Matthew Bourne | New Adventures: The Car Man, London, July 2015

Foteini Christofilopoulou was at the dress rehearsal for 'Car Man' at Sadlers Wells. Here are a few photos:

19609360650_d6cf3b2444_z.jpg
Marcelo Gomes, Ashley Shaw
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

19771186326_937e5f9e13_z.jpg
Zizi Strallen, Chris Trenfield

19771181726_199432c8c4_z.jpg
Kate Lyons, Liam Mower

See more...

Set from DanceTabs: Matthew Bourne's 'The Car Man'
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 2

It's odd how Jonathan Ollivier is not cast at all for the next couple of weeks, having appeared last week. It's a punishing schedule for Gomes and Trenfield - I hope that neither gets injured.

Edited by aileen

Matthew Bourne's New Adventures Facebook page carries an announcement that full casting has now been provided but the Jonathan Ollivier is injured:

"We are pleased to now be able to announce the Principal Casting for the entire run of THE CAR MAN at Sadler's Wells

PLEASE NOTE - It is with great regret that we announce that Jonathan Ollivier is injured and will not be performing for the next two weeks. We hope that he will return in the final week of our season, but check in again nearer the time for an update.
The previously announced casting has been adjusted accordingly."

http://new-adventures.net/the-car-man/news/principal-cast-announced-for-rest-of-season-of-the-car-man-at-sadlers-wells

And I couldn't resist, so just booked for 6 August. I did see Car Man earlier in the run at Leicester with Chris Trenfield as Luca, utterly devastatingly fabulous! In fact the whole company was on dazzling form so I'd be happy with any cast! Chris, Dominic North and Ashley Shaw did a great Q&A after the show and I got a question in. Really interesting to hear them talk about the production and how Matthew Bourne and his company works. 

From the New Adventures Facebook page - it is the current version filmed last week.

Very exciting news for fans of THE CAR MAN! The production will be broadcast on SKY ARTS on Monday 3rd August at 8PM in a brand new HD film captured last week at Sadler's Wells . The cast features Chris Trenfield as Luca, Zizi Strallen as Lana, Dominic North as Angelo, Kate Lyons as Rita, Alan Vincent as Dino and the current highly praised company of Matthew Bourne's dance thriller.

Unquote

I have seen two casts: Trenfield/Strallen/North/Lyons and Gomes/Shaw/Mower/Lowenstoff. The first had a very slight edge for me because of North's gripping performance (as Angelo) in the scene with Rita after he escapes from prison. It was fantastic seeing Gomes as Luca. He did seem to be more of a star on the stage (he radiates charisma) and perhaps played to the audience a bit more. His Luca seemed to find himself the victim of circumstances/his desires/some unwise choices and showed more remorse for the series of events which he had unleashed whereas Trenfield's seemed to be a more sinister character right from the start.

It's a rip-roaring show with scarcely a dull moment. There is no need for a synopsis when the story is so clearly told. I mean it as a compliment when I say that you feel as if you are watching a film rather than a dance performance. If a bit of nudity and the sexual content aren't likely to offend then, imo, it is one of the best dance performances that you could take a dance newbie or refusenik to.

• Like 4

A few thoughts arising from last night:

• the CAR MAN (Luca), while lustily portrayed by Marcelo Gomes, did not register so much with me as Angelo because he isn't given so much dancing
  • I found Liam Mower's interpetation of Angelo very affecting: his ballet training from long ago shines through
  • at times I was in some trouble distinguishing Lana from her sister and the other women around her
  • the whole thing was carried along by the pacy live music (and I found myself wondering whether the RB's forthcoming version of Carmen would have the same impact - fingers crossed)
  • I do hope that Carlos Acosta manages to include a solo for his Don Jose which comes near to the yearning and anguish of that for Angelo by Matthew Bourne

A good evening at Sadlers Wells much enjoyed by all present - except, perhaps, the person next to me who did not return after the interval.

Edited to add that it will be interesting to see a different cast on Sky tonight.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

Am hoping to catch this on Thursday or Friday as am in London for the week.

If it's Thursday Nottsballet lover I'll message you ....we have met before at ROH a couple of years ago now??

I have a lovely week of dancing myself and then going to the Theatre! La Sylphide on Wednesday and the Almeida for Thursday of Friday. it's lovely having a holiday in London......never thought I'd say that!!

• Like 3

I enjoyed Saturday's matinee very much with Gomes/Strallen/North I particularly like Marcelo Gomes and Dominic North and they were a great duo on stage. I saw The Carman years ago but this time I found it a lot more violent I didn't remember it as being like that. However it was a good show and nice to see some dance after the recent drought!

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 2

I loved last night's show led by Gomes, Strallen, North and Lowenhoff. I thought the whole cast was on fire last night; they were utterly in character all the way through. They work so well as an ensemble cast and each individual dancer is inhabiting their role even before the show starts (for those that haven't seen it, most of the dancers are on stage in character a good 10 mins before the start, fixing cars, getting a drink at the diner etc!).

The energy and emotion was palpable (and audible!). I was gripped throughout, and appreciated all the nuances so much more this second time seeing it live, plus having seen the Sky recording on Monday. It really adds to the impact of the show being in the front row stalls, having a live orchestra and maybe having Mr Bourne in the audience as well! The orchestra was small but incredibly good. 3 percussionists and a staggering array of percussion instruments I've rarely seen.

Marcelo Gomes oozed sex appeal and charisma from his first entrance and his balletic prowess was very evident, particularly when leaping over a cafe table at one point!

Zizi Strallen was a sizzling match for his Luca. Then there is Dominic North as the aptly named Angelo. He has an angelic quality for sure. He absolutely melts your heart in this and every other role he does. Really moving interaction between Angelo and Rita (wonderfully played by Katy Lowenhoff) and his second act character development intensely emotional. North's performance as Angelo is up there as one of my top dance memories, along with his Edward Scissorhands.

So, overall, fabulous show, well deserving of the standing ovation.

• Like 3

Out of interest, *was* Jon Ollivier back dancing?

According to Facebook yes, he danced Luca on 5 Aug, which is fantastic news. He is also due to dance Luca Sat matinee and the closing show Sun pm. Wish I had seen all 3 Lucas!

Edited by nottsballetlover
  • Like 1

The last performance of The Car Man was cancelled this evening due to a 'tragic' off-stage accident. There are some details on The Stage website. Very, very sad. Condolences to the family.

Edited by aileen