Leotard tip

BankruptMum

For faded black cotton leotards which are still in good condition a tip from a friend if mine is to buy a black dye and re-black them - she does this before exams, they come out looking like new.

Not tried it myself but thought it may be useful to know!

• Like 5

Inspired by this thread, i have just ordered some pink dye from ebay. Once it arrives I will experiment with some of my dd's large collection of "grink" tights and see if it is possible to restore them to something approaching their former glory. I will report back with results in due course!

• Like 5

As we are on the topic of dying please can anybody confirm that if I dye white pants in tea they will come out flesh coloured? I need flesh coloured pants for my 9 yr old dd and can't find any anywhere but heard tea is good?

As we are on the topic of dying please can anybody confirm that if I dye white pants in tea they will come out flesh coloured? I need flesh coloured pants for my 9 yr old dd and can't find any anywhere but heard tea is good?

Have done this many times. Seems to work on most fabrics but colour takes strongest with more cotton-rich facbrics and less on those with high synthetic content. If garment/material to be dyed is new it's a good idea to wash it first to remove any dressing in the fabric then soak in tea whilst still wet. Only minor problem is that sometimes the stitching/trim will take the dye stronger or less than the main facbric. Tea staining is also fantastic for gving costumes a 'dirty/well worn' look if they are too pristine or colours are too bright!

• Like 3

Ballet tights take dye VERY well. If the pink dye is quite a strong colour it might be worth usung a little less podwer or increasing the volume of water. I would also wash the tights to be dyed in something (e.g. soda crystal sloution) to remove as much greyness as possible before dying. The 'greyness' is usually colour that has been picked up from other garments either in the wash (with dark leotards) or from wearing tights under dark coloured trousers - dark blue demin jeans seem to be the worst for this!