Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

13 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I have fast fibre, and frankly it is not noticeably any better than the previous Broadband. And my test figures tell me it is fast. So until there are significant  technical adnances to internet streaming, I think the future of DVD and Blu-ray is secure. 

I hope so, Stevie; and yes, my latest broadband upgrade has made no discernible difference at all.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Stevie said:

HD and Blu-ray gives most benefit on screen sizes 42" and upwards. A Blu-ray player is capable of reading 20 times more data than a DVD player and similarly much more data can be stored on a Blu-ray disc, giving much more cabability for HD picture and sound.

Thanks for that - is that the boundary between LED and plasma?  Maybe I'll just stick with DVDs, then, having fairly recently *upgraded* to a 28"!

• Like 1

FAO Alison

Only Samsung still make Plasma TV. Everyone else has ditched the technology.

I doubt that you would get sufficient benefit from Blu-ray on a 28", you would need specially good eyesight. I think your main disadvantage is that most classical DVD's are produced in the lower definition American system of NTSC. A few are in the higher definition European PAL. Blu-ray is far superior to NTSC and in most cases better than PAL.  Check when you purchase because a few DVD's are marketed in the UK in both formats and UK DVD players will play both. Examples are The Bolshoi 'The Pharaohs Daughter' and 'Excelsior' - Manzotti, but there are many others. They are available in both PAL & NTSC,  but it is best to buy the PAL version, if not the Blu-ray. Amazon states the version and complaints are that they often get it wrong. Check the art work on the back cover.

• Like 2

I have no idea what anyone is talking about. :unsure: 

I have a TV that I inherited from my late mother. :) 

I know that when it 'needs' replacing (i.e. when I can no longer resist the concept of being able to access the internet through my TV) I will have to do huge amounts of research to find out what everyone else already seems to know. :(

I comfort myself with the thought that my late father, a highly intelligent lawyer, would have had no idea what anyone is talking about either. He retired before he had to use a computer, which is just as well since he would rapidly have become unemployable. :o

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I comfort myself with the thought that my late father, a highly intelligent lawyer, would have had no idea what anyone is talking about either. He retired before he had to use a computer, which is just as well since he would rapidly have become unemployable. :o

The headmaster of my son's Prep School, the last school in the country deeply entrenched in the 1940s, (my son is in his early 20s so you can see that is isn't all that long ago) refused to have computers in the school, holding the view that 'my boys are all intelligent enough to pick that sort of thing up later if they need to'.

Sadly for me, since neither I nor my daughters are remotely computer literate, that does not seem to be true in the case of my equally non-computer literate son.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

The headmaster of my son's Prep School, the last school in the country deeply entrenched in the 1940s, (my son is in his early 20s so you can see that is isn't all that long ago) refused to have computers in the school, holding the view that 'my boys are all intelligent enough to pick that sort of thing up later if they need to'.

Sadly for me, since neither I nor my daughters are remotely computer literate, that does not seem to be true in the case of my equally non-computer literate son.

Maybe it's not all as 'intuitive' as it's often claimed to be...

• 4 weeks later...

Amazon have listed for release on 6th December 19. Swan Lake from Kiev, National Ballet of the Ukraine, with Natalya Matsak in the lead role. This appears to be a version worth having, so having 13 versions already, it gives me a dilemma.

Attached amateur camera footage of Natalia Matsak in the performance, not an extract from the DVD/Blu-ray print.

Remember not to shoot the messenger.
  • Like 2

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 14:36, bridiem said:

I have no idea what anyone is talking about. :unsure: 

I have a TV that I inherited from my late mother. :) 

I know that when it 'needs' replacing (i.e. when I can no longer resist the concept of being able to access the internet through my TV) I will have to do huge amounts of research to find out what everyone else already seems to know. :(

Don't underestimate your late father, it wouldn't have taken him long. I remember when Computerised Maintenance Management Systems were first introduced in the workplace and it was only weeks before everyone was up to speed and driving forward its introduction and development.

27 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Remember not to shoot the messenger.

I followed your advice last Nov and acquired this company's Nutcracker and Carmina Burana and am really pleased with them so I think you're safe! Thanks's for the head's up on their latest release. I look forward to it.

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 20:33, David said:

I followed your advice last Nov and acquired this company's Nutcracker and Carmina Burana and am really pleased with them so I think you're safe! Thanks's for the head's up on their latest release. I look forward to it.

Nice to hear you are pleased with them. I think I based my recommendation on the production qualities of this company. However, the artistic quality of the cast has been an added consideration in this instance. It stars Ukraine principle Natalia Matsak in the dual Swan roles and an excellent supporting cast.

We can see her complete  Giselle, with this same company,  free on youtube channel, link attached. Unfortunately it is not available to buy.

https://youtu.be/Eo4yRCcty0k

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The DVD and BluRay of the Royal Ballet production of “Within the Golden Hour” / “Medusa” / “Flight Pattern” has appeared on Amazon as due for release on 17th January 2020!!

