi regional, very reliable and always arrive within 10 days. Its best to shop around, but I did what others did, dived in to buy it early, despite knowing it would come up at this price

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Esmeralda said:

Thank you Stevie, for posting the technical infos! I am afraid, I don´t understand them either😳

 

I just asked me the same questions as bridiem...Maybe we wouldn´t ask these questions, if we would understand the technical infos🙂

 

Ah, the Amazon problem...I have often the same thoughts - do I support the local shops etc. or buy it cheaper at Amazon...When I buy things from RB at the german Amazon page it is cheaper for me as if I would buy it at the shop at ROH.

All these are assumptions, but if the Television rights were sold, then they would not have needed to film it in higher definition than HDTV and if there was no intention to transfer it to DVD, why pay the higher production costs. For Cinema streaming it does not need the higher compression, because it is done digitally and not transferred to disk. It is good to ask questions and to seek out answers. The outcome however is the same, it appears we are not getting it distributed, whether we like it or not.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bridiem said:

 

Thanks for posting this, Stevie (not that I really understand it!). But I would just wonder why this would apply to WW and not to so many other works where it has been possible to produce DVDs? Was WW filmed in a different resolution? Just thinking aloud.

It just doesn't apply to Woolf Works, there are many similar examples where productions have not been distributed on DVD,for much the same reason. MariinskyTV have filmed many Ballets for their TV programes, which have not been released on DVD. Many of which can be viewed on youtube where they have been placed without challenging copyright. They are good when viewed on a monitor, but when viewed on a large screen smart TV, the lower resolution is apparent.

 Royal Ballet live streamed Manon in October 2014 but never released a DVD or Blue Ray, despite great demand. We were advised that there was not a sufficient quality recording for this. Bolshoi, ENB, Northern Ballet have also streamed works through other media, but not issued them on DVD. Hope this helps with your reluctant acceptance.
Edited by Stevie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are certainly 720p - reasonable quality - recordings of the TV broadcast banging around on video sites if you search. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Colman said:

There are certainly 720p - reasonable quality - recordings of the TV broadcast banging around on video sites if you search. 

What sites, please ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Mallinson said:

Please don't answer that. This site is not in the business of promoting illegally acquired videos.

 

No, please don't answer! I did not realise any illegality was involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DVD players can be had for £20 and under in the UK.  It's hardly a major investment these days, and if the ROH and others are going to continue issuing recordings on the medium, then it would seem sensible for ballet/opera fans to have one - or even so they can play the "legacy" recordings they already have.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alison said:

DVD players can be had for £20 and under in the UK.  It's hardly a major investment these days, and if the ROH and others are going to continue issuing recordings on the medium, then it would seem sensible for ballet/opera fans to have one - or even so they can play the "legacy" recordings they already have.

 

1 hour ago, alison said:

DVD players can be had for £20 and under in the UK.  It's hardly a major investment these days, and if the ROH and others are going to continue issuing recordings on the medium, then it would seem sensible for ballet/opera fans to have one - or even so they can play the "legacy" recordings they already have.

It appears that this thread has somehow been hi jacked. It started as a question of why 'Woolf Works' was not being distributed on DVD and now it appears to have degenerated into the legalities of streaming, the cost of DVD players and other matters. It would be useful if a focus on the subject matter could be maintained without racing off at a tangent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hardly a tangent, Stevie, and a bit of minor thread drift is hardly unreasonable.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Stevie said:

 

 Royal Ballet live streamed Manon in October 2014 but never released a DVD or Blue Ray, despite great demand. We were advised that there was not a sufficient quality recording for this. Bolshoi, ENB, Northern Ballet have also streamed works through other media, but not issued them on DVD. Hope this helps with your reluctant acceptance.

 

Does this mean we will not get a DVD of a Manon more up-to-date than Rojo/Acosta? Surely not!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd thought we had been going to get a new Manon, or was I imagining it?  I'd also assumed that all RB broadcasts were of the same basic quality, technically speaking.  I could understand recordings being rejected e.g. because they came out too dark, or something, or because something was deemed wrong with the performance.  Yet they managed to release a recording of last year's Ashton "Dream" bill based on one performance which, by all indications, was never intended to be filmed for DVD ...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alison said:

I'd thought we had been going to get a new Manon, or was I imagining it? 

Presumably from the Lamb/Muntagirov live cinema screening ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Presumably from the Lamb/Muntagirov live cinema screening ?

No, the 2014 streaming example given, was Nunez and Bonelli. Will just have to wait and see if anything in the future is released from the recent Lamb/Muntagirov  streaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stevie said:

No, the 2014 streaming example given, was Nunez and Bonelli. Will just have to wait and see if anything in the future is released from the recent Lamb/Muntagirov  streaming.

I was referring to the Lamb/Muntagirov  streaming as the most likely source of any new Manon disc (more up-to-date than Rojo/Acosta).

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I was referring to the Lamb/Muntagirov  streaming as the most likely source of any new Manon disc (more up-to-date than Rojo/Acosta).

There is no response from official sources to the many requests for a release on DVD and Blu-Ray. So whilst a definite no has not been extracted, I prefer to say that it is a possibility and we can hope rather than assume it is definite or likely.

The only definite source on Blu-Ray at the moment is the POB version, with Roberto Bolle and with Aurelie Dupont's farewell performance. One could debate if it is better or worse, but it is still good. What is not certain is whether a release so soon after the POB release would be seen as an adverse impact potential sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...