I have also been told in ROH shop that the long awaited “La Bayadere” from last November will be available in February.

Edited by John Graham
  • Like 8

I had an email from the shop mid Oct saying Bayadere was due in Dec so I guess it depends on who you talk to! I guess we just have to be patient. I'm not sure what would be left if they did edit out all the culturally insensitive bits though.  Meanwhile great news re “Within the Golden Hour” / “Medusa” / “Flight Pattern”. That date does look solid so thanks for that.

19 minutes ago, Tebasile said:

Bayadère getting later and later... Perhaps they're busy editing out all the culturally insensitive aspects.

Perhaps I am just not that sensitive or that I missed what parts were considered culturally insensitive, or that some are overly sensitive. It was written at I time when there was fascination with everything eastern, with very little being known about it. Would anyone care to expand on the insensitivity matters, I was just focussed on the music and the performances..

8 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Perhaps I am just not that sensitive or that I missed what parts were considered culturally insensitive, or that some are overly sensitive. It was written at I time when there was fascination with everything eastern, with very little being known about it. Would anyone care to expand on the insensitivity matters, I was just focussed on the music and the performances..

Oh dear, silly joke, I believe the serious discussion was elsewhere

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Graham said:

The DVD and BluRay of the Royal Ballet production of “Within the Golden Hour” / “Medusa” / “Flight Pattern” has appeared on Amazon as due for release on 17th January 2020!!

I have also been told in ROH shop that the long awaited “La Bayadere” from last November will be available in February.

Can you provide a link to the triple bill please, I can’t find it 

39 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Can you provide a link to the triple bill please, I can’t find it 

Below are the links to the DVD and Blu-ray on the Amazon website. However no prices are given.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatriz-Stix-Brunell-Francesca-Jonathan-Griffiths/dp/B081WP9WFX/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=royal+ballet&qid=1574878732&s=dvd&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatriz-Stix-Brunell-Francesca-Jonathan-Griffiths/dp/B081WR8GHV/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=royal+ballet&qid=1574878732&s=dvd&sr=1-1

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Graham said:

Hello John and welcome to the Forum.

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/11/2019 at 11:43, John Graham said:

Bayadere DVD and Blu Ray are now available for pre-order on Amazon with a February 21 release date.

Also able to be pre-ordered for the same release date is Natalia: Force of Nature.  Currently only the Blu Ray format is able to be pre-ordered.  There is a separate entry for the DVD format, but it has yet to go live for pre-order. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Drosselmeyer said:

Hello all...

I'm new round these parts, so be gentle!

Has anyone on here bought the new Nutcracker Blu-ray release by Opus Arte? I've noticed on Amazon there's a couple of negative reviews mentioning that the video recording is sub-standard with possible problems with the authoring of the disc?

I bought the blu ray when it came out and watched it for the first time on Sunday. I've got no idea what authoring means but there was definitely a visual quality to the picture that is unlike other recent RB Opus Arte blu rays. I first spotted it during the footage of the opening orchestra piece...I put that down to them perhaps using small HD cameras for the multiple viewing angles around the orchestra pit but there is something about the main view too.

Edit, I've just read the reviews, they seem to be talking about skipping etc....blu ray is not known for smooth scrolling and panning, I don't know the technical stuff about the reasons for that.

Edited by Rob S

I've just watched the first act of my copy of this blu ray for the first time and found the image to be stunningly sharp - more so than any other Royal Ballet blu ray I've seen. And very noticeably clearer than the 2016 Nutcracker recording I saw at the cinema on Tuesday.

The only thing I can think (unless the reviewers on Amazon had genuinely faulty copies) is that the more static images are so perfect, it's really like you're there on the stage with the dancers. But of course, when they move it's impossible for the focus to remain quite as clear as real life. So maybe that feels disappointing in comparison. But a really great blu ray. The Snowflakes in particular were easily the most visually stunning I've seen them on film.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just watched the newly released version of Swan Lake from The National Ballet of the Ukraine. It ranks very highly among the 14 versions of Swan Lake that I have on DVD and blu-ray, having dispensed with three other versions to create space. In both production quality, artistic merit and virtuosity of performance, this is up there with the best of the 'A' list companies. It is also one of the few happy ending versions that are available and we all love a happy ending. It is well filmed with very good vision and sound quality. All the principles are excellent and Natalya Matsak is very special, with the dynamics of her third act coda being worth the entry fee alone. The corps de ballet and soloists crisp and precise, orchestra perfect, costumes and sets very good. As noted elsewhere, there are differences between other productions, but other productions are also different with each other and there is nothing within this version to find fault. This is one to keep and to treasure. The second recent release in HD by this company and I am hoping for many more to come. A big, bold production from a top company.

• Like 